• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best route to Sugarbush on Friday

El Bishop

What's the best route from 89 to Sugarbush (coming from Boston) if it is snowing on Friday evening? I.e., which exit is best? I have a 2 WD station wagon and don't want to get stuck with my wife and two year old son in the car. Thanks for any suggestions.

gmcunni

i'd take 89 to exit 9 and take 100B south from there to 100 to Sugarbush.

getting off 89 earlier means taking some back roads which could have poor conditions.

Smellytele

Well that are should not see as much snow as S VT or Boston. Timing is the question. What time will you be leaving Boston? It shows that part of VT it doesn't even start snowing until 5 or 6 Friday evening

El Bishop

Planning to leave Boston in the morning so it looks like we should be driving away from the heavy stuff that morning. Fingers crossed for a dump in VT on Friday night!

frapcap

i'd take 89 to exit 9 and take 100B south from there to 100 to Sugarbush.

getting off 89 earlier means taking some back roads which could have poor conditions.

This.

It will be slow going if the snow is falling fast and heavy. Expect ~4.5-5.5 hours. 100 isn't the most plowed road, but you'll be able to make do. If you don't have good tires, I HIGHLY suggest taking the route to Mt. Ellen and coming into SB the back way. There is a tall hill on the last mile of the drive that can be very difficult to get up if they haven't plowed/sanded/salted.

WWF-VT

I drive to Sugarbush most every weekend from the Boston area. When I drive in bad weather I get off Exit 3 and take 107 to 100 North. Slower going but better driving as 89 has sections that can be a real mess if the weather is bad.

WWF-VT

This.

It will be slow going if the snow is falling fast and heavy. Expect ~4.5-5.5 hours. 100 isn't the most plowed road, but you'll be able to make do. If you don't have good tires, I HIGHLY suggest taking the route to Mt. Ellen and coming into SB the back way. There is a tall hill on the last mile of the drive that can be very difficult to get up if they haven't plowed/sanded/salted.

Take the Sugarbush Access Road - not German Flats Road past Mt Ellen. There is a hill/curve on German Flats Rd near Sugar Run condos that is usually not good w/o snow tires.

ScottySkis

Take the Sugarbush Access Road - not German Flats Road past Mt Ellen. There is a hill/curve on German Flats Rd near Sugar Run condos that is usually not good w/o snow tires.
I took Honda non snow tires car up their couple years ago, not a good idea.

Grassi21

+1

I had 2 different white knuckle drives on those back roads. The first time really bugged me out when we were on a stretch of road that appeared to have no signs of civilization.

bobbutts

Leave lots of extra time, based on current forecasts it may be extremely high snowfall rates near Boston and probably improving conditions as you get farther north. Too early to get cute with timing, but you may want to avoid driving during the heaviest bands near Boston.

HowieT2

EXPECTING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF SNOW ACROSS THE REGION FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. THE BULK OF THE HEAVIER SNOW WILL FALL ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

The above is from the BTV NWS forecast discussion. I am not trying to dissuade you from your plan, but if you think you are going to outrun the snow, you may be mistaken. I've personally taken many trips of this sort, but with the wife and 2 year old its a whole different ball game. Good luck.

Smellytele

EXPECTING A PROLONGED PERIOD OF SNOW ACROSS THE REGION FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. THE BULK OF THE HEAVIER SNOW WILL FALL ON FRIDAY AND FRIDAY NIGHT.

The above is from the BTV NWS forecast discussion. I am not trying to dissuade you from your plan, but if you think you are going to outrun the snow, you may be mistaken. I've personally taken many trips of this sort, but with the wife and 2 year old its a whole different ball game. Good luck.

He is leaving on Friday AM so it won't be as bad as riding up with the (m)asses trying to escape Friday afternoon.

bdfreetuna

I guess you have already been convinced by now not to take Bethel Mountain Rd. on Friday in a 2WD vehicle. As you should not.

WWF-VT

I would get off the Route 100 exit off 89 at Waterbury and come south. That is your safest bet.

Rte 100 in Waterbury is Exit 10 , if you are coming from the south you get off at Exit 9 Moretown/Middlesex. Rte 100 south of Waterbury goes through Duxbury and there are a few hills that you don't want to drive on in a snowstorm if you are in a 2WD vehicle w/o snow tires.

nelsapbm

Come tomorrow (Thursday) if you can. I would not recommend driving up here in a raging snow storm with a 2wd car that does not have snow tires on.
Watches/Warnings are in effect starting tomorrow night. From the NWS Burlington:

AREA ROADWAYS WILL BE HAZARDOUS...ESPECIALLY DURING THE MORNING AND EVENING COMMUTES ON FRIDAY.

Also, this isn't just a coastal storm. At least for us up here in VT. Snow coming in from the west Thurs Night/Fri AM and then the coastal storm Friday afternoon/night:

CHANCES FOR SNOW INCREASE THURSDAY NIGHT WITH CONTINUED WARM AIR ADVECTION AND APPROACH OF POTENT SHORTWAVE AND ASSOCIATED SURFACE LOW FROM THE GREAT LAKES/OHIO VALLEY. WIDESPREAD SNOW ACROSS THE REGION LATER AT NIGHT. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 1 TO 3 INCHES IN VERMONT AND 2 TO 5 INCHES ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK ARE POSSIBLE BY FRIDAY MORNING.

Last edited:

nelsapbm

OP - What did you decide to do?
Its already snowing up here and just got word that there is a large accident on 89 (just north of where you would be getting off).
Be careful if you do drive up!