• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Magic Mountain, VT: 02/28/2013

Bene288

Looks sick, Riv! Magic was in the back of my mind while I was at Gore today. Still a little regret for some reason.

How wet was the snow?

gladerider

looks awesome. haven't been there in a while. gotta go back soon.

wtcobb

Nice! Looks unbelievable. How was Green Line going down the steeps? Pretty barren in spots last weekend, but passable. Looks much better there!

bdfreetuna

I skied Magic yesterday as well. Started off nice powder everywhere... got pretty heavy and slow going througout the day.

Woods have plenty of coverage now as well as all the trails.

Plowing through the heavy snow wore me out faster than usual.. it was a sort of short day for me but I made the most of my runs taking aggressive lines on steep trails.

bheemsoth

NICE! I'm getting home from San Francisco tomorrow, and will be at Magic first tracks on Sunday.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Sorry for the picture dump without beta. Wanted to get pics up for Magic Stoke (I know it is appreciated on AZ!) but it was getting late and I didn't feel like writing everything up.

The snow was really good for first tracks. Very dense but also extremely surfy. Very nice. Insanely good base building snow. My first run down Goniff was my best run every on that trail and then I got Green Line untracked on run two, really sweet. Green Line was covered well enough, no issues.

Magician, not so much and I hit bottom a few times. Red Line and Black Magic were both roped for the Comp on Saturday and I respected the closure. Red Line looked sweet, but I can't imagine Black Magic is going to have enough snow to open. Looks like they are going to do the comp on it though, nice. All other trails... the snow essentially felt bottomless due to the density. Essentially, Magic now has a base and the next storm will make the place epic.

Snow started getting heavy around noontime and I left shortly thereafter as the tracked up snow felt more like a trip to the gym than a trip to the powder room.

I have no idea how the snow setup overnight. It was already getting wet and heavy (especially at lower elevation) by midday yesterday. It sure isn't going to be powder this weekend, for what it is worth.

Bene288

^ I was going to comment on the base building qualities of this storm. We could have used this in December and January.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I would like to know how Magic skied today. At Ragged it was way too crusty, lumpy, crunch and just plain weird today. Even racers were having trouble with it. I'll write my TR later tonight. So congrats Riv - you had a high, I had a low. Meh, that comes with outdoor activities. Not to worry, I'll get the next one ;)

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I would like to know how Magic skied today. At Ragged it was way too crusty, lumpy, crunch and just plain weird today. Even racers were having trouble with it. I'll write my TR later tonight. So congrats Riv - you had a high, I had a low. Meh, that comes with outdoor activities. Not to worry, I'll get the next one ;)
I suspect Magic was probably similar today. Not sure how the temp profiles compared, Magic has a bit higher elevation IIRC but not that much higher.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

Wildcat started out like that, but it didn't take long for people to break up the crust and it skied much better.

fahz

Got there about 10:30 today 3/1 some of that stuff set up today. My first run I headed over to Talisman I skied over the tracked up stuff but didn't really sink in kinda crusty a lot of work more life surfing. Vertigo much the same more hard work. Did Witch to the Goniff Glade felt as if it had been skied more so it was softer bumped up first time I had ever been down it. Last year was the first time I had been to Magic, much better this time. No pictures sorry just what I remember. Trick skied better had been beaten down was softer. They were grooming some of the mountain while I was skiing those trails ended up nice and soft after. Didn't venture into anything other than the Enchanted Forest Glade. I am not familiar enough to go diving in alone especially after the workout I was getting on the trails. I would expect it to remain challenging.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah but devils advocate it does set us up for a very nice spring

@ Ragged It felt like spring skiing today - crunchy in the morning, softer in the afternoon. However with overcast, it didn't soften too much. About 1/8" of crusty ice with about 10" of pow below it. Wish it had been warmer. Sux.