• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - Inbound Glade Tour 3/2/13

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Date(s) Skied: March 2, 2013

Resort or Ski Area: Jay Peak

Conditions: Packed Powder

Trip Report: Trying to ski all the glades at Jay is a little like trying to see everything at The Smithsonian in one day. It's not possible but I tried none the less. I'm not sure what we did first except that we started by riding the Flyer into the Jay Soup Cloud. It was snowing but only very lightly and the cloud never lifted from top. Really couldn't see where were going from there and not being very familiar it made navigation difficult. We started by trying to warm up on a groomer but wanting to avoid the run-out of Ullr's Dream we attempted to take a more direct route down - maybe JFK (?) and ended up in the wood's lower down possibly a side entrance to Everglade or even lower down like North Glade but since I don't remember going by the entrances to Evergreen or Staircase I'm not sure.

From there, to avoid a massive line on the Flyer that had built up due to some malfunction, we rode the Metro and cut over to the Bonaventure and skied Canyonland. After that we took the Jet up and tried Kitzwoods and then the wrong side of Stateside Glade - the drainage side. While in there I spied a patch of fresh powder and dove in it only to be faced with a 10 ft hole in the snow with water at the bottom and a very narrow space between it and a very large birch. My left ski clipped the birch as I tried to skirt the hole,it popped off, spun me around and I landed on my back. I was very comfortable there for a bit - catching my breath, staring into the crystalline branches above. It was all was very peaceful and my friends were very entertained. The snow was so deep and soft I didn't even realize I was laying on top of my pole. After that little adventure we rode the Bonaventure and tried for Canyonland again but ended up on Power Line instead and tried to cut through the woods to Canyonland. That didn't work as there is no traverse to the right and all you really end up doing is shuffling around from one little chute to the next. I ended upside down at one point on my back with my skis tangled in tree branches above me. There's those lovely branches again. Finally made it to Canyonland but near to where it intersects with Taxi at the bottom. After that lunch at the Stateside lodge one last time. From there we made our way back to the Flyer to ski Beaver Pond. There were so many options in there we skied it three times despite the long run out. I missed last chair by moments but it didn't matter - I was fried. My only regret for the day was not trying Staircase or Everglade from the top. I think I was a little intimidated by the way the entrances looked from the chair but in retrospect I doubt it was any more difficult than what I had done all day.

To sum up it was a fun day. Never made it over to Timbuktu and never even considered the Dip. My friends and I agreed that we've never had a bad day at Jay and this past Saturday was no exception.

Photos in next post.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Trying to ski all the glades at Jay is a little like trying to see everything at The Smithsonian in one day.

That might be the best description of Jay's glades I've heard yet.

ended up in the wood's lower down possibly a side entrance to Everglade or even lower down like North Glade but since I don't remember going by the entrances to Evergreen or Staircase I'm not sure.

It was probably Everglade. This is a great way in, just pass where everyone else enters and pick a spot. The entraces will likely look difficult, but it's a great way to find fresh snow as that keeps the hoards away.

Never made it over to Timbuktu and never even considered the Dip.

Another great tree run. Next time try Alice's Table for lunch if you dont mind burning 35 or 40 minutes of the day, the food is great.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
If your friend wants a buffalo burger stop the car and let him out!

Another great tree run. Next time try Alice's Table for lunch if you dont mind burning 35 or 40 minutes of the day, the food is great.

Alice's might have been a good choice for the end of the day. On our way back I stopped at the Country Store in Troy and suggested grinders for the ride home. My friend says, "I want real food - like a buffalo burger!" :dontknow: I don't know of any places near Jay like that so I say, "There were some restaurants in Lyndonville". He says, "No! Not those dinky places! I'll bet there's something in St Johnsbury". I should have gotten out of the car right there and gotten a grinder, an ice tea and a bag of Humpy Dumpy's. But no. I went along with it. I am such an idiot.:dunce:

We first drove through Newport hoping to see something along the way. No. Then we made our way down snow covered I-91 to St Johns. My friend found a place on his Android but when we got there it was closed. "You know what?" He says now, "I go to a chiropractor in Littleton. I KNOW there's restaurants there." Now as we're approaching Littleton he says, "We're practically in Lincoln. Lets just go to the Woodstock Station." :blink: "No way" I tell him, "That place will be mobbed. We won't even be able to get a parking space!" "No!" he says, "It'll be past peak." I should have known better at this point but ... A minor miracle occurs and we get a parking space right behind Woodstock Station. There's no line outside the door and for a moment I thought this might work. Then the reality ... "Its an hour and a half wait. What'ya think?" I lost it right there in the crowded restaurant. I shouted "I COULD BE HOME IN AN HOUR AND A HALF!" (more like 40 minutes) We finally found a place to eat - can't even remember the name. I didn't get home until 10:30. If I had just gotten my grinder and chips I could've been home at 7:30.

Yeah Alice's would have been nice.

Cheese

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!

My friends and I agreed that we've never had a bad day at Jay and this past Saturday was no exception..

I wish this was the case for me but I've been there the day after the Jay Cloud dropped immature snow and also had two days lost due to wind hold. Glad your luck has been far better!

BenedictGomez

ScottySkis

That's a pretty horrible story, but yeah, Alice's is nice. I've eaten there 5 or 6 times the last few years, and the food is excellent.

Though, I'm noticing now after posting their menu that Jay raised the prices this year. Some substantially. If they raise it any higher than that I'd out. That's as or more expensive than Manhattan!

http://www.jaypeakresort.com/attachments/entries/AlicesTable_Lunch_01_21_13.pdf

$13 for great Burger, fries and soda seems to be average price in NYC, I know of some cheap delis in the city that make burger and fries for $5.75( was $5.16 for 6 years, I made a comment to my coworker about how that price never changed in all the years I been going their last week, so I can totally be happy with the 5.75 prices now.)

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Nice pics Abubob........
Thanks.

Great report and pics, thanks for sharing!

I wish this was the case for me but I've been there the day after the Jay Cloud dropped immature snow and also had two days lost due to wind hold. Glad your luck has been far better!
We did hit it pretty good even though there was little fresh snow. I'm considering a full AT set up to take advantage of wind holds even though I don't get up to Jay very often.

$13 for great Burger, fries and soda seems to be average price in NYC, I know of some cheap delis in the city that make burger and fries for $5.75( was $5.16 for 6 years, I made a comment to my coworker about how that price never changed in all the years I been going their last week, so I can totally be happy with the 5.75 prices now.)
:eek: Okay then - stickin with grinders from the Country Store!

snowmonster

Re: Tree that survived Lem's head

I know exactly where this is. I passed it last Saturday and also narrowly missed that hole you were trying to avoid. That would have been a very nasty fall.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub