• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where will you be on Saturday morning?

ScottySkis

My company decided to block alpinezone a week ago! :( Why can't they wait till spring??? ;-) (they block all URL starting with "forum".whatever)

So, I'm missing all the self-confessed jonsing fun, and also missed the latest discussion. My options are shut out just like my access to the web site. I was at my mothers last night so I'm not packed yet. That means I can't really head over to NH spend the night tonight, even though I can work from anywhere tomorrow...

So I'm going to trust the forecast is right and the cats will get a good 10"+. That should open up all the trails at Platty Saturday. I have no experience on wind effect on its lift but I'm close enough I can check their condition on the way and if need be, change direction (or reverse track and go home to sleep if every mountain is on wind hold).

In the rare event that the cats get totally skunked, I also have the option to go to Jiminy, similar distance away. In fact, the only reason I haven't been there has been the Cats always have as much, if not more snow. But if this be the case, I can always make it a first.

I've never been impressed by the snow quality of coastal storms (nor'easter). So for me, it's just snow. Natural snow, welcome kind of snow. But the exact number of inches, I can't quite get excited about. So until I'm proven wrong, I'm not hugely motivated to chase the highest snow amount... in this case in NH.

That's for Saturday. I can repeat it on Sunday. Or head up further north. Gore, Pico, Bretton Woods are on my list.

Sorry about your company, Only savor on that is mobile internet.

Plattly should be fine I never heard of a wind hold their yet.

Puck it

lMy company blocked it starting last week as well yet I can still get to TGR... go figure lol

Mine did too. Then it somehow got changed back after a few months. If you have a home computer it is easy to get around. Load the free logmein at home and then just browse from work on the home computer remotely.

Edd

Working Saturday so it's Sunday for me. It'll be a last minute call for Wildcat, Attitash, or Gunstock.

meatloaf

One word: NELSAP

I just don't feel like dealing with the crowds and potential wind. The east is ravenous and there will be a frenzy...I don't mind leftovers in the least, but nowadays there are a lot of not-so-great skiers out there who psych themselves up for pow when they actually have no clue how to ski it. Plus I don't feel like waking up uber early and driving in the snow considering I barely slept this past week.

my 2 cents

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
With Cannon, crowds are going to be more of an issue than wind. They'll do fine in northwest wind. The bigger issue is that the mountain hasn't done well this season so its die hards are powder starved. The forecast is several days outside of a Saturday. They are a great option for so many people due to closeness to Boston Metro and right off the highway... particularly a good option when roads are bad and secondary road driving will be super slow going.

I remember either last year or the year before waiting in line for the tram and the line was literally out the door. Some people were pushing and shoving trying to jockey for position. I was ready 40 minutes before the first tram and still waited until the second or third tram and the line was still out the door. Absolutely nuts. Same situation: powder starved masses, weekend, well advertised, poor weather leading up to it.

Wildcat is straight out due to wind. Not sure how the triples do in the wind?

I'd pick Attitash over Bretton Woods. Better pitch and better terrain by far. Probably more crowded, though.

Not many people mentioning Ragged, not sure how they will do with the wind. Gunstock, another jack pot area with a HSQ. Sunapee, another jackpot area with a HSQ. Crotched, another jackpot area with a HSQ. No idea how these areas do with winds but they are all lined up pretty well for big numbers.

My biggest concern is crowds, especially in light of glades not being online. Even with two feet, most glades are still going to be dangerous (especially up north where the snow will be light and fluffy, not dense at all). And SoNH doesn't have hardly any glading for the areas that will get big numbers of dense snow.

Secondary issue for me is how early I want to get up and how far I want to drive in suck conditions. Going with the nearby sure thing with a stress free drive has merits.

I'll decide tomorrow.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sounds like a great time to bag Whaleback off ur list?! I may be there Sunday AM
Certainly something I am considering. Not sure they will get enough to open everything? I don't know how they are with ropes and I'd prefer not to see ropes when there is powder to be had. Harder to ski reserved trails at smaller areas if you know what I mean.

BenedictGomez

I'm not sure the Saturday crowds will be too bad. I think the road conditions in the flatlands will keep many away until later in the day.

Agreed. Not just because of road conditions, but also because of wind. If you look at the wind maps, it's going to be very windy in a lot of places, if not most places.

My company decided to block alpinezone a week ago! :( Why can't they wait till spring??? ;-) (they block all URL starting with "forum".whatever)

Maybe you could ask Nick to create a backdoor (or maybe alpinezone already has a backdoor?).

STREETSKIER

Powder hungry hoardes what do you excpect !! Every mt will be packed.. Just go and enjoy the snow

BenedictGomez

If the 00z NAM that just came out is correct, screw New England, I'll be skiing in the Poconos Saturday and Catskills Sunday.

Bene288

Staying in Lake George tomorrow for my bday, then going to Gore early Saturday. Magic on Sunday if I have any legs left.

BenedictGomez

54462553382839331746220.jpg

BenedictGomez

This post is purely for Scotty. Plattekill gets buried under > 3 FEET of snow from the NAM.

It's a bit like looking at a Victoria's Secret model. Sure, it's not going to happen, but it's nice to look at.

52955348458173158909075.jpg

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Looking to be Magic.

Red jacket and black pants, like half the other dudes on the hill. Though I should be the only one on white Palmer skis.

ScottySkis

This post is purely for Scotty. Plattekill gets buried under > 3 FEET of snow from the NAM.

It's a bit like looking at a Victoria's Secret model. Sure, it's not going to happen, but it's nice to look at.

52955348458173158909075.jpg

Thanks that is an awesome snow map or art lol.

bheemsoth

I think I'll be able to get out of work early today, so I'm thinking of checking out Granite Gorge tonight as a warmup for tomorrow. $20 to ski the last two hours (6-8 ....not too shabby.

xwhaler

Certainly something I am considering. Not sure they will get enough to open everything? I don't know how they are with ropes and I'd prefer not to see ropes when there is powder to be had. Harder to ski reserved trails at smaller areas if you know what I mean.

I was there late December for their opening of all natural trails. Shin to knee deep of light dry stuff on virttually no base. They don't blow on anything rated black on the map which is the issue. They have a little snowmaking on The Face which is the liftline trail u see from 89 but that's it. They allocate their limited snowmaking to the main blue routes (Spout, Whaleback)
Patrol dropped ropes as fast as they could that Sunday AM I was there. Fair bit of powder hounds queued up for this sleeper gem that day. Definately some waterbars, rock, stumps, etc showing thru once it got cut up. IIRC they reported 12" of base but it was deeper in drifts.
I was there the following Sunday after a thaw and those runs were all still open but it was basically 2-4" of cut up pow,dust on crust, grass/rock.
I love mtns taking a liberal approach with their terrain but that 2nd Sunday was quite iffy to have those runs open---but Whaleback did so I think you should consider them with confidence.
So my opinion is if they get the 15"+ they are forecasted for the mtn gets 100% open again.
Their steepest/rockiest glade YOOYM may not open as it is rocky and I think they are extra careful on dropping that.

The only thing I would caution is that if you get in line at 9 for opening you may not have access to all terrain right away. Patrol there is limited and it may take the few guys a little bit to get ropes dropped.
As for wind holds Whaleback is in a great position as well with the old double and summitt not that wind affected----hopefully they don't lose power.

If you have a Mtn Sports club membership u can get 2 for 1 Saturday tickets so turns for $20.
I may shoot up there Sunday AM for their $15 morning session.