• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

sledride

I'm interested in any first hand info on today's conditions. Anyone there today?

KustyTheKlown

i'm going tomorrow. with vermont likely freezing solid tomorrow it doesnt seem worth the time money and effort. platty got 3" the other day, tho it appears to have mostly melted off based on webcams. theyre at about 90% open tho, and should get at least 1" overnight tonight. hoping for the best, but wont be angry if its not amazing. easy cheap day trip. get to sleep later than normal on a friday night (yay 4:30 AM wake up instead of 2:00), and be home by about 7 PM. my better half appreciates the low key plan this week.

sledride

Staying in the area tomorrow night so I'm trying to decide whether to get up early and get some skiing in tomorrow. Definitely skiing there Sunday.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Good one on Sunday:

view-from-plunge.jpg

two-plattekill-skiers.jpg

late-day-plunge.jpg

https://nyskiblog.com/plattekill-runnin-down-the-dream/

ScottySkis

To our Plattekill Family:
The safety of our guests and our staff is paramount in this unprecedented global health crisis. Until further notice, Plattekill will remain closed. “It ain’t over til it’s over”, but for now we must work together as a nation, a state and a community.

Stay safe and please do your part.

Warm regards,
Danielle and Laszlo Vajtay
Nice statement

ScottySkis

I raise a glass to all my friends and family on this St Patrick's Day wishing you all good health during these trying times. I hate skiing alone, and more importantly drinking alone, but this I must do for the foreseeable future. Just know that I am thinking of you all from this isolated, yet not so isolated part of the world. I look forward to skiing and drinking with you in the near future. I hope it happens sooner than later, but whatever it is, we shall press on and get through this together. Till we meet again, this inventory, and this snow base will go into storage and wait for your return.

tnt1234

I raise a glass to all my friends and family on this St Patrick's Day wishing you all good health during these trying times. I hate skiing alone, and more importantly drinking alone, but this I must do for the foreseeable future. Just know that I am thinking of you all from this isolated, yet not so isolated part of the world. I look forward to skiing and drinking with you in the near future. I hope it happens sooner than later, but whatever it is, we shall press on and get through this together. Till we meet again, this inventory, and this snow base will go into storage and wait for your return.

cheers!

ScottySkis

Any 1 closer to Roxbury NY an lovely idea to help people in care everywhere..
At Plattekill Mtn we have quite a bit of perishable foods we would like to give away to anyone who may need them. For example, we have several gallons of whole milk, half and half, a case of lettuce, onions, carrots, potatoes; non of which we want to throw away, that would be a waste. Who needs these, we are happy to share.

ScottySkis

During these very challenging times the country is facing, one of our own, local resident and family friend Tristan Mulder, needs your help more than ever. Tristan suffered a traumatic back and neck injury and is fighting the fight of his life in Albany Med. Please donate and support Tristan if you can. I've known Tristan's parents since we were young ski instructors at Plattekill, and have known Tristan since he was born and watched him become an amazing freestyle skier and career builder contractor. Our hearts ache for his family and our prayers are endless for Tristan's healing. Please read about his status at this link updated by his Aunt, and do what you can if you can. If you can share this it would be most appreciated to spread the healing thoughts and prayers.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-...ok&utm_campaign=p_email+5102-48hr-donor-share

ScottySkis

https://skiing.substack.com/p/why-plattekill-could-become-king

Why Plattekill Could Become King of The Catskills in a Socially Distant 2020-21 Ski Season

Plattekill Mountain is the smallest and least-developed ski area in New York's Catskills. Here's why it may be the best positioned mountain in the region to survive in a 2020-21 season defined by social distancing. Plus a full Northeast season pass update, including new deferral or refund options
Bolton Valley, Pats Peak Ski Area, Ragged Mountain Resort, Mount Peter, and Blue Mountain Resort as the industry continues to evolve its response to Covid-19.

https://skiing.substack.com/p/why-plattekill-could-become-king

Last edited:

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
Good for Plattekill, but if they really try to do what Baldy did here in the NE. There will be a lucky few who will be able to ski. Everyone else will be having the same problem getting a lift ticket as we've been trying to get Purell!

BenedictGomez

I thought that article was ridiculous in terms of logic failure. Platty will thrive essentially because not that many people go there is a real, "then Sir Robin & I jump OUT of the wooden rabbit" sort of thing, as obviously if more people show up it negates much of the social distancing potential benefit he's ascribing. All this is irrelevant anyway, there's going to be a 2020-2021 ski season. All this draconian stuff is getting annoying.