• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday Gore MArch 2 maybe snow

ScottySkis

Get their a few days from 12 inch snow storm. Snow last night and all day today. I love their on the map gladed stuff and especially Dark Side of the Moon. Got to do all the classic s like Lies( no lie it was cruised. Wow sick steep trails snow all day, lots of people said best conditions of the day. I agree. Go so good. Sorry Cornbread lol for keeping your lighter all day. Dropped small yellow lighter of mine in the snow. Lots and lots of soft packed powder everywhere. Amazing got to love it now hopefully we get more snow so everyone can get out. Hey Hippiechick get to the slopes already.:thumbup::):):):):cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:;):)

Last edited:

Cornhead

This is how F'd up New York State is, I hold a rain check for Whiteface from last season, the rain check is good through this season, I assumed that Gore would honor the rain check since Gore/Whiteface lift tickets are interchangeable, nope. So if I took my rain check to WF, got a WF lift ticket, brought it to Gore, they'd let me ride the lifts at Gore.:angry: On to plan B, I brought my Warren Miller voucher with me, it's a BOGO mid season. I left my wallet in the car, so I didn't have my ID with me. I was shocked they didn't ask for it, and processed the BOGO. I would have went off if I had to go back to my car to cash in the BOGO. I sold the extra ticket for $40, I probably could have got more, but I was happy with that.

Gore skied great yesterday, the foot they got earlier in the week has held up nicely. There was plenty of snow in the woods, and the groomers were rockin. I skied some places at Gore that I'd never skied before. Both glades in the Burnt Ridge area were great, Tahawus, and Bark Eater. Got into the Darkside glades for the first time, again awesome. Does anyone have one of those leashes that parents tether themselves to their kids with that they no longer need? I could use one to keep track of Scotty, every time I turned around, he was gone. We became separated 3 times throughout the day. The fact Verizon's coverage is spotty on the hill didn't help matters. None of this would have mattered much but for one issue. Scotty was skiing with his friend Mary Jane, I was with her twin sister Mary Jill, I felt like sneaking into the woods for a quickie with Mary Jill, but Scotty had the condoms!

IMG_20130303_122954.jpg
The Darkside

IMG_20130303_145526.jpg
Bark Eater, I think.

IMG_20130303_152409.jpg

IMG_20130303_152447.jpg
Scotty in Tahawus

Cornhead

Those pics are great. I've got a Gore voucher from the giveaway. We should plan to meet up sometime.
That'd be cool, we're thinking of hitting Whiteface before the season is over, I still have my rain check, and I can ski it anytime but holidays for $35. I think Scotty's PriceChopper book may include WF also. If WF has enough snow in the Spring, it must be an awesome Spring skiing hill, lots of sustained vert. I think they may drop the avy gear requirement to ski the Slides, if you're lucky enough for them to be open. Hey, if you want to use your Gore voucher at WF, stop at Gore and cash it in on the way, your Gore lift ticket will be honored at WF...I think.

Rambo

That's insane that the Whiteface, raincheck was no good at Gore. Looks like ORDA's top priority is to get people to spend the night/extra money up in Placid/Wilmington area.
Wow-Steep!
scotty2a.jpg

Bene288

Did you take the marked entrance into the Tahawus trees? Quite the traverse in fresh snow.

ScottySkis

That'd be cool, we're thinking of hitting Whiteface before the season is over, I still have my rain check, and I can ski it anytime but holidays for $35. I think Scotty's PriceChopper book may include WF also. If WF has enough snow in the Spring, it must be an awesome Spring skiing hill, lots of sustained vert. I think they may drop the avy gear requirement to ski the Slides, if you're lucky enough for them to be open. Hey, if you want to use your Gore voucher at WF, stop at Gore and cash it in on the way, your Gore lift ticket will be honored at WF...I think.

Whiteface, MT snow, Gore, Sunappe, Bromley, and Smuggs my one price chopper is good at on Sundays, and Mon- Friday.

Cornhead

Did you take the marked entrance into the Tahawus trees? Quite the traverse in fresh snow.

