• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TRAVEL BAN -- Mass and CT

abc

It's a lot more complicated than that. You have to consider an areas normal ability/resources to handle such a problem in the first place, as well as it's capacity to get outside help/resources when and if the **** hits the fan. Long Islands being, well, an island, was a bigger problem than "stuck cars". Frankly, most people arent inclined to travel in such weather to begin with, and I doubt those that do take such a risk give a ratz azz about a "travel ban" they heard on a radio.
Actually, Long Island did get help from plows from the south and west where the snow turned to rain quickly.

In fact, since we are on the topic of train, LIRR started service a whole lot quicker than the LIE. Those who could use the train were a lot better off in the storm.

And on the driving regardless of the ban, my co-workers from CT went home early BECAUSE of the ban and got home easily. Guy from Long Island left later and almost didn't make it home! You can tell people not to drive and few would listen. But if you say "ban", they'll listen up and plan accordingly!

Want to hit the hills for powder? Leave early and be there before the ban!

Morwax

Actually, Long Island did get help from plows from the south and west where the snow turned to rain quickly.

In fact, since we are on the topic of train, LIRR started service a whole lot quicker than the LIE. Those who could use the train were a lot better off in the storm.

And on the driving regardless of the ban, my co-workers from CT went home early BECAUSE of the ban and got home easily. Guy from Long Island left later and almost didn't make it home! You can tell people not to drive and few would listen. But if you say "ban", they'll listen up and plan accordingly!

Want to hit the hills for powder? Leave early and be there before the ban!
Why do people think what works in the big city will work everywhere else. Since when do we need to be threatened by elected officials to be good sheeple? The whole big gubment thing aint workin!

BenedictGomez

There's no reason a train that could be used by skiers is a "winter ski train" any more than highways that go to ski areas are "winter ski roads". We're talking about competing infrastructures.

If you truly believe the above, I cant even further a conversation with you. I dont want to be rude or condescending, but your knowledge of the reality of economics is incredibly facile if you genuinely believe the above. Though I do agree with you that a space shuttle to the moon for lunar vacations would be pretty cool.

What about zeppelins.. they could actually drop you off at the top of the hill after your jaunt through the clouds fully reclined, peanuts in one hand and a nice frosty glass of hopps in the other.

Lol. Yeah, pretty much.

You can tell people not to drive and few would listen. But if you say "ban", they'll listen up and plan accordingly!

Again, this is simply not true. If it were, I would have missed the #1 greatest skiing experience of my entire life, which happened during such a "ban".

C-Rex

I'm all for more freedom AND more personal responsibility. Let people do what they want, but hold them responsible when they do something stupid. If you try to drive and your car gets stuck, don't be upset when a plow buries it. If it's in the way, they should throw a chain on it and drag it off the highway, with no liability on them for damage, AND they should charge the owner for their time spent doing it.

People will not learn if there is never any consequence for their ignorance. We are quickly outlawing the effects of Darwinism and the result will be a diluted gene pool.

ScottySkis

What about zeppelins.. they could actually drop you off at the top of the hill after your jaunt through the clouds fully reclined, peanuts in one hand and a nice frosty glass of hopps in the other.. you could probably convince the pilot to open the doors and just swing in by the face chutes:beer:

I like this.:thumbup:

BenedictGomez

I'm all for more freedom AND more personal responsibility. Let people do what they want, but hold them responsible when they do something stupid. If you try to drive and your car gets stuck, don't be upset when a plow buries it.

I agree; and besides, the Dawg LOVES that part of his job!

C-Rex

All this argument is wasted anyway. In a few years, we'll just be able to teleport wherever we want to go.

The only issue I see is if we can only teleport living tissue, and not objects. Then we'd all arrive at the mountain naked.

:-o "I need your clothes, your skis, and your lift ticket." (in my best Arnold accent)

timm

The relative functions of two kinds of competing transportation infrastructures has nothing to do with "the reality of economics". But I don't really feel like having a conversation about that with someone who does seem to really want to be rude and condescending for no reason whatsoever. Enjoy.

Morwax

Im all for making getting to the mountain as hard as possible. Travel ban = hill all mine.

BenedictGomez

The relative functions of two kinds of competing transportation infrastructures has nothing to do with "the reality of economics".

Hate to be "rude and condescending", but the above sentence makes absolutely no sense.

I sure wish it did though.

I'd like to fly to Europe on a jet rocket pack (but only if Morwax's zeppelin isn't operational yet).

1696524-silverjetpack.jpg

BenedictGomez

My grandfather used to drive a plow for his town. His favorite part was seeing how far he could send mailboxes into people's yards. He got the biggest kick out of it.

Sounds like your grandfather was a huge douche. Probably fun to hang out with though, as long as he wasnt getting you arrested.

C-Rex

Sounds like your grandfather was a huge douche. Probably fun to hang out with though, as long as he wasnt getting you arrested.

He was a Silver Star recipient from the Korean War. He fought off a company by himself while wounded and while defending 2 wounded buddies for several hours until help arrived. I feel like he earned the right to smack mailboxes all day long after that. If that makes him a douche, then I hope one day I'll be man enough to be a douche too.

Riverskier

He was a Silver Star recipient from the Korean War. He fought off a company by himself while wounded and while defending 2 wounded buddies for several hours until help arrived. I feel like he earned the right to smack mailboxes all day long after that. If that makes him a douche, then I hope one day I'll be man enough to be a douche too.

It sounds like your grandfather was a war hero and I appreciate his service to our country. That said, are you suggesting that veterans have somehow earned the right to destroy innocent people's private property at will and for no good reason? If so, that is pretty ridiculous.

Morwax

So you would aspire to be a plow driver so you could flatten peoples mailboxes? And this is what your hoping will make you "man enough" sorry , hate to beat a dead horse here but I think you were just playing the empathy card and would probably like to detract?

C-Rex

You guys are the biggest bunch of asses I've ever had the displeasure of conversing with. To clarify, he didn't hit mailboxes on purpose, but if someone's was sticking out into the road and he hit it, he'd get a kick out of how far they'd fly into their yard. And to clarify further, if I were a plow driver and had the option laid before me to hit a mailbox, I'd happily send one of yours flying and accept whatever consequences purely for the satisfaction of knowing how bunched up your panties got over the whole thing. The END. Fuck you very much.

Morwax

You guys are the biggest bunch of asses I've ever had the displeasure of conversing with. To clarify, he didn't hit mailboxes on purpose, but if someone's was sticking out into the road and he hit it, he'd get a kick out of how far they'd fly into their yard. And to clarify further, if I were a plow driver and had the option laid before me to hit a mailbox, I'd happily send one of yours flying and accept whatever consequences purely for the satisfaction of knowing how bunched up your panties got over the whole thing. The END. Fuck you very much.
The fruit didnt roll far from the tree.