• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First at Mt. Snow...tips?

fluid164

Heading to Mt. Snow for first time with my son, age 12. We're beginner/intermediate skiiers. Anyone ave comments, tips on making it a great trip?
thanks in advance.

ScottySkis

Whole place has great crusing runs. I only went once this year. Definitely enjoy the couch 6 pack quad. Do lunch after 1 or before 12 when everyone else is in the lodge.

drjeff

Beginner/Intermediate- mainly stick to the Main Face and Sunbrook areas- just tons of great intermediate cruisers all over both those areas.

Lifts wise- gotta ride the Bluebird atleast once! If its cold and windy you may choose to wait in the line (often can be 10-15+ min at the peak of a weekend crowd) because its great to be out of the cold + wind on the ride up. If the weather is nice, either ride the Grand Summit Express (parallels the Bluebird top to bottom but no bubble cover) or look to the Sundance triple for good cruising options

If your kid likes jumps at all, atleast take a quick spin through the Carinthia

hippiechick

Mt Snow is really the perfect mountain for beginner/ intermediate. It's just covered in blue runs, the natural terrain is great. I've been there twice this year after a decent snow, and it's been a blast. Really anywhere you head down it will be all right for skill level. I think there's only one small section that's a black, and even that isn't too challenging because it's a pretty short stretch of steep.

ScottySkis

Mt Snow is really the perfect mountain for beginner/ intermediate. It's just covered in blue runs, the natural terrain is great. I've been there twice this year after a decent snow, and it's been a blast. Really anywhere you head down it will be all right for skill level. I think there's only one small section that's a black, and even that isn't too challenging because it's a pretty short stretch of steep.

So your a beginner still,?

hippiechick

So your a beginner still,?

Nope. I consider myself a very strong intermediate skier. I can follow you wherever you go (as long as you're not hucking off 30 ft cliffs or anything) but I may not be able to keep up with you. I've done a lot of pretty technical stuff, but I'm still trying to master it. I have good days and not so good days.

fluid164

Parking? Crowds?

Whole place has great crusing runs. I only went once this year. Definitely enjoy the couch 6 pack quad. Do lunch after 1 or before 12 when everyone else is in the lodge.

Many thanks for the 20/20. A couple more questions:

MOOver isnt an option, so have to park. If I get there early (9) is there any problem parking close to Base?

What time do the crowds show on Sundays?:snow:

ScottySkis

Nope. I consider myself a very strong intermediate skier. I can follow you wherever you go (as long as you're not hucking off 30 ft cliffs or anything) but I may not be able to keep up with you. I've done a lot of pretty technical stuff, but I'm still trying to master it. I have good days and not so good days.

Me to I love Mt. Snow, northface is better then any other resorts in my opinion in South VT. :)

Cheese

Heading to Mt. Snow for first time with my son, age 12. We're beginner/intermediate skiiers. Anyone ave comments, tips on making it a great trip?
thanks in advance.

I think it should be obvious from what others have said that you can safely explore the entire resort without getting in over your head. Even Ripcord has a bail out so you can escape unharmed. It might be a great place to let your son lead for a change. Give him the map and tell him you'd like to ski all day without repeating any runs. Have a GREAT time!

ScottySkis

Many thanks for the 20/20. A couple more questions:

MOOver isnt an option, so have to park. If I get there early (9) is there any problem parking close to Base?

What time do the crowds show on Sundays?:snow:

By 9 on weekend, they have several parking lots with shuttle buses. If you get their at 8 parking should be close to chair. You can and get to their lodges pretty easily. If you want some great non lodge food, eat under their fancy hotel on the hill in the deli, great sandwiches, never busy like the lodge. Place is for everyone but mainly people in hotel use it gmGrand Resort hotel I believe. Crowds like 930am be on the lift early and see what peak you like stay left peak I think good you and your son.

fluid164

Awesome tips everyone... love this board and the people on it! Shoud be a great trip.

gmcunni

I like far right side of mountain (canyon express??) for fun easy cruising. Several trails off a lift that doesn't seem to get too busy (at least when I've been there). Easy access to waffle hut too!!

The Sneak

When I was a beginner/low intermediate I went to Mt Snow a ton. This was in the early-mid 90s but it hasn't changed *that* much. The Canyon chair services some fantastic blues. Get there early, ride the bluebird and take long john/deer run down. You will love it.