I guess not, we dropped in before having to go uphill much on the entrance trail. I was curious what was further down/up that trail. It was groomed, IIRC. Does it go all the way to the Tahawus trail? I made it over to the Ski Bowl for the first time. I didn't ski anything over there because the lift was so slow, I wanted to get back and ski more at Burnt Ridge. 46er was closed, but looks like a legit steep trail over there. Sure is a slog from the base of the North quad on Pipeline. I love the expansion at Gore, but it is a bit of a chore to get to it. Burnt Ridge almost completely slipped my mind last time I skied Gore. If I hadn't skied Twister Glade and popped out on Echo, I'd have probably gotten home and thought, " Damn, I forgot to ski Burnt Ridge."

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I can't believe how food the gldes look at Gore. I never would have guessed. I've never skied Gore or Whiteface. As a lifetime NY'er I'm well over due.

Corn, are we going to see you again this year for the Bumpin' Blockbuster on St. Platty's day weekend again, Corn?

Bene288

Tahawus glades are fun. A good run to get a consistent line as its not the steepest, and definitely the easiest way to Burnt Ridge. Did you guys ski the mineshaft glades by any chance? I could ask questions all day.. We should all meet up for a mini NY summit. I go to Gore all of the time, usually by myself!

ScottySkis

I can't believe how food the gldes look at Gore. I never would have guessed. I've never skied Gore or Whiteface. As a lifetime NY'er I'm well over due.

Corn, are we going to see you again this year for the Bumpin' Blockbuster on St. Platty's day weekend again, Corn?

Gore is great stuff, as good as any North Vermont hill terrain wise, just not the natural snow fall that N Vermont gets.

Cornhead

marcski;765734r said:

Yes, I hope to be at Platty on St. Patrick's Day, last year was awesome. How'd the patroler's bbq go on Saturday? I was tempted to stop at Brook's on my way home from Gore.

You owe it to yourself to check out both Whiteface and Gore, they're both awesome mountains. I have a feeling a lot of people don't even know of Gore. Whiteface, would probably be the same if not for its Olympic history. Both have made significant additions recently that have improved both.

Oops, I get you and markc confused, he's the patroler at Platty, right?

Tahawus glades are fun. A good run to get a consistent line as its not the steepest, and definitely the easiest way to Burnt Ridge. Did you guys ski the mineshaft glades by any chance? I could ask questions all day.. We should all meet up for a mini NY summit. I go to Gore all of the time, usually by myself!
I didn't ski Mineshaft, Scotty? He may have, we skied a lot separately yesterday. You must have had a great day right after the snow, your pictures looked amazing.

That sounds like a great idea, I'd like to meet and ski with some fellow AZer's, all I've met so far have all been great...except for Scotty.:wink:

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Yes, I hope to be at Platty on St. Patrick's Day, last year was awesome. How'd the patroler's bbq go on Saturday? I was tempted to stop at Brook's on my way home from Gore.

You owe it to yourself to check out both Whiteface and Gore, they're both awesome mountains. I have a feeling a lot of people don't even know of Gore. Whiteface, would probably be the same if not for its Olympic history. Both have made significant additions recently that have improved both.

Oops, I get you and markc confused, he's the patroler at Platty, right?

I didn't ski Mineshaft, Scotty? He may have, we skied a lot separately yesterday. You must have had a great day right after the snow, your pictures looked amazing.

That sounds like a great idea, I'd like to meet and ski with some fellow AZer's, all I've met so far have all been great...except for Scotty.:wink:
That is what I get for having my girl Mary J with me at Hire when I wondered off sorry about that Corn. I don't know everything that I skiied but it was all lots of great trees, and trails.:)

Bene288

I hate to brag, but last Thursday was some of the if the not the best skiing of my life. Glad it was later in the season, if it were the beginning my expectations would have been ruined. Send me a PM if you go up there.

Cornhead

No problem Scotty, you're great too, you're the greatest, just busting your balls. On the bright side, I've got more Mary Jill left, next time we ski, I wont leave my condoms in the car! That didn't sound right, but you know what I mean. Now there's a job for Survivor Man...stranded in the wilds of NY, full bag, no untensils, no spark, noooooooo!

ScottySkis

No problem Scotty, you're great too, you're the greatest, just busting your balls. On the bright side, I've got more Mary Jill left, next time we ski, I wont leave my condoms in the car! That didn't sound right, but you know what I mean. Now there's a job for Survivor Man...stranded in the wilds of NY, full bag, no untensils, no spark, noooooooo!

Call me the keeper of the lighters, lol.