• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Storm Snow -VS- Existing Base

bdfreetuna

People disagree over what makes woods skiable or even "epic".

My motto is all skis are rock skis and if something looks like I probably shouldn't ski it -- then I need to ski it.

YMMV but I can have epic amounts of fun on 10" in the woods and even more fun in the spring when it's melted down to a few inches of corn.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
People disagree over what makes woods skiable or even "epic".

My motto is all skis are rock skis and if something looks like I probably shouldn't ski it -- then I need to ski it.

YMMV but I can have epic amounts of fun on 10" in the woods and even more fun in the spring when it's melted down to a few inches of corn.

Heck yeah! Gotta love destroying your skis on that last day of skiing!

Huck_It_Baby

I went to Bolton tonight. Pretty fun!

I hit a little ice and a lot of powder. Night skiing is pretty limited there but I found a couple spots with waist deep drifts. Poached a closed run which had lights on it under the vista quad. Not sure the name of it...it was my first time at Bolton. There was 1-2 feet of fresh snow on top of rocks. My skis took some shots but I made some memorable turns.

Low angle trees on the sides were pretty damn good.

It was pretty cold and very windy. Wind holds tomorrow will be an issue I think.

I think my initial thought that staying up here in the north where there is already base in the trees is a decent call. Might do Smuggs or Stowe tomorrow.

Still snowing...

keyser soze

YMMV but I can have epic amounts of fun on 10" in the woods .

That's what she said.:lol:

Actually I am the exact opposite on skiing thin conditions. I hate when I ski over a rock and let out a groan like I am shot. I guess when you only get to go a half dozen times a year you don't want to invest in new skis every other year.

So is there a thread with snowfall totals?

bdfreetuna

I've actually never taken a ski-wrecking core shot. Scratched the bottom up a lot, sure, but nothing that couldn't be smoothed over. Probably a big element of luck in play, here.

Probably when I actually wreck a pair of skis my tune will change.

jack97

....Probably when I actually wreck a pair of skis my tune will change.

Never busted an edge but have taken lots of core shots. After I found out how easy it was to repair, it made me go into the woods more even under sub par conditions.

Also, having a second pair handy is great; the deals you can find off season is awesome.

jrmagic

The way I look at it skis are just a tool to be used. Will I take a brand new ski into sketchy cover? Probably not but once theres a little time on them its game on. In the last 19 years Ive taken many a core shot, busted an edge directly underfoot and broke another ski in two on a rock. For me this is where fat skis shine. The extra surface area keeps a fat ass like me from sinking deep into all the debris.