Glenn

Ride the 'Bird once...just to say you did. It's a cool experience. Canyon will have shorter lines and give you access to Snowdance which is a nice cruiser. Rollercoaster under Canyone is nice too. The Grand Summit usually has shorter lines then the Bluebird on the weekends. Long John is a nice long run...but can get a busy. Head over to the terrain park just to see what it's like. You can ski around the features.

After 9 it may be tough to find a close spot. Things usually wind down after President's Day, but with a foot of snow, it'll probably bring people up. I just took a look at the web cams and it's fairly busy up there now for a Friday. For $15 you can have preferred parking which is righ near the base lodge.

Have fun! And let us know how the trip goes.

mlctvt

If you want some great non lodge food, eat under their fancy hotel on the hill in the deli, great sandwiches, never busy like the lodge. Place is for everyone but mainly people in hotel use it gmGrand Resort hotel I believe.

+1, I'm a Mount Snow regular, Scotty is 100% correct . The Deli is seldom crowded and it has great hot selections too! This is where many Mount Snow employees , ski patrol and Ambasadors eat.

Euler

Avoid the two beginner trails, Long John and Deer Runfrom the summit like the plague. They are crowded, skiied off and icy. You will have to start down them to get off the summit but turn left onto Ridge for a great run that avoids the lower portion of these two trails of doom. Also, look for Snowdance off of the Canyon Express lift for a sweet intermediate cruiser. I disagree with others who say there is nothing at Mt. Snow a beginner can't navigate. There are plenty of steeps and moguls that would make a beginner sad. Stick to the blues, though and you should be good to go.

fluid164

Well, it was a great trip. We stayed at the Wilmington Inn which was just delightful. The innkeepers, Jason and Alicia, were great and it seemed like a great value. They gave us a $10 coupon fir the 1846 Tavern which didnt disappoint. Great burger and better fish and chips and some music to boot.

We got to Snow early and scored killer parking that was as good as the $15 Preferred. After getting our lift tickets, we headed straight for Blue Bird... AWESOME! That early there was no wait and, as advertised, it was worth the trip. We did Big and Little John using the Summit Express which had zero wait. Because it was chilly, a bit of wind and flurries, the crowds were sticking ti the BBX. We stuck to Summit and Canyon lifts all day.

I thought there was some variation in the blues where some were definitely a little more challenging for me because of their narrowness, but nothing that probably didnt make me a better skier. My son never complained. We had our yummy waffle and had a great time. Thanks everyone for the advice...it really helped!

ScottySkis

Well, it was a great trip. We stayed at the Wilmington Inn which was just delightful. The innkeepers, Jason and Alicia, were great and it seemed like a great value. They gave us a $10 coupon fir the 1846 Tavern which didnt disappoint. Great burger and better fish and chips and some music to boot.

We got to Snow early and scored killer parking that was as good as the $15 Preferred. After getting our lift tickets, we headed straight for Blue Bird... AWESOME! That early there was no wait and, as advertised, it was worth the trip. We did Big and Little John using the Summit Express which had zero wait. Because it was chilly, a bit of wind and flurries, the crowds were sticking ti the BBX. We stuck to Summit and Canyon lifts all day.

I thought there was some variation in the blues where some were definitely a little more challenging for me because of their narrowness, but nothing that probably didnt make me a better skier. My son never complained. We had our yummy waffle and had a great time. Thanks everyone for the advice...it really helped!

Nice going the Burger joint their,I haven't yet but soon before my I stop eating them, 1600, glad you enjoy the hill to, it is a good one.:thumbup:

oakapple

Avoid the two beginner trails, Long John and Deer Runfrom the summit like the plague. They are crowded, skiied off and icy. You will have to start down them to get off the summit but turn left onto Ridge for a great run that avoids the lower portion of these two trails of doom. Also, look for Snowdance off of the Canyon Express lift for a sweet intermediate cruiser. I disagree with others who say there is nothing at Mt. Snow a beginner can't navigate. There are plenty of steeps and moguls that would make a beginner sad. Stick to the blues, though and you should be good to go.

I think Mount Snow is a poor beginner's mountain for those reasons: the two learner's areas are a long distance apart, and the two long green cruisers tend to be over-crowded and are quickly skied off. But once you're past the beginner's stage, there are dozens of ways down, many of which are off the beaten path and not particularly crowded.