• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

TRAVEL BAN -- Mass and CT

wa-loaf

Former MA resident checking in... there are also a LOT of NH drivers that don't like snow nor drive well in it. Actually, surprisingly so. So and Central NH doesn't get too much more snow than some parts of MA...

Heard up at Sugarloaf this weekend "That's about as dumb as a Mainer without snow tires!"

snowmonster

I was skiing at Wachusett last Friday when I heard about the ban at around 1:30. Wa then announced that they would close up at 4:00. Left Wa at around 3:00 pm and the roads were already crummy. Numerous snowplows on Route 2 made the going slow. There was a truck behind me that was trying to overtake when it spun out all over the road. When it got to 4 pm, I started getting worried about being pulled over. I drove past the statie barracks at Concord and Brighton and they just waved me through. In the end, no one got arrested. I guess the penalty was there to get people to take it seriously. Speaking as a Mass resident, I think it was the right call. In a densely populated area such as Metrowest Boston, getting the roads clear for emergency personnel was the right thing to do. No need to have a lot of cars on the roads getting stuck in traffic or spinning out with emergency resources having to fight their way through.

And just to register a complaint: enough of this flatlander talk. There are as many knuckleheads in the mountains and on the beaches as there are in the city so give it a rest.

Puck it

I was skiing at Wachusett last Friday when I heard about the ban at around 1:30. Wa then announced that they would close up at 4:00. Left Wa at around 3:00 pm and the roads were already crummy. Numerous snowplows on Route 2 made the going slow. There was a truck behind me that was trying to overtake when it spun out all over the road. When it got to 4 pm, I started getting worried about being pulled over. I drove past the statie barracks at Concord and Brighton and they just waved me through. In the end, no one got arrested. I guess the penalty was there to get people to take it seriously. Speaking as a Mass resident, I think it was the right call. In a densely populated area such as Metrowest Boston, getting the roads clear for emergency personnel was the right thing to do. No need to have a lot of cars on the roads getting stuck in traffic or spinning out with emergency resources having to fight their way through.

And just to register a complaint: enough of this flatlander talk. There are as many knuckleheads in the mountains and on the beaches as there are in the city so give it a rest.

I live on a hill. Does that make me look flat?

SkiFanE

Thank you Governor Patrick. Flew into Logan at 2pm Friday (phew), got home grabbed car and headed out at exactly 4pm. Oooooooh...a "ban". Guess growing up during Blizzard of '78 and my Dad snubbing his nose at that travel ban, so we could head north skiing after we were cleared out, means it didn't put the fear into me. And I grabbed my hospital badge, since healthcare workers were exempt. Mass had lines of plows and sanders/salters on Rt. 95 up to NH border, very few cars, but that stuff makes tough slush when it's not plowed. NH and ME had barely plowed and no sand or salt whatsoever, but a lane or two down to black pavement. Turned my 3 hour ride to 4.5 hours, not so bad...and used much less gas going 45mph the entire way lol. Hubby and kids went up Thursday night and with gridlock it took them 4.5 hours.

So yeah..I benefited from the ban, for sure...but still think it was government going a little bit too far.

kingslug

Took a loong time to get to K yesterday, connecticut was still a mess, 91 was very slow going acccidents everywhere, emergency vehicles, buried cars and trucks...they got clobbered...

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know who really LOVED the storm and driving ban? Some plow truck driver in Mass named DOGG.

100% NSFW. More F Bombs in two minutes than Jeff Lebowski could muster.

:lol:

wa-loaf

You know who really LOVED the storm and driving ban? Some plow truck driver in Mass named DOGG.

I wonder how many mirrors he takes out?

AdironRider

My pops does plowing for the City of Nashua.

They call him Mr. Magoo for the amount of mailboxes he takes out every year.

wa-loaf

My pops does plowing for the City of Nashua.

They call him Mr. Magoo for the amount of mailboxes he takes out every year.

In Maine you learn to hang your mailbox from a chain so the plow doesn't take it out.

Madroch

Never heard of the ban while traveling to Sundown at 6:30 am sat-- maybe the gov declared after I was on road-- learned of it from guy plowing the sundown lot-- so I decided to obey the law and stay put-- good call....

soposkier

His youtube page has some pretty weird videos on it.....

SKIQUATTRO

had to head back to LI from VT Saturday...got on the road around 4ish (the mass/ct ban lifted at 4) figured the roads would be empty which they were, but it was a mess....91 was down to one lane, maybe 2 in spots, mostly driving on hardpack, not much blacktop showing thru, cars abandoned, trucks covered, exits not plowed out....cars were spinning out in front of us....thank god for snow tires...we cruised home...

Glenn

Drove up Thursday night...came back Sunday. 91 was narrow in spots, but passable.

D-2.5-GT

His youtube page has some pretty weird videos on it.....

Looks like "Dogg" was fired...
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/02/22/joy-of-burying-cars-in-snow-video-gets-lowell-plow-driver-fired/

People are way too bent out of shape sometimes. While posting the video might have been in bad taste, its not like he was doing anything wrong work wise. Everyone hates getting the end of the driveway blocked, but there really is no alternative, same with parked cars on the street.

I thought this was hilarious...