• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bruce Trail Waterfall Line

Huck_It_Baby

I've been hooked on the Bruce trail lately and yesterday I decided to turn left at the little Arrow sign which tells you to go right. If you have skied the Bruce before you know what I'm talking about. Turning left drops you straight down a steep waterfall/creek bed with multiple rock drops and away from the trail. One of the coolest lines I have skied this year for sure.

Does anyone out there know if this line has a name?

Huck_It_Baby

I always thought it was a Bruce variation. Great year to be on that trail.

If you haven't tried it I highly recommend it. It was magical yesterday!

It doesn't seem to be a cut trail. Looks like a drainage/ creek if you fire up google earth.

MadMadWorld

I've been hooked on the Bruce trail lately and yesterday I decided to turn left at the little Arrow sign which tells you to go right. If you have skied the Bruce before you know what I'm talking about. Turning left drops you straight down a steep waterfall/creek bed with multiple rock drops and away from the trail. One of the coolest lines I have skied this year for sure.

Does anyone out there know if this line has a name?

Yes, it is considered sidecountry and no it is not a trail but it is maintained. This line does have a name but I will not name it. Share it with friends....it's a great find!

BenedictGomez

Why is that? Because I have a question about a well known side country spot I just skied?

Because you're giving away the top-secret location that virtually everyone who skis or snowboards (and many who dont) already knows.

<--- Still of the opinion that the "secret stash" or "secret woods" spot is one of the dumbest things in the entire sport of recreational skiing. PRO TIP: Even though you're 100% sure it's a secret spot, it's NOT a secret.

ScottySkis

Because you're giving away the top-secret location that virtually everyone who skis or snowboards (and many who dont) already knows.

<--- Still of the opinion that the "secret stash" or "secret woods" spot is one of the dumbest things in the entire sport of recreational skiing. PRO TIP: Even though you're 100% sure it's a secret spot, it's NOT a secret.

I need to find the secret trees in Roxbury hill please help with that, my good skis are now rock skis, but I'm happy about the fun I was having when that happened.

Huck_It_Baby

<--- Still of the opinion that the "secret stash" or "secret woods" spot is one of the dumbest things in the entire sport of recreational skiing.

Right! I didn't think blowing up someone's secret spot applied when talking about a trail that is so well known. The Bruce is on hiking maps and part of the Stowe Nordic system in the lower elevations. It has wooden signs that say "To Lift" to help bring you back to the resort.

To me that makes it fair game to talk about in a ski forum.

snowmonster

Yup. It's not much of a secret stash when you can actually buy a book which gives you turn-by-turn directions to get to the said secret stash.

Haven't made it to Teardrop. You? So, when are we going? I would consider Steeple too as a less stressful alternative.

Huck_It_Baby

Yup. It's not much of a secret stash when you can actually buy a book which gives you turn-by-turn directions to get to the said secret stash.

Haven't made it to Teardrop. You? So, when are we going? I would consider Steeple too as a less stressful alternative.

I've skinned TD a few times this season and had a great time. I've been meaning to do Steeple too. I've been finding a lot of fun stuff on the west side of Mansfield and Dewy Mountain.

I'm probably going to be in the Jay area all this weekend and not Stowe but still willing to link up with you for TD at some point. I assume you would want to access it from the lift and not skin it?

What makes Steeple less stressful? The fact that it's on the Eastern side and easier for you to get to?

snowmonster

I've skinned TD a few times this season and had a great time. I've been meaning to do Steeple too. I've been finding a lot of fun stuff on the west side of Mansfield and Dewy Mountain.

I'm probably going to be in the Jay area all this weekend and not Stowe but still willing to link up with you for TD at some point. I assume you would want to access it from the lift and not skin it?
Big Jay?

I wouldn't mind accessing it from Underhill. Why pay $80 for a ticket you will use only once?

What makes Steeple less stressful? The fact that it's on the Eastern side and easier for you to get to?
You got it. I think shuttling a car to the other side is the big logistical nightmare. Besides, lots of entry points for the Steeple -- Stowe or Trapp.

Huck_It_Baby

Big Jay?

I wouldn't mind accessing it from Underhill. Why pay $80 for a ticket you will use only once?

You got it. I think shuttling a car to the other side is the big logistical nightmare. Besides, lots of entry points for the Steeple -- Stowe or Trapp.

Yes Big Jay probably one of the days depending on weather. Gonna be up there?

I guess it might be worth the $$ at Stowe if you catch a powder day and ski all morning in the resort and then hike up to the TD after lunch. Ski TD down to the CCC rd or WB trail and then skin back up over to the Devil's DishPan and back down into the XC trails to return the resort. Maybe even hit Steeple on the return loop if there is enough time. OR skin back up TD, hitting the old nose dive trail from the summit down to the start of the Bruce.

Pkeady16

I just did this trail recently and had to walk all the wall down the river until my friend and I found a hiking trail that lead us back to the Bruce Trail and finally some cross country trails. How did you guys get out?

Huck_It_Baby

I just did this trail recently and had to walk all the wall down the river until my friend and I found a hiking trail that lead us back to the Bruce Trail and finally some cross country trails. How did you guys get out?

It has to snow to go skiing.

BenedictGomez

This has to be a joke?