First at Mt. Snow...tips? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

First at Mt. Snow...tips?

Awesome tips everyone... love this board and the people on it! Shoud be a great trip.

I like far right side of mountain (canyon express??) for fun easy cruising. Several trails off a lift that doesn't seem to get too busy (at least when I've been there). Easy access to waffle hut too!!
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

When I was a beginner/low intermediate I went to Mt Snow a ton. This was in the early-mid 90s but it hasn't changed *that* much. The Canyon chair services some fantastic blues. Get there early, ride the bluebird and take long john/deer run down. You will love it.

Ride the 'Bird once...just to say you did. It's a cool experience. Canyon will have shorter lines and give you access to Snowdance which is a nice cruiser. Rollercoaster under Canyone is nice too. The Grand Summit usually has shorter lines then the Bluebird on the weekends. Long John is a nice long run...but can get a busy. Head over to the terrain park just to see what it's like. You can ski around the features.

After 9 it may be tough to find a close spot. Things usually wind down after President's Day, but with a foot of snow, it'll probably bring people up. I just took a look at the web cams and it's fairly busy up there now for a Friday. For $15 you can have preferred parking which is righ near the base lodge.

Have fun! And let us know how the trip goes.
    SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    If you want some great non lodge food, eat under their fancy hotel on the hill in the deli, great sandwiches, never busy like the lodge. Place is for everyone but mainly people in hotel use it gmGrand Resort hotel I believe.
    +1, I'm a Mount Snow regular, Scotty is 100% correct . The Deli is seldom crowded and it has great hot selections too! This is where many Mount Snow employees , ski patrol and Ambasadors eat.

Avoid the two beginner trails, Long John and Deer Runfrom the summit like the plague. They are crowded, skiied off and icy. You will have to start down them to get off the summit but turn left onto Ridge for a great run that avoids the lower portion of these two trails of doom. Also, look for Snowdance off of the Canyon Express lift for a sweet intermediate cruiser. I disagree with others who say there is nothing at Mt. Snow a beginner can't navigate. There are plenty of steeps and moguls that would make a beginner sad. Stick to the blues, though and you should be good to go.

Well, it was a great trip. We stayed at the Wilmington Inn which was just delightful. The innkeepers, Jason and Alicia, were great and it seemed like a great value. They gave us a $10 coupon fir the 1846 Tavern which didnt disappoint. Great burger and better fish and chips and some music to boot.

We got to Snow early and scored killer parking that was as good as the $15 Preferred. After getting our lift tickets, we headed straight for Blue Bird... AWESOME! That early there was no wait and, as advertised, it was worth the trip. We did Big and Little John using the Summit Express which had zero wait. Because it was chilly, a bit of wind and flurries, the crowds were sticking ti the BBX. We stuck to Summit and Canyon lifts all day.

I thought there was some variation in the blues where some were definitely a little more challenging for me because of their narrowness, but nothing that probably didnt make me a better skier. My son never complained. We had our yummy waffle and had a great time. Thanks everyone for the advice...it really helped!

Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

Glad you had a great time at my home mountain!
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Re: First at Mt. Snow...tips?

Quote Originally Posted by fluid164 View Post
    Well, it was a great trip. We stayed at the Wilmington Inn which was just delightful. The innkeepers, Jason and Alicia, were great and it seemed like a great value. They gave us a $10 coupon fir the 1846 Tavern which didnt disappoint. Great burger and better fish and chips and some music to boot.

We got to Snow early and scored killer parking that was as good as the $15 Preferred. After getting our lift tickets, we headed straight for Blue Bird... AWESOME! That early there was no wait and, as advertised, it was worth the trip. We did Big and Little John using the Summit Express which had zero wait. Because it was chilly, a bit of wind and flurries, the crowds were sticking ti the BBX. We stuck to Summit and Canyon lifts all day.

I thought there was some variation in the blues where some were definitely a little more challenging for me because of their narrowness, but nothing that probably didnt make me a better skier. My son never complained. We had our yummy waffle and had a great time. Thanks everyone for the advice...it really helped!
    Nice going the Burger joint their,I haven't yet but soon before my I stop eating them, 1600, glad you enjoy the hill to, it is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Euler View Post
    Avoid the two beginner trails, Long John and Deer Runfrom the summit like the plague. They are crowded, skiied off and icy. You will have to start down them to get off the summit but turn left onto Ridge for a great run that avoids the lower portion of these two trails of doom. Also, look for Snowdance off of the Canyon Express lift for a sweet intermediate cruiser. I disagree with others who say there is nothing at Mt. Snow a beginner can't navigate. There are plenty of steeps and moguls that would make a beginner sad. Stick to the blues, though and you should be good to go.
    I think Mount Snow is a poor beginner's mountain for those reasons: the two learner's areas are a long distance apart, and the two long green cruisers tend to be over-crowded and are quickly skied off. But once you're past the beginner's stage, there are dozens of ways down, many of which are off the beaten path and not particularly crowded.

Thread Information