• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

KustyTheKlown

i do day trips to magic and killington from brooklyn. suck it up. when the snow is right plattekill is always worth the extra 30 min of driving on each end.

abc

I just wish Platty was closer...It's about 30 minutes further than Windham and 40 minutes further than Hunter.
But, but, but... You'll get those minutes back by not having to stand in the lift line!

But I hear what you're saying. I'm "only" 2 1/2 hr from Plattekill. So it's "reachable" for me. 3 hr is just about borderline "painful" drive.

x10003q

I just wish Platty was closer...It's about 30 minutes further than Windham and 40 minutes further than Hunter. So I'm looking at almost three hours each direction. I do Hunter and Windham day trips and while it's fun, it's a haul so adding another hour+ round trip isn't something I'm looking forward to.

Drive faster. ;-)

mikec142

i do day trips to magic and killington from brooklyn. suck it up. when the snow is right plattekill is always worth the extra 30 min of driving on each end.

Yeah...I don't know how you do that. I'm pretty happy to drive, but a day trip to Killington would be over the top. I've often skied Sugarbush on a Sunday, left the mountain at 3pm and driven the 5.5 hours home, but it's not ideal and it's always a factor of being up there for the weekend.

mikec142

But, but, but... You'll get those minutes back by not having to stand in the lift line!

But I hear what you're saying. I'm "only" 2 1/2 hr from Plattekill. So it's "reachable" for me. 3 hr is just about borderline "painful" drive.

I hear ya! Every year, I get less and less satisfied with the skiing that is available for a day trip. When the kids were little, we did Shawnee, then graduated to Blue and Camelback, now the catskills. I've thought about day tripping to Gore or Mount Snow, but it just seems like too much.

KustyTheKlown

get out of work on a friday afternoon, go home and immediately consume pharmaceuticals cannabis and a slight amount of alcohol, fall asleep by 9 PM, wake up at 3 (if killington) or 4 (if magic) with 6-7 hours of sleep under my belt, drive, ski, eat, drive, home between 7 and 9 PM. it's intense but generally worth it.

mikec142

get out of work on a friday afternoon, go home and immediately consume pharmaceuticals cannabis and a slight amount of alcohol, fall asleep by 9 PM, wake up at 3 (if killington) or 4 (if magic) with 6-7 hours of sleep under my belt, drive, ski, eat, drive, home between 7 and 9 PM. it's intense but generally worth it.

I can see the value, believe me. I forget if you're married/kids, etc. For me, married with two teenagers, I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that my crew wouldn't do this. While they all really like to ski, they think I'm nuts as it is. If I were to do it on my own, I'm forgoing Friday night cuz I'm in bed by 9pm and Saturday night, cuz I'm beyond exhausted. Wife would get tired of that quickly. Maybe 1-2x season.

KustyTheKlown

34, domestically partnered (girlfriend doesnt feel like the right word since we live together and are married in all but paper), no kids, never having any. she thinks im nuts but sometimes will hop in at 3 AM and put her seat back and sleep. usually if she comes we leave after work on friday. i detest it. sitting in hours and hours of traffic just to clear nyc metro.

this is like 3rd date material, admitting the addiction and being very clear that she needs to either be down to come with at crazy hours, or be content enough with me doing it every weekend for 5 months of the year. there's certainly been a few domestic quarrels where she raises the skiing as a thing that pisses her off, but it very much comes with the territory and she knew what she was getting into with me. she also used to be an avid surfer before a hip injury derailed it, so she 'gets it' from a philosophical perspective.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I can see the value, believe me. I forget if you're married/kids, etc. For me, married with two teenagers, I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that my crew wouldn't do this. While they all really like to ski, they think I'm nuts as it is. If I were to do it on my own, I'm forgoing Friday night cuz I'm in bed by 9pm and Saturday night, cuz I'm beyond exhausted. Wife would get tired of that quickly. Maybe 1-2x season.

Facepalm.....There are no friends ....and family...... on a powder day.

abc

Facepalm.....There are no friends ....and family...... on a powder day.
Powder day is not the problem. It happens rarely enough.

When it does happen, on a weekend, I drop everything and hit the road.

Its non-powder day that I’m un-motivated to drive long hour at ungodly part of the day to get to a mountain.

Im spoiled. I get 4-5 weeks out west these days (past few years). The rest of the winter, when I’m at “home”, I either chase powder up north, or sleep in and do a half day (or 2) nearby. As such, Platterkill is ideal. Though the drive is long, I get to ski practically non-stop for 4 hours (give or take). Then a drink at the bar before heading home...

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Powder day is not the problem. It happens rarely enough.

When it does happen, on a weekend, I drop everything and hit the road.

Its non-powder day that I’m un-motivated to drive long hour at ungodly part of the day to get to a mountain.

Im spoiled. I get 4-5 weeks out west these days (past few years). The rest of the winter, when I’m at “home”, I either chase powder up north, or sleep in and do a half day (or 2) nearby. As such, Platterkill is ideal. Though the drive is long, I get to ski practically non-stop for 4 hours (give or take). Then a drink at the bar before heading home...

I would not make the 3hr drive for Plattekill without the possibility of skiing the woods. I can find those types of conditions closer to home . But even if you're days after a powder day you can still find stashes there .

I'm a newb to Plattekill ,I've only been there 3 times but my timing was great . 1st time storm Riley 3' and last year 2-2' snowfalls . The last time I was 3rd chair and had a blank canvas .

I love the vibe ,lodge ,view and the people are not douches . Makes me smile just thinking about the place .

raisingarizona

My memories of Plattekill are from the winters of 92/93 and 93/94. There was so much snow those years. I remember 6 foot tall snowbanks on the road up to the mountain and at least 5 feet of natural snow in the trees! I loved the old t-bar and skiing laps on the wall to wall bumps on blockbuster. Maybe my memories have been sweetened with time but it was pretty darn awesome!

JimG.

Staff member
My memories of Plattekill are from the winters of 92/93 and 93/94. There was so much snow those years. I remember 6 foot tall snowbanks on the road up to the mountain and at least 5 feet of natural snow in the trees! I loved the old t-bar and skiing laps on the wall to wall bumps on blockbuster. Maybe my memories have been sweetened with time but it was pretty darn awesome!

I miss that t-bar. Your memories are accurate.

Cornhead

Never rode Platty's T-bar, but I was lucky to hit Hickory it's last year of operations. The only time I almost fell asleep driving home from a ski trip, I was spent.
I miss that t-bar for about 5 seconds when I get to Platty and then I happily get on the double.:wink:

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

the worst t-bar is at lake louise. its how you get to the very awesome backside, but its long, and steep, and it hurts your butt and balls and quads real bad.