• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Canadian Police on Snowboards

hippiechick

How do they figure this is worth the money? (Not that the whole 'war on drugs' is worth any money anyway, but...)
Take the cost of the salary for the cop, equipment, etc, times... let's say 3-4 cops on a hill. They might bust one person a day, with most likely less than an eighth. (who packs a fat bag skiing, anyway?)
Justified? Methinks not. Hopefully the morons here won't get any bright ideas and decide to waste even more money on that ridiculousness.

Smellytele

Stupid and a waste of time. Just a couple of volunteer troopers looking for some free boarding and trying to feel big and important with guns.

ScottySkis

I guess I will not be in Canada any time soon, home of Vancouver and coffee shops. Just another stupid thing for police to do.

BenedictGomez

You can certainly make an argument that drinking and doing drugs on the slopes is dangerous, but this is positively ridiculous.

Agree with those who think it's a cheap ploy to not only ski/board for free, but to get PAID to do it.

bobbutts

Unless they are in the same gondola car, I don't see how this is going to stop people from smoking on the lifts. Also as they mentioned in the article, the greater danger is drunk skiers, and they are all but encouraged by the police and the resort.

Huck_It_Baby

Unless they are in the same gondola car, I don't see how this is going to stop people from smoking on the lifts. Also as they mentioned in the article, the greater danger is drunk skiers, and they are all but encouraged by the police and the resort.

True. Not gonna be hard for Canadian stoners to avoid the guy in the big yellow snow suit with a pistol!

Cornhead

Now I know why I didn't opt for NYS enhanced driver's license.

bobbutts

If he or she is not pretending to be a civilian, and they maybe watch video camera, cops can be deceiving.
You are right of course, but based on the story, I think these guys in particular are going to be in these obnoxious uniforms.
2013-02-25_160226.jpg

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Are they going to sit back facing the slope in blind-spots (like in picture) with their guns hanging out? Hybrid from some snowboaders and cops going radar for speeding?

This is so stupid. I guess RCR (owner of Nakiska and Louise) wanted the cops on their hills? It is Alberta after all.

Huck_It_Baby

Are they going to sit back facing the slope in blind-spots (like in picture) with their guns hanging out? Hybrid from some snowboaders and cops going radar for speeding?

This is so stupid. I guess RCR (owner of Nakiska and Louise) wanted the cops on their hills? It is Alberta after all.

Is Alberta known for strong police presence?

darent

maybe they should patrol for STD spreaders, I read a article that said Banff area had the highest STD rates in all of canada!!