• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

trip reports on glades in the NE?

j law

Anyone have a sense whether most glades are open or will be skiable on Saturday? I'm thinking I'll want to be in the trees with the big crowds I expect (since this is the first powder day in a while).

I'd love to hit the glades at Magic or maybe Gore but I don't have a sense as to whether there is a decent enough base...

timm

Also curious as I was under the impression the woods had been wiped out most places and are starting over.

Cannonball

Can only speak for the Whites, which are mostly starting over. Very, very thin (but hard) existing base. Depends on your tolerance. Even 6-8" and the tree monkeys will be all over it.

bdfreetuna

Woods anywhere Killington > North should have enough base that they will be able to immediately open after more snow.

I suspect after this storm it's going to be full on woods skiing everywhere in the Northeast.

Bene288

Gore had little to no natural snow before the 18" dump in December. I skied the woods all day during that storm. Some of their glades get a little over blow from snow making. I'm hoping to be at Magic on Sunday after Gore on Saturday.

meatloaf

I agree with bdfreetuna, you'll be fine anywhere north of Killington. At magic I suspect you might hit some snakes. Glades at Killington and Sugarbush during the deep freeze a couple weeks ago had solid coverage (I made a trip report and took some pics if you want to get an idea). True it's probably thinner now, but the base is there and I'm sure that even 8 inches would do the trick.

k123

Gore had little to no natural snow before the 18" dump in December. I skied the woods all day during that storm. Some of their glades get a little over blow from snow making. I'm hoping to be at Magic on Sunday after Gore on Saturday.

I'm going to pick between Gore and Magic for Sunday. Can you post an update if you go to Gore on Saturday?

Hopefully they get enough to open the glades on Burnt Ridge.

I have a feeling that even if Magic gets 2 feet, I'll still be sinking down and hitting all kinds of obstacles, based on my experience there last year after an 18 inch dump with a larger base than there is now. I hope I am wrong though.

j law

I figured today wouldn't be "the day" so I went to Okemo since I booked a hotel in Claremont, NH. Only like 2 inches and the trees were all closed (and really unskiiable). I hit one of the "closed" diamonds on the Jackson gore side and it was "dust on crust" which is what the trees looked like. No

Magic is my likely target tomorrow. Any reports on how it was there today?

Bene288

I'm going to pick between Gore and Magic for Sunday. Can you post an update if you go to Gore on Saturday?

Hopefully they get enough to open the glades on Burnt Ridge.

I have a feeling that even if Magic gets 2 feet, I'll still be sinking down and hitting all kinds of obstacles, based on my experience there last year after an 18 inch dump with a larger base than there is now. I hope I am wrong though.

I'll throw up a quick update when I get home Saturday. I imagine some glades will be open, but I don't think it'll be a 20" dump like we were hoping.

k123

I'll throw up a quick update when I get home Saturday. I imagine some glades will be open, but I don't think it'll be a 20" dump like we were hoping.

Thanks.

Gore claimed 6 inches at about 4pm today, so I'm guessing there should be at least a foot total by tomorrow morning, if not more.

Bene288

Thanks.

Gore claimed 6 inches at about 4pm today, so I'm guessing there should be at least a foot total by tomorrow morning, if not more.

I PM'd you, but not sure if it went through. Here is what I wrote:

Gore was great today. Got 6" Friday and probably another 6"-7" early Saturday morning. Bumps on Lies, Rumor, Lower Steilhang were very soft and some of my best runs. Top Ridge and High Peaks were incredible, many people thought that they would be completely windblown but the wind really calmed down around 11:00 am and didn't seem to do too much damage. Not much ice or boiler plate. The bumps everywhere were great. Glades are a little thin, but still very skiable with lots of stashes around. I think they were at almost 100% today. Tomorrow will be pristine with little wind and sunny skies. Enjoy wherever you decide to go.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Glades at Cannon still not ready to go (IMHO and I have a pretty liberal definition of ready to go) but that didn't stop a few fools from dropping into TB, BD, and SS :eek: Mittersill was good to go as long as you don't mind some base damage and stick to the more well cleared out and less rocky routes. Someone said they came down Lost Boys and it wasn't ready. Another foot or so should do the trick for upper glades and most mid-mountain glades but lower glades may need a touch more than a foot for good skiing.