• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarloaf - AlpineZone Summit 4.0

wa-loaf

69263_10200102983930921_881019700_n.jpg
Frapcap, Bruce getting ready to drop into Brackett.

17709_10200102985610963_2059430543_n.jpg
On the other side of that drop-off there lay knee to thigh deep pow (about as far to the right you could go in Cant Dog II)

529486_10200091620366839_1542660159_n.jpg
Brackett

547913_4998992466147_345175684_n.jpg
A virtually untracked Winters Way Saturday morning ...

Attachments

• 549348_10200621168520989_1083418472_n.jpg
    549348_10200621168520989_1083418472_n.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 159

bvibert

Staff member
Thats what i was thinking with that wind sat night.

I was thinking the same thing, I just wasn't sure if by summit he meant the top of timberline, or the hike up above it to get to the snowfields on the back side..

bvibert

Staff member
I wish I had skied the trail just skiers left of brackett on Sunday. On my way into Bracket it looked incredible.

Ripsaw? I wanted to try it too, but never got there. I remember it being pretty good the last time I was there.

WJenness

Ripsaw? I wanted to try it too, but never got there. I remember it being pretty good the last time I was there.

I heard a couple of folks in the lodge on Saturday (early) say that it was really dangerous and probably shouldn't have been open... And they sounded serious, not joking "Don't ski my trail..." kind of talk.

-w

wa-loaf

I wish I had skied the trail just skiers left of brackett on Sunday. On my way into Bracket it looked incredible.

Looked great from the top, but viewing if from the bottom there were some pretty big rocks sticking out all over the lower part.

JimG.

Staff member
I went to the first summit 4 years ago; great time but the conditions were disappointing.

This summit more than made up for that. Now I feel like I got to know the mountain and I'm really impressed. We got 3 days in, the first 2 in heavy snowfall. Then a bluebird Sunday. Wow.

I don't know where to start. So I'm going to wait until more pics get posted. But we made it until about 2pm on Sunday after First Tracks at 7:30. Spent the last 3 hours or so in Brackett Basin and other nice hardwood glades between trails. Just some great skiing. My son James is utterly addicted to trees now.

At that point the woods got crowded and we were shot, so we made the long trip home. Slept like a dead man, dreamed of skiing.

What a great time. And alot of great people too. And lots of good skiers. Looking forward to next year.

bvibert

Staff member
Looked great from the top, but viewing if from the bottom there were some pretty big rocks sticking out all over the lower part.

The people I saw skiing it were cutting back over to haul back before that lower section...

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Stef is a MANIAC

Party was a lot of fun and I had a great time meeting and skiing with everyone that made it. That being said ... I'm still recovering. ALLSKIING said it well, now i need a vacation from the summit.

Just getting to the airport for our flight back to Colorado. Looking forward to AZ Summit 5.0

JimG.

Staff member
Party was a lot of fun and I had a great time meeting and skiing with everyone that made it. That being said ... I'm still recovering. ALLSKIING said it well, now i need a vacation from the summit.

Just getting to the airport for our flight back to Colorado. Looking forward to AZ Summit 5.0

Stef, it was great to meet and ski with you and Jim...you added alot of personality to the event and made it all the more enjoyable. I wish we all had more time to sit around and BS but things moved so fast this past weekend I don't know where the time went.

Have a safe trip back to CO!

bvibert

Staff member

Greet to see and ski with you guys again. Hopefully it's not 2 more years until the next time..

You definitely partied like a rock star and skied hard the next day regardless!

Have a safe flight back.

rocojerry

ripsaw

The people I saw skiing it were cutting back over to haul back before that lower section...

We hit it pretty early after the rope dropped on it -- as you know, the snow was so light and fluffy that you still sunk to the bottom and hit whatever was underneath.... I hope that it was mostly ice, but either way, it didn't 'sound' good....
We made the best of it, its a great trail -- but this weekend early was not the call on it.. better to let people cut it up first so you can see where any rock/stumps were... my board escaped with a few flesh wounds, but i'm not sure if i picked them up on that run or somewhere else over the weekend....

The bottom section was roped off all weekend as far as I could tell.

good thing I own some PTEX stock.

bvibert

Staff member
We hit it pretty early after the rope dropped on it -- as you know, the snow was so light and fluffy that you still sunk to the bottom and hit whatever was underneath.... I hope that it was mostly ice, but either way, it didn't 'sound' good....
We made the best of it, its a great trail -- but this weekend early was not the call on it.. better to let people cut it up first so you can see where any rock/stumps were... my board escaped with a few flesh wounds, but i'm not sure if i picked them up on that run or somewhere else over the weekend....

The bottom section was roped off all weekend as far as I could tell.

good thing I own some PTEX stock.

Glad I didn't hit it then, thanks.