Florida Skier Gets $800k [Default] Judgment Against Snowmass Snowboarder

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Post Florida Skier Gets $800k [Default] Judgment Against Snowmass Snowboarder

Apparently last year the snowboarder "jumped from a catwalk" onto the plaintiff, resulting in a fractured tibia-fibula, fractured humerus and broken ankle for the woman.

The woman sued and the snowboarder, who works two jobs in Snowmass, did not answer. She got a default judgment against him for $796,000.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/20214...snowmass-crash

The case was based upon the snowboarder failing to comply with the Colorado Ski Safety Act because the plaintiff "was the downhill skier, who has the right of way under state law."

Plaintiff has moved to garnish the guy's wages until she is paid.

Boy, this sucks.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Apparently last year the snowboarder "jumped from a catwalk" onto the plaintiff, resulting in a fractured tibia-fibula, fractured humerus and broken ankle for the woman.

The woman sued and the snowboarder, who works two jobs in Snowmass, did not answer. She got a default judgment against him for $796,000.

http://www.aspentimes.com/news/20214...snowmass-crash

The case was based upon the snowboarder failing to comply with the Colorado Ski Safety Act because the plaintiff "was the downhill skier, who has the right of way under state law."

Plaintiff has moved to garnish the guy's wages until she is paid.

Boy, this sucks.
    Why does this suck? Seems reasonable to me. If anything sucks it is that the woman will probably not even recoup her legal fees from this irresponsible snowboarder.

yea i doubt she collects much of anything. doesnt sound like the snowboarder has deep pockets. i don't know how i feel about this. if we can assume this is an accident, then i think it falls under the inherent risks of skiing, especially doing so at a public and busy ski resort. it also sounds like she was standing in a blind spot. yeah she was the downhill skier with the right of way, but ms florida plaintiff was probably not observing the best ski etiquette either.

Wonder how many law suits happen down the line because of this result.

Whole situation sucks.

Sucks she was hurt so badly

Sucks he made such a poor decision that he will be financially reminded of it the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    yea i doubt she collects much of anything. doesn't sound like the snowboarder has deep pockets. i don't know how i feel about this. if we can assume this is an accident, then i think it falls under the inherent risks of skiing, especially doing so at a public and busy ski resort. it also sounds like she was standing in a blind spot. yeah she was the downhill skier with the right of way, but ms florida plaintiff was probably not observing the best ski etiquette either.
    I don't think that being run into by an out-of-control skier (or in this case, rider) is within the risks that any skier (or rider) is accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    ....Sucks he made such a poor decision that he will be financially reminded of it the rest of his life.
    Isn't that something. There was a time when people went skiing to get away from the daily BS of society
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    I don't think that being run into by an out-of-control skier (or in this case, rider) is within the risks that any skier (or rider) is accepting.
    we dont know that he was out of control. its entirely possible, and sounds even likely, that he was jumping a lip and couldn't see the skier standing in the landing until it was too late. people shouldnt stop or sit in blind landings.

No, people shouldn't stop in spots where they might not be visible from approaching skiers, but the responsibility falls on the jumper to have a spotter if the landing is blind.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    No, people shouldn't stop in spots where they might not be visible from approaching skiers, but the responsibility falls on the jumper to have a spotter if the landing is blind.
    This.

The snowboarder is 40 years old, not some dumb kid. He might have been stoned, ( it is Colorado after all ) but the article doesn't say. You don't get air off a blind catwalk. Build a jump and have buds monitor for anyone down slope before you launch, or use the terrain park.

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post

The woman sued and the snowboarder, who works two jobs in Snowmass, did not answer. She got a default judgment against him for $796,000. Plaintiff has moved to garnish the guy's wages until she is paid.
    The irresponsible wastrel likely makes $7.96 an hour. Good luck recovering that judgement.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information