• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

ScottySkis

Past two seasons at hunter have been freeze thaw weekly, not so conducive to bumps. Hell I haven’t seen much of hunter west open past two seasons besides way out and Claire’s last week for a hot second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should go into a BellFlat and Hunter thread

cdskier

Most of the people posting here like bumps and ungroomed terrain but we unfortunately dont represent the majority of skiers. The masses that are paying the bills would rather boring flat groomers so we lose out.

I don't know if I agree with this. Even if Belleayre let all the trails that used to be mogul runs bump up, that still only represents a rather small percentage of their overall terrain. So there's still plenty of groomed runs for everyone. Belleayre would honestly be quite boring and not worth it with 90-95% of the mountain groomed. Let's say you lose even 5% of your skiers if you eliminate bumps...are you going to suddenly attract a "new" 5% from somewhere else to make up for that? The "masses" that don't like bumps were already there anyway skiing Deer Run, Dot Nebel, Alqonquin, Peekamoose, Roaring Brook, etc. So what's the advantage to giving them more of the same groomed terrain to ski and alienating the people that liked a few bump runs? Are you going to convert Hunter or Windham skiers to Belleayre skiers because there are suddenly less bumps? Were there people sitting home not skiing at all because of a handful of bumped up runs at Belleayre? Are the existing "masses" that were already there anyway going to suddenly somehow generate more revenue for the mountain?

Also, while people that like bumps may not be the majority, I think nowadays they are not exactly a small percentage either.

skiur

Correct thread have been started

Please stop bullshit go fucken skiing

You need to relax dude, this is the internet, things are going to go in different directions and there is nothing you can do about it. At least it is still skiing related and hasn't morphed into politics like some other threads have.

ScottySkis

You need to relax dude, this is the internet, things are going to go in different directions and there is nothing you can do about it. At least it is still skiing related and hasn't morphed into politics like some other threads have.

No it fucken annoying when people bullshit here keep many others from joining

If I wanted to search thread about plattekill I get very angry At search multiple page of shitload of non related stuff

skiur

No it fucken annoying when people bullshit here keep many others from joining

If I wanted to search thread about plattekill I get very angry At search multiple page of shitload of non related stuff

I dont know what to tell you then, life is short, getting very angry at an internet message forum does not seem very healthy.

Bandit2941

I don't know if I agree with this. Even if Belleayre let all the trails that used to be mogul runs bump up, that still only represents a rather small percentage of their overall terrain. So there's still plenty of groomed runs for everyone. Belleayre would honestly be quite boring and not worth it with 90-95% of the mountain groomed. Let's say you lose even 5% of your skiers if you eliminate bumps...are you going to suddenly attract a "new" 5% from somewhere else to make up for that? The "masses" that don't like bumps were already there anyway skiing Deer Run, Dot Nebel, Alqonquin, Peekamoose, Roaring Brook, etc. So what's the advantage to giving them more of the same groomed terrain to ski and alienating the people that liked a few bump runs? Are you going to convert Hunter or Windham skiers to Belleayre skiers because there are suddenly less bumps? Were there people sitting home not skiing at all because of a handful of bumped up runs at Belleayre? Are the existing "masses" that were already there anyway going to suddenly somehow generate more revenue for the mountain?

Also, while people that like bumps may not be the majority, I think nowadays they are not exactly a small percentage either.

Well said, I completely agree. And I’d say that furthermore a lot of kids groups enjoy the bumps too - they’re not just for expert skiers.

I’m not sure if our petition will help but it now has 264 supporters and some good comments. Please sign if you haven’t yet: https://www.change.org/p/mike-pratt...versity-of-terrain-to-suit-all-ability-levels

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I signed. The bumps Belle worked to cultivate were awesome, and Plattekill doesn't often get enough traffic to bump up.

I agree that the general public may not want bumps, but even one trail would make an important minority happy.

I know this is the internet, but also agree with Scotty, this was my favorite AZ thread. I like Belle, but maybe start a thread for it.

JimG.

Staff member
Thank you for sharing this. We put this together along with a letter writing campaign to ORDA and the governor. Many longtime pass holders are not happy with the new GM (Bruce Transue) who came from Hunter. I don’t know what his big problem with bumps are but word on the street is he ruined Hunters bumps and so far I’d say it’s true.

I saw the result of the meeting with ORDA today since I signed the petition. There are bumps forming now. I think the idea to have volunteer cleanup and tree maintenance days is a great idea as well. Well done.

cdskier

I saw the result of the meeting with ORDA today since I signed the petition. There are bumps forming now. I think the idea to have volunteer cleanup and tree maintenance days is a great idea as well. Well done.

I saw that as well. Congrats! Hopefully that is a good sign that they are actually listening to their customers and will keep it up.

Bandit2941

Thanks guys! Agree, I hope this is a sign that they’re starting to listen to us.

We used to do a volunteer glade clearing each fall like Platty does but they stopped doing it 3 or 4 years ago and the glades show it. We cut Dreamcatcher with a group of about 12-15 volunteers and a mountain employee with a chain saw.

ScottySkis

Thanks guys! Agree, I hope this is a sign that they’re starting to listen to us.

We used to do a volunteer glade clearing each fall like Platty does but they stopped doing it 3 or 4 years ago and the glades show it. We cut Dreamcatcher with a group of about 12-15 volunteers and a mountain employee with a chain saw.

They still have volunteer every year for clearing trees with lunch and lift ticket for season
They definitely still have it