• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whiteface & Gore Advertisement / Where is Belleayre

catskills

The AlpineZone web site has constant Whiteface and Gore advertisements. There are NO Belleayre advertisements on AlpineZone that I have seen recently. You would think that ORDA would spend EQUAL amounts of advertisement money on Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface. Obviously, ORDA makes NO attempt to spend equal amounts of advertisement money between the three resorts. :roll:

abc

I don't know just prefer Platty which is 20 minutes further.
Bell vs Platty:

Midweek: you have no choice, Platty isn't open. So go ski Bell. (or Hunter, depending on what deal you can get for either)

Low snow season: Bell makes snow for more trails than Platty. Most times, Platty has more natural snow so can do without the man made. But if the natural are so really, really low, Bell has the edge, especially for say a few inches after a long drought. On Platty, it'll be dirt underneath and the 4-6" wouldn't be enough. While at Bell it would be 4-6" on top of a man-made base which could be pretty nice.

The rest of the time, Platty wins.

If you do go to Bell, park at the upper lot. So you don't waste half an hour working your way through the lower mountain beginner area just getting to the blue/black section of the mountain.

skiking4

Belleayre has a serious run out problem. For any advanced skier, you can't get more than two or three hundred vertical of actual diamond skiing before colliding with quite flat intermediate terrain unless you hike on over to Cathedral.

Mpdsnowman

Most likely you dont see much advertising because it is owned by the state of new york and I could see them spending advertising at white face or gore and not bell simply because tourism drives the other two as bell is more localized imo...

catskills

Most likely you dont see much advertising because it is owned by the state of new york and I could see them spending advertising at white face or gore and not bell simply because tourism drives the other two as bell is more localized imo...

It changed this year. Belleayre is now managed by ORDA, which now manages Whiteface, Gore, and Belleayre. Check it out.

http://www.orda.org/corporate/

I now see the http://www.orda.org WEB site has changed to give you a choice to Whiteface or ORDA. A few months ago the http://www.orda.org took you directlyto this page http://www.orda.org/corporate/. This recent change says it all. Whiteface is ORDAs highest priority leaving both Gore and Belleayre lower on their priority list. Belleayre was suppose to have an equal voice and a seat at the table on the ORDA board of directors with the addition of Joe Kelly. I think Joe Kelly should look at the ratio of advertising dollars spent on each of the 3 resorts. Even here on AlpineZone, Whiteface advertisement is on the top of each page and GORE advertisement sometimes slides in with zero advertisement on AlpineZone for Belleayre.

ScottySkis

Why does NY run a company that runs ski and snowboarding places. Their horrible at making money period. That and stupid laws about about everything. To many people. Corrupt up. But I still live here for now.

legalskier

The AlpineZone web site has constant Whiteface and Gore advertisements. There are NO Belleayre advertisements on AlpineZone that I have seen recently. You would think that ORDA would spend EQUAL amounts of advertisement money on Belleayre, Gore, and Whiteface. Obviously, ORDA makes NO attempt to spend equal amounts of advertisement money between the three resorts. :roll:

Interesting point.
The only thing I can surmise is that ORDA took over quite recently & hasn't gotten all aspects of Belle's operation up to speed. Maybe they're assessing things before they make any decisions.
From what I've read in the media about their budgeting decisions, WF/LP does seem to be the jewel in the ORDA crown, but having been to Gore recently it's also clear that ORDA has made a substantial investment there. If they do the same at Belle, it will only benefit its infrastructure too. It wouldn't take nearly as much, as Belle is much smaller than either of the others; so the bucks there will have more bang.
Only time will tell.

BenedictGomez

Curios if anyone has seen a state report similar to an income statement for the 3 areas?

I've never seen this, but the scuttlebutt has always been that Belleayre loses money, though I have heard nothing of Gore and Whiteface. Whiteface is such a behemoth, I would think that barring complete incompetence it has to make money, but Gore I'm unsure of.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
You guys have me in terms of why. Each mountain might have a unique budget even though they are all under the same statewide umbrella.

Cornhead

They must be trying to increase visits to WF, I used to get a similar discount at Gore with my season's pass to Greek Peak, now I get only $10 off at Gore, while I can ski WF any day but a holiday for $35. Needless to say, I've been going to WF a lot more recently, but with $4 a gallon gas, the point is almost moot.

BenedictGomez

When's the 3 mountain pass coming out?

Will that ever happen?

Most people see that as great news for Belleayre. I view it exactly the opposite - that all a 3 mountain pass would do is draw some Bell skiers to Gore and Whiteface occasionally. Nobody local to Gore or Whiteface is going to trek to Belleayre.

4aprice

Will that ever happen?

Most people see that as great news for Belleayre. I view it exactly the opposite - that all a 3 mountain pass would do is draw some Bell skiers to Gore and Whiteface occasionally. Nobody local to Gore or Whiteface is going to trek to Belleayre.

Good point BG but the majority of the population lives south of Belleayre. Might entice some of the Vermont tourist crowd to stay on the NY side of I-87. I understand people do travel south from Albany into the Catskills.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