• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TRAVEL BAN -- Mass and CT

Edd

Sunday is going to be a shit show to end all shit shows.

Ugh. Without taking the eventual totals and possible wind issues into account I'm not certain if the crowds will be worse at Gunstock or Wildcat. Gunstock is easier to get to for alot of Mass folks but the Cat will draw more powder hounds...unless the totals between the two go way out of whack and the choice becomes obvious. I wonder how much snow the Cat can hold on the trails by the time the winds are done.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Gunstock or Wildcat? If that is your decision, go Wildcat. Gunstock will groom a ton more than Wildcat will. When Wildcat is fully open, they usually have a higher percentage of the mountain ungroomed than average.

UVSHTSTRM

This is what a "Nanny State" looks like. This is what happens when politics gets involved with weather I guess. These bozo's will do anything to get face time. I find it funny that people always buy shovels during these "epic" storms. My question is, what did they do with the shovel from last years "epic" storm? What did they do with the shovel from the previous not so "epic" storm? I mean you need to shovel 8" of snow just as much as 24".

jack97

Ugh. Without taking the eventual totals and possible wind issues into account I'm not certain if the crowds will be worse at Gunstock or Wildcat. Gunstock is easier to get to for alot of Mass folks but the Cat will draw more powder hounds...unless the totals between the two go way out of whack and the choice becomes obvious. I wonder how much snow the Cat can hold on the trails by the time the winds are done.

If it was me....I would go to Ragged or Whaleback. Southern NH would still be near the sweetspot of the storm; both those places are hidden jewels to the locals and basically do not the get the crowds from MA.

btw.... keep that a secret.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not sure about Ragged. Would the Six run with the predicted winds? Ragged has no plan B options if they go on wind hold. Cycling the Speare Triple on a powder day isn't exactly my idea of a good time...

bdfreetuna

Oh well.. Mass and CT folks won't get to ski it.. but just think what good BASE this 2 feet of snow is going to make..

:smash:

Looking on the bright side. Taking a cute girl for first time lessons to Jiminy on Sunday... going to be a great day for that. Except I will probably have to park in another town.

And I will take days off work mid week to make up for this!

abc

This is what a "Nanny State" looks like. This is what happens when politics gets involved with weather I guess. These bozo's will do anything to get face time. I find it funny that people always buy shovels during these "epic" storms. My question is, what did they do with the shovel from last years "epic" storm? What did they do with the shovel from the previous not so "epic" storm? I mean you need to shovel 8" of snow just as much as 24".
Yeah, right!

That's what they say before Sandy too. F* that nanny statet. We're staying put right at home. Have another beer...

UVSHTSTRM

Yeah, right!

That's what they say before Sandy too. F* that nanny statet. We're staying put right at home. Have another beer...

Are you for real jackass? Just because you need some politician or bureaucrat to wipe your ass doesn't mean that others do. Have fun getting wood every time you hear the Weather Channel say "Nemo".

twinplanx

Are you for real jackass? Just because you need some politician or bureaucrat to wipe your ass doesn't mean that others do. Have fun getting wood every time you hear the Weather Channel say "Nemo".

Whoa dude. Angry much? Have a beer Hammer.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm surprised nobody has said the magic word regarding this driving ban. Liability. Its not that people need to be looked after more, or that the state wants to protect people. Its all about the state covering their ass if something were to happen.

MidnightJester

How is this they can go F themselves.. If you need to get skiing and paid for it. I would go. Be on the roads before the ban and drive through it..

MidnightJester

You would think that people including the govt havnt heard of winter Chains. They used to be common in areas with heavy winters. Make them mandatory and alot would be better. But the real issue is they have thin PC controled lives.

Smellytele

Just waiting for when more mamby pamby massholes to move to NH then we can have our roads closed too during future storms. Give the warning then if your an idiot and crash then it is your own fault and you can pay for your own rescue.

thetrailboss

Staff member
For the ski resorts: short term loss, long term gain. I bet that folks sitting at home will be stoked for President's Weekend/Week and will be booking their ski trips for next week. I bet the phones will ring off the hook with reservations and that next Friday night will be a shit show on the roads.

bdfreetuna

How is this they can go F themselves.. If you need to get skiing and paid for it. I would go. Be on the roads before the ban and drive through it..

Having some trouble trying to translate this post, but I support the overall vibe of your statement(s).

Also great idea about mandating winter chains. Let's take it one step further and mandate all wheel drive. Why stop there let's mandate everyone drive a tank in anything over 2" of snow.

Having trouble understanding Smelletele's apparently trash talk directed at MA residents as well. Especially that last sentence.. what a doozie.

Actually this entire thread is starting to get sort of belligerent. I can't imagine why. :beer:

twinplanx

Ban idiocy!! "been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding..." lol
Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Edd

I'm working tonight in Portsmouth, NH and it looks pretty insane outside right now. I can't believe we haven't lost power. I've been checking PSNH outages in NH. Around midnight there were about 451 customers without juice statewide. A couple of hours later they were reporting no outages. Hard to believe looking out the window.