• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/7-2/9

abc

Pico! Everybody else will be at Killington.

If I can get away from work on Friday, I'd hit go up Thursday and hit Pico on Saturday!!!

But it doesn't look like Friday itself will be the day. So I can't justify taking the day off. I'm tempting to work from the hotel on Friday so I'll be in position come Saturday.

Euler

Go somewhere with a fixed grip, if you're worried about holds. A resort that begins with a M and ends in a C is always Mr. Reliable.
Are you kidding? I'm planning on going to Magic on Sat, but reliable is not the word I'd use to describe the lift situation there this year.

BenedictGomez

But it doesn't look like Friday itself will be the day. So I can't justify taking the day off. I'm tempting to work from the hotel on Friday so I'll be in position come Saturday.

It wont. I dont get why some people keep saying that. The heavier snows wont even come until after lifts close.

BenedictGomez

00z GFS will be coming out really soon, that should be interesting to see.

But the main feature to wait for tonight is a few hours later when the Euro comes out. :popcorn:

Fingers crossed and breath baited.

timm

It wont. I dont get why some people keep saying that. The heavier snows wont even come until after lifts close.

I think the issue for a lot of people is not the skiing on Friday but the travel on Friday or Saturday morning. I know for me that's why I'm looking at getting to the mountain for Friday am.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Cantore does the best wrap-up I've seen anywhere.
http://www.weather.com/news/weather-winter/winter-storm-nemo-20130206

As far as Magic goes, it's been one issue, could have happened to anyone. The Black work is almost done. It's not like you're in the boondocks with no place nearby to go to. Been there twice this year, first a month ago and again last weekend. Also was at Stowe two weeks ago when the new high speed quad was out of service for two days.

abc

I think the issue for a lot of people is not the skiing on Friday but the travel on Friday or Saturday morning. I know for me that's why I'm looking at getting to the mountain for Friday am.
Quite right.

Any word on how wet/dry the snow will be? 10"+ of wet cement is actually not the easiest/enjoyable for some of us...

BenedictGomez

The 00z GFS just came out and is crushing virtually everyone's hopes and dreams.

BOO that model.

I wont despair unless the 00z Euro shows the same thing tonight. Fingers crossed.

abc

Quite right. Not for skiing, just get the traveling out of the way.

Any word on how wet/dry the snow will be? 10"+ of wet cement is actually not the easiest/enjoyable for some of us...

Last edited:

WinnChill

Quite right. Not for skiing, just get the traveling out of the way.

Should be decent fluff--heavier stuff stays south

ScottySkis

Should be decent fluff--heavier stuff stays south

Mr. Winn how do you think Gore will do. I am thinking of drinking my non snow tires 2 wheel drive car up Saturday from Orange County NY stay overnight in car and ski Sunday, I take off from part time job on Saturday for this epic storm. How you think driving in blizzards on Saturday or coming to end?:)

WinnChill

Mr. Winn how do you think Gore will do. I am thinking of drinking my non snow tires 2 wheel drive car up Saturday from Orange County NY stay overnight in car and ski Sunday, I take off from part time job on Saturday for this epic storm. How you think driving in blizzards on Saturday or coming to end?:)

Storm should be ending early Saturday AM--just depends on how the plow crews keep up with everything. Gore should do pretty good

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Latest NAM Run

CONUS1_ETA212_SFC_ACCUM-SNOWFALL_72HR.gif

CONUS1_MESO-ETA212_SFC_ACCUMSNOWFALL_60HR.gif

GFS
CONUS_GFS0P5_SFC_ACCUM-SNOW_60HR.gif

Cannonball

Love seeing these accumulation projections!!! But let's talk wind for a sec. That could be the dream killer for a lot of us who are pre-positioning for Sat. Whose going to be on hold? Where are the safe spots? I am definitely worried about holds at Cannon. Even if lower mtn lifts stay open with summits closed that is going to pack a LOT of hungry people into a small area. Wildcat is likely to shut down the summit which is a horribly frustrating situation I've experienced way too many times. Loon? Am I actually considering Loon over Cannon on a pow day? A lot more lift options with less wind exposure. Bretton Woods is usually wind immune. But less snow further north and BW doesn't have enough pitch to make a decent pow day worthwhile. Gah!

timm

After seeing the wind reports, decided to take Cannon & Wildcat off the list. Loon is on my maybe, Attitash another one to consider as an alternative.

BenedictGomez

The Euro actually went even further west and dramatically increased its' snow total for NJ and NYC, but it also depicts less snow for all of ski country now. As much as I love snow, I'd gladly sacrifice it to the mountains.

53150751128356224856838.png