• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some photos from Lech/Zurs Austria - Feb 15-24

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
I asked for advice planning a European ski vacation and we just got back. It was a great trip, conditions were amazing and we had an excellent time. Thanks for the advice; here's a few shots from the trip:

IMG_5395.JPG

IMG_5410.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5515.JPG

IMG_5531.JPG

IMG_5556.JPG

IMG_5570.JPG

IMG_6118.JPG

IMG_6196.JPG

IMG_6274.JPG

IMG_6276.JPG

IMG_5600.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_5671.JPG

IMG_5744.JPG

IMG_5793.JPG

IMG_5873.JPG

IMG_5894.JPG

Cheese

Beautiful shots! I'm headed there next February so if you've got some favorite stashes I'm all ears. Congrats on the blue bird powder day(s) too!

David Metsky

Website
www.hikethewhites.com
Are you staying in Lech, Zurs, or somewhere else? There is off piste ski routes that you can do without too much effort, but lots of other terrain is only accessible with full avy gear and a certified guide. If you want to do the latter start getting your guides lined up months early because February is busy. It's expensive (everything over there is expensive) but worth it.

We generally carried some snacks with us and skied until 1:30/2:00, stopped for a relatively light lunch, and took 1 or 2 more runs then called it a day. If you're there for a full week don't try to get it all in on the first few days. The bus system allows you to get to several other towns to start your day or get back at the end.

JimG.

Staff member
David, as usual you are killing me with your wonderful photos. Kudos to you!

Cheese

Are you staying in Lech, Zurs, or somewhere else? There is off piste ski routes that you can do without too much effort, but lots of other terrain is only accessible with full avy gear and a certified guide. If you want to do the latter start getting your guides lined up months early because February is busy. It's expensive (everything over there is expensive) but worth it.

We generally carried some snacks with us and skied until 1:30/2:00, stopped for a relatively light lunch, and took 1 or 2 more runs then called it a day. If you're there for a full week don't try to get it all in on the first few days. The bus system allows you to get to several other towns to start your day or get back at the end.

Staying in Lech, full week, guided and full avy gear excluding ABS. I'll get with you offline so not to pollute your thread.

emmaurice2

Amazing pictures. There is a thread on AZ about ski dreams...well these pictures are pretty much how my ski dreams look.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Very few people tele in the major resorts of Europe. Everyone in the backcountry is on AT.

Interesting, I kind of figured that.

Snowboarding never really got a big hold in europe either, did it? It seems most of the "alternative" types of downhill snow transportation are pretty muted in Europe.

Angus

good article in wsj a couple of days ago about popularity of randonee (AT) in europe and growth in NoAmerica.

just looks awesome.

how did you plan/book trip?