Platty. Info directions ..( end thread.hyjacking in Bell trip report - Page 38

AlpineZone

Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    I can see the value, believe me. I forget if you're married/kids, etc. For me, married with two teenagers, I'm not going too far out on a limb to say that my crew wouldn't do this. While they all really like to ski, they think I'm nuts as it is. If I were to do it on my own, I'm forgoing Friday night cuz I'm in bed by 9pm and Saturday night, cuz I'm beyond exhausted. Wife would get tired of that quickly. Maybe 1-2x season.

Facepalm.....There are no friends ....and family...... on a powder day.

Groundhog day lets go skiing !

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Facepalm.....There are no friends ....and family...... on a powder day.
    Powder day is not the problem. It happens rarely enough.

When it does happen, on a weekend, I drop everything and hit the road.

Its non-powder day that I’m un-motivated to drive long hour at ungodly part of the day to get to a mountain.

Im spoiled. I get 4-5 weeks out west these days (past few years). The rest of the winter, when I’m at “home”, I either chase powder up north, or sleep in and do a half day (or 2) nearby. As such, Platterkill is ideal. Though the drive is long, I get to ski practically non-stop for 4 hours (give or take). Then a drink at the bar before heading home...

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    Powder day is not the problem. It happens rarely enough.

When it does happen, on a weekend, I drop everything and hit the road.

Its non-powder day that Im un-motivated to drive long hour at ungodly part of the day to get to a mountain.

Im spoiled. I get 4-5 weeks out west these days (past few years). The rest of the winter, when Im at home, I either chase powder up north, or sleep in and do a half day (or 2) nearby. As such, Platterkill is ideal. Though the drive is long, I get to ski practically non-stop for 4 hours (give or take). Then a drink at the bar before heading home...
    I would not make the 3hr drive for Plattekill without the possibility of skiing the woods. I can find those types of conditions closer to home . But even if you're days after a powder day you can still find stashes there .

I'm a newb to Plattekill ,I've only been there 3 times but my timing was great . 1st time storm Riley 3' and last year 2-2' snowfalls . The last time I was 3rd chair and had a blank canvas .

I love the vibe ,lodge ,view and the people are not douches . Makes me smile just thinking about the place .

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    I love the vibe ,lodge ,view and the people are not douches . Makes me smile just thinking about the place .
    +1

https://www.plattekill.com/webcams/

A little snow this morning

My memories of Plattekill are from the winters of 92/93 and 93/94. There was so much snow those years. I remember 6 foot tall snowbanks on the road up to the mountain and at least 5 feet of natural snow in the trees! I loved the old t-bar and skiing laps on the wall to wall bumps on blockbuster. Maybe my memories have been sweetened with time but it was pretty darn awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    My memories of Plattekill are from the winters of 92/93 and 93/94. There was so much snow those years. I remember 6 foot tall snowbanks on the road up to the mountain and at least 5 feet of natural snow in the trees! I loved the old t-bar and skiing laps on the wall to wall bumps on blockbuster. Maybe my memories have been sweetened with time but it was pretty darn awesome!
    I miss that t-bar. Your memories are accurate.

If you hit Plattekill on a good day, it's everything that skiing should be.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    I miss that t-bar. Your memories are accurate.
    I miss that t-bar for about 5 seconds when I get to Platty and then I happily get on the double.

Never rode Platty's T-bar, but I was lucky to hit Hickory it's last year of operations. The only time I almost fell asleep driving home from a ski trip, I was spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by x10003q View Post
    I miss that t-bar for about 5 seconds when I get to Platty and then I happily get on the double.
    Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Thread Information