• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

3/6-3/7 storm?

BenedictGomez

like how buried?

It's stupid. No way this happens.

52527852226307781728333.jpg

BenedictGomez

18z GFS just released, and it comes north AGAIN.

NOW some of ski country gets whacked, specifically the Catskills and Poconos.

Given the Poconos never gets snow, that's enough for me to scientifically conclude this model run is BS.

northagain.png

gmcunni

CT forecasts:
Model overview...(keep in mind snowfall totals are MODEL guidance)
18z GFS: Snowfall totals generally 10-20". Very heavy, wet snow across the entire state. Areas near the coast could mix with rain for a while, with amounts on the low end of that range. The 12z GFS was on the order of about 6-12".

18z NAM: Snowfall totals generally 8-16". Very heavy, wet snow that could mix with rain for a time across southern and southeastern sections. Snowfall amounts are higher across northeastern CT and slightly lower across coastal New London County.
15z SREF: Snowfall totals generally 8-14". Also shows heavy, wet snow, but is colder than the NAM. The shoreline totals might be slightly lower.
12z Euro: Snowfall totals of about 2-4". Periods of light snow, with borderline temperatures. The model has taken a significant shift to the northwest. If the trend were to continue for the next run, amounts would be much higher than advertised here.
12z Canadian: Snowfall totals generally 5-10". A wintry mix ends as snow across the entire state. Snowfall amounts would be somewhat lower near the coast.
12z GFS and 12z GFS ensembles: Snowfall totals generally 6-12". Similar with heavy, wet snow across the state.
09z SREF: Snowfall totals generally 6-12".

ScottySkis

When I was leaving my job, local weather stations in NYC were already talking about this storm being snow event in the city.

Euler

Any ideas on timing of this..., if SoVT were to wind up getting some snow would it be late Weds into Thurs?

drjeff

Any ideas on timing of this..., if SoVT were to wind up getting some snow would it be late Weds into Thurs?

That's the likely timeframe right now- the question then becomes can the precip get that far North in signficant amounts and how much of a factor will the winds be! Regardless of whether or not the precip makes it to SoVt, it looks like the vast majority of New England will be in for some strong winds as the storm transitions up from the mid-atlantic on over the the Canadian Maritimes area

BenedictGomez

00z GFS out, and it now has substantial snow for Vermont and New Hampshire, but I have a tough time believing this.

67080522385571138367868.jpg

BenedictGomez

The Euro continues to be the most conservative with the snow totals. Below is 00z from last night. The big difference is it puts a 2nd "Jackpot zone" in eastern MA/RI.

55984752289030108789410.png

The NAM continues to be the most "snow-happy" with the totals. Below is 12z just out less than 10 minutes ago.

ssssssssssssssssssssssn.png

BenedictGomez

12z GFS just took a BIG jog east, which is really bad for pretty much everyone.

Hopefully it's an outlier run and most of the ensemble members are still over some ski country.

BenedictGomez

Because we can NEVER have too many maps or predictions.........

DT at Wxrisk is thinking this "left-hooks" back into northern New England more than anyone I've seen, as such, here is his map. It would be fantastic if true. He's been dead wrong on this storm so far though.

there is a possible surprise for Eastern New England which I am aware of and it could end up busting in my face again .

LAST NIGHT Europeans and GFS models showed a new solution to this system which would actually occur more towards the end of the week. This image of last night's European model shows a strong piece of energy over western Manitoba diving south eastward through the Great Lakes towards Pennsylvania. The impact of the system on the coastal storm just as it is pulling away ... woukld be cause the Big coastal Low to shift closer to Cape Cod and cause additional heavy snow to fall over East New England. By this time temperatures will turn some of colder and most the precipitation in this scenario would fall as snow

ffffffffffffffffffffyu.jpg