• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I was guessing at the depth, but Belle is east so it makes sense that they got more. From a pure tree skiing POV Belle probably made more sense. But opening day a Plattekill, I kinda gotta be there if I can.

EDIT: tnt not precisely sure, somewhere under the double. I tend to seek out partners who know their way around (like ScottSki in the pic above) follow, ski and shoot. We found several areas where we could link a few dozen turns.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
I was guessing at the depth, but Belle is east so it makes sense that they got more. From a pure tree skiing POV Belle probably made more sense. But opening day a Plattekill, I kinda gotta be there if I can.

Def not questioning your choice!

Smellytele

We didn't get stuck anywhere, we had fun on the line pictured above.

Were steep trees in play where you skied this week? The pics I saw from NoVT did look deep.

In the cats we had maybe ~24 inches of snow and we made it work.

As I originally said the camera angle must have been off as it looked totally flat and I’ll add that the person looked to be moving.

By the way I skied in Northern NH and did ski steeper glades this weekend. Cannon - Lost boys and over At Mittersill

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Loved Mittersill when I skied it, almost ten years ago. I think it's changed, not as wild?

plattekill-woods-in-december.jpg

Photo looks to have a bit more pitch, but at the time it didn't seem that different.

In almost every case we went as low angle as we could.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Loved Mittersill when I skied it, almost tens years ago. I think it's changed, not as wild?

plattekill-woods-in-december.jpg

Photo looks to have a bit more pitch, but at the time it didn't seem that different.

In almost every case we went as low angle as we could.

You had fun and that’s all that matters. And no ski damage. We’re all in it for the same thing- having fun!

raisingarizona

As I originally said the camera angle must have been off as it looked totally flat and I’ll add that the person looked to be moving.

By the way I skied in Northern NH and did ski steeper glades this weekend. Cannon - Lost boys and over At Mittersill

It’s all fun and games until someone gets a compound tib/fib fracture

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
So this epic thread is officially named:

Platty. Info directions ..( end thread.hyjacking in Bell trip report

Can someone post a link to the original Belle TR?

ScottySkis

My season pass for Bellaire Gore Whiteface does not state the year on the card so I guess it be pain in the ass to use at Platy season pass holder day

cdskier

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but since Belleayre has been talked about a bunch in here, thought this might work. Saw a petition circulating on Facebook to try to convince Belleayre to bring back more moguls:

https://www.change.org/p/mike-pratt...versity-of-terrain-to-suit-all-ability-levels

I'm sure this would be of some interest to a few people here. Even though I rarely make it to Belleayre now, I still signed because the bumps (and diversity of bumps) was one of my favorite parts of Belleayre back when I used to go there on a regular basis. They had what I would consider pretty much an ideal mixture of bumps and groomers before the arrival of Bruce...

kingslug

It has changed for the better...and worse. The no mogul thing is worse. Hunter has the same problem. Only real mogul runs are upper xover and lower K. Both very short. Not sure why this is happening..People should be able to learn how to do them..if they want.

slatham

It has changed for the better...and worse. The no mogul thing is worse. Hunter has the same problem. Only real mogul runs are upper xover and lower K. Both very short. Not sure why this is happening..People should be able to learn how to do them..if they want.

Hold on, Hunter grooms everything except Upper crossover and Lower K27? Is this just due to YTD weather issues, or is this systematic? Or are other favorite bump runs not open like Cliff and Annapurna?

Bandit2941

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but since Belleayre has been talked about a bunch in here, thought this might work. Saw a petition circulating on Facebook to try to convince Belleayre to bring back more moguls:

https://www.change.org/p/mike-pratt...versity-of-terrain-to-suit-all-ability-levels

I'm sure this would be of some interest to a few people here. Even though I rarely make it to Belleayre now, I still signed because the bumps (and diversity of bumps) was one of my favorite parts of Belleayre back when I used to go there on a regular basis. They had what I would consider pretty much an ideal mixture of bumps and groomers before the arrival of Bruce...

Thank you for sharing this. We put this together along with a letter writing campaign to ORDA and the governor. Many longtime pass holders are not happy with the new GM (Bruce Transue) who came from Hunter. I don’t know what his big problem with bumps are but word on the street is he ruined Hunters bumps and so far I’d say it’s true.

danimals

Hold on, Hunter grooms everything except Upper crossover and Lower K27? Is this just due to YTD weather issues, or is this systematic? Or are other favorite bump runs not open like Cliff and Annapurna?

Past two seasons at hunter have been freeze thaw weekly, not so conducive to bumps. Hell I haven’t seen much of hunter west open past two seasons besides way out and Claire’s last week for a hot second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kingslug

They groom Clairs when its open. I used to go down it in solid moguls. Racers edge as well. There used to be a B mogul course on Eisenhower once in a while. Its changed. But I still go there as its the best withing 2 hours from me.

skiur

Most of the people posting here like bumps and ungroomed terrain but we unfortunately dont represent the majority of skiers. The masses that are paying the bills would rather boring flat groomers so we lose out.

abc

Most of the people posting here like bumps and ungroomed terrain but we unfortunately dont represent the majority of skiers. The masses that are paying the bills would rather boring flat groomers so we lose out.
The question boils down to whether the owner/operator want to run the mountain just like their neighbors by catering to the "average" skiers ONLY.

Skiing hit a pretty significant decline back in the 80's (or early 90? I forgot) partly because people were bored with well-groomed runs, and well-groomed runs ONLY. Then, fortunately, terrain parks came up like mushrooms. I remember I only skied 1 or 2 weekends each season because I was bored. And those 1 or 2 weekends were only done so I can get some air in the park. (I was a skier and not a teen).

Then, came trees. Then I got interested in bumps, which is trees long after the storm had gone.

Really, had it not for the diversity of terrains since then, I'd probably spent my winters taking trips to Florida the last 20 years!