• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

ScottySkis

Looks pretty deep from what I saw . I guess it would have to be lined with EDM or some other membrane. It’s to vertical for clay .

It's huge Mars crater
Not that big but really huge
I walked through it once in spring time
Probably fill up equal to Hunter BellFlat and windham 3 snowing making ponds be Scotty guess

ScottySkis

A busy weekend on the mountain installing all new communication wire on the triple chair. At least the sun was shining and the temps were just right! #neverstopimproving #keepingitreal #myplatty #catskills @ Plattekill Mountain

Cobbold

Scottyskis,

Do you think plattekill will join the Indy pass this year

ScottySkis

Scottyskis,

Do you think plattekill will join the Indy pass this year

We havent made a decision on discounting our tickets that much by participating in the program. We are a small business that just cant afford to lose income.
From people who knows everything happens at Platty

Cobbold

We havent made a decision on discounting our tickets that much by participating in the program. We are a small business that just cant afford to lose income.
From people who knows everything happens at Platty

It’s funny magic Mtn promotes the Indy pass left and right and plattekill is noncommittal on it, oh well, their loss I guess.

BenedictGomez

It’s funny magic Mtn promotes the Indy pass left and right and plattekill is noncommittal on it, oh well, their loss I guess.

Not to mention Magic's tix are more expensive than Platty's to begin with.

My guess is Platty will join. While I think the place is generally well-run operationally, unused & chronically wasted capacity I would cite as their biggest business foible. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but hey, it's awesome for people who ski there. LOL

Cobbold

Not to mention Magic's tix are more expensive than Platty's to begin with.

My guess is Platty will join. While I think the place is generally well-run operationally, unused & chronically wasted capacity I would cite as their biggest business foible. Makes absolutely no sense to me, but hey, it's awesome for people who ski there. LOL

In the storm skier podcast, plattekill raves about the freedom pass. And Doug fish from the Indy pass talks how passes of that kind are a bad deal and goes to talk about epic and ikon passes and how they always get something from a skier visit, plattekill is yapping about a discounted ticket but on the freedom pass they get zero, interesting their thought process.

JimG.

Staff member
I think it's more than just the decision on whether or not to join a pass program.

Will Platty realistically get more capacity by maintaining their current open Fri-Sat-Sun business model? It will certainly get more crowded. Will that increase in capacity make it more profitable to stay open the whole week considering the increase in costs that 7 day a week operation will entail? Probably most importantly, how many of their current customer base will be turned off by any changes other than making it cheaper to ski there? How would Platty benefit from that?

Sounds like the Platty is taking the conservative treading water approach.

JimG.

Staff member
Platty doesn't have to do anything.

My point was that joining a pass deal would increase crowd sizes. Opening more days is just a possible way to counteract that and offer more skiing opportunities.

I don't think Platty is looking to increase crowd sizes so why would they join a pass?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
When second guessing Plattekill's business decisions consider the Big 3 and Little 9.

Of the Little 9, only Plattekill remains.

They are doing something right. Something that the "push more volume by discounting tickets" crowd doesn't understand.