• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

JimG.

Staff member
Who would want to even chance driving to whiteface to maybe get a day pass? Useless policy that would only be brought up by a pass holder thinking they are way more important than they really are.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

We shall see. I know my opinions may not be important and certainly don't care what your opinion is. You don't own or run a ski area so why would I care what you think?

My guess is there is at least one smart ski area operator who thinks more of this idea than you do.

I would pay way more for a season pass (double what I pay for a full K season pass, $2000 per season) if there was a mountain that decided to cater to season passholders only. And I'll bet there are many skiers who would feel the same way.

Especially after what's coming this season.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
They would get their azzes handed to them financially if they did that. Not knowing anything about how well Platty is capitalized other than it's a tiny Mom & Pop, I dont even know if they could survive a season of that.
ORDA could survive that only because you & other New York State residents will pay (literally) for whatever financial mismanagement they incur.

No such thing as a free lunch. Yes, an area that wisely decided to cater to folks who think like me would have to charge a lot more for a season pass. As I said to Smelly, I'd be happy to pay $2000 or more for such a pass.

I don't think lowest common denominator cheapo for everything in my life. You're right that ORDA probably could not pull this off, but I'm sure there is a ski area out there looking to swim against the current and cater to people who care less about cost and more about access.

JimG.

Staff member
I'd pay for something like that too, but I think we'd be talking more like 5k not 2k.

Agreed. It would depend on the size and diversity of the terrain as well as location. And other infrastructure like lifts and snowmaking.

Assuming it was a decent mix of the above I would not blink at 3k but would swallow hard at 4K.

Back to Platty or we'll hear from Scotty.

cdskier

Agreed. It would depend on the size and diversity of the terrain as well as location. And other infrastructure like lifts and snowmaking.

Assuming it was a decent mix of the above I would not blink at 3k but would swallow hard at 4K.

Back to Platty or we'll hear from Scotty.

I'd pay a bit more to have a "passholders only" mountain, but I wouldn't be willing to pay as much as it would likely cost. You have to offset the loss of day ticket revenue, pass sales (from higher costs), and loss of all other revenue streams that would be impacted by less people on the mountain (food, beverage, ski school, rentals, etc). Sure with less people on the mountain maybe you could cut some costs on staffing or some services, but a lot of your major overhead items are more fixed costs (lifts, snowmaking, etc).

Interesting idea, but I doubt there's a viable way to do it for a reasonable price with a decent sized mountain. A place like MRG with minimal infrastructure might be the type of place where it would work and still be able to appeal to people looking for decent skiing. Smaller than that and I'd lose interest. Bigger and it would cost too much.

Smellytele

I'd pay a bit more to have a "passholders only" mountain, but I wouldn't be willing to pay as much as it would likely cost. You have to offset the loss of day ticket revenue, pass sales (from higher costs), and loss of all other revenue streams that would be impacted by less people on the mountain (food, beverage, ski school, rentals, etc). Sure with less people on the mountain maybe you could cut some costs on staffing or some services, but a lot of your major overhead items are more fixed costs (lifts, snowmaking, etc).

Interesting idea, but I doubt there's a viable way to do it for a reasonable price with a decent sized mountain. A place like MRG with minimal infrastructure might be the type of place where it would work and still be able to appeal to people looking for decent skiing. Smaller than that and I'd lose interest. Bigger and it would cost too much.

MRG has inconsistent conditions and could not survive. How many pass holders do they have now? While I love the place I couldn’t put my money into a place that I didn’t know would be open on a consistent basis or with skiable conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

MRG has inconsistent conditions and could not survive. How many pass holders do they have now? While I love the place I couldn’t put my money into a place that I didn’t know would be open on a consistent basis or with skiable conditions.

I agree. And that's why I don't think this idea is really viable for what people are actually willing to pay. If people want more infrastructure than that example (i.e. more snowmaking), it will cost. MRG is about as bare bones as it gets from an infrastructure perspective. And I still think a season pass if it was passholders only would cost more than people have suggested they'd be willing to pay.

tnt1234

You guys are talking about a country club for skiing. A private club.

A good golf course around my area has greens fees of about $75. A country club costs 25K.

x10003q

You guys are talking about a country club for skiing. A private club.

A good golf course around my area has greens fees of about $75. A country club costs 25K.

A crowded golf course might see 350-400 golfers/day. That many people could be sitting on 1 quad chair. Ski areas can hold thousands of people and have zero lift lines and empty trails.

JimG.

Staff member
I think $5-10k would be the max for the very reason x10003q points out.

It would come down to how many skiers would be takers at those prices.

ScottySkis

Platty officaly virus plan on the website
No surprise

Those who love Plattekill. Their season pass and Covid guidelines are out. Pretty reasonable with lodge and outside heated food court available. No advance reservations needed. Pass holders have priority. They are going ahead with some alpine and kids programs although with some limitations.
They are selling season parking pass as well, is this the upper parking lot?
https://www.plattekill.com/covid-19e