• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Roxbury best Sat. today well epic comes to mind.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
My main point still stands, that I was disagreeing with the fact that BG was saying the Platty doubles were like those of other hills. No way. If you took those runs and plopped them on most any other hill in the US, they would be rated a blue. That's my point.

Maybe out west...but not here in the east. Platty's blacks can stand up to a lot of eastern mountains.

BenedictGomez

My main point still stands, that I was disagreeing with the fact that BG was saying the Platty doubles were like those of other hills. No way. If you took those runs and plopped them on most any other hill in the US, they would be rated a blue. That's my point.

I only referenced two specific trails. And yes, any trail with a 30+ degree pitch like Blockbuster would be rated a diamond anywhere in North America, even out west. I'm certainly not saying it's brutally difficult (it's not), but to claim Blockbuster would be an intermediate at "most any other hill in the US" is ludicrous. Psychologically, I know 30 degrees doesnt seem steep, but it is. In fact, most trails in the high 20s in America (east AND west) are rated diamonds as well.

Gunny J

Website
skiingnepa.blogspot.com
Hippie Chick you need to ski around to compare , Ski Belleayre ,Windham , Hunter, West Mountain, Elk then compare. Hero snow the day you skied Plattie, come back after a rain freeze ,you won't cruise down as easy.

hippiechick

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match. Just saying what I've seen so far. I've only been on the east coast a short time, and haven't skied much out here. If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

From what I've seen so far here, rating isn't as much steepness, but other trail challenges (trees, moguls, etc), whereas what I learned on, it's moreso steepness.

Just my opinion/observation.

BenedictGomez

For perspective..... and I dont know if this is true, but...

Another of the steepest runs in the world is Rambo at Crested Butte, Colorado. At 56 degrees, it's marketed as the steepest cut run in North America.

ScottySkis

I'm not trying to get in a pissing match. Just saying what I've seen so far. I've only been on the east coast a short time, and haven't skied much out here. If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

From what I've seen so far here, rating isn't as much steepness, but other trail challenges (trees, moguls, etc), whereas what I learned on, it's moreso steepness.

I think your learning. Have you been to any hills in North Vermont? They have some big vertical, lots ot natural snow fall and nice vibes. I think you like it their.

abc

Personal perception is really not the best way to go by. Numbers ARE actually more fair, if not terribly useful. By number, the hardest trail in Platty are either hard blacks or qualify as geniun double blacks.

When I first went out west, I was awed by the steepness of their trails. However, I quickly found they're actually eaiser to ski because my skis' edge bite in solidly. I did my first batch of black out west first before I was comfortable enough to handle the east coast blacks.

Even now, I don't usually seek out double black in the northeast. But I've actually skied quite many double blacks out west in various mountains. It's really what you're used to or good at. So persaonl bias does play a big part.

hippiechick

Hippie Chick you need to ski around to compare , Ski Belleayre ,Windham , Hunter, West Mountain, Elk then compare. Hero snow the day you skied Plattie, come back after a rain freeze ,you won't cruise down as easy.

Skiing on a crusty sheet of ice doesn't do it for me. I'm not that good, and it's just not that fun - I'm not trying to prove myself, I'm trying to have fun. I not only prefer fresh snow for the obvious reasons, but it hurts a lot less when you biff in powder, and when you don't have medical insurance, it makes a huge difference on how much risk you're willing to take. I do want to check out more places. I realize I don't have many on my list so far. No, I haven't been to north VT yet - I definitely want to check out Stowe & Jay. I have 2 fur kids, so overnight trips are almost impossible, or super expensive to do.

ScottySkis

Skiing on a crusty sheet of ice doesn't do it for me. I'm not that good, and it's just not that fun - I'm not trying to prove myself, I'm trying to have fun. I not only prefer fresh snow for the obvious reasons, but it hurts a lot less when you biff in powder, and when you don't have medical insurance, it makes a huge difference on how much risk you're willing to take. I do want to check out more places. I realize I don't have many on my list so far. No, I haven't been to north VT yet - I definitely want to check out Stowe & Jay. I have 2 fur kids, so overnight trips are almost impossible, or super expensive to do.

There are places that will watch your puppies. Sugarbush is also great, a little closer then Stowe, and vibe is more chill, then Stowe in my opinion. I also don't want to waste money skiing ice and don't but you just need snow from 2 days ago to have good to great conditions. Biggest thing I can say about that is watch the weather at the hill you want to go, after a week or so except for Mad River Glen and Platty conditions will normally be good or better because of grooming, and snow making and lake effect or snow that happens that you never know it did with out the great trip reports from here.

hippiechick

Traveling for hours on end with two labs in a Jeep full of ski gear is NO FUN. I've done it. As far as catching good conditions, I'm not out to get my numbers high. I'd go broke doing it anyway. Quality over quantity, even if it means only skiing once or twice in a winter. I think I did pretty good this year, and if I don't make it out again, I'm okay with that.

Bene288

I'm on your boat. I really liked Plattekill, and I am definitely going back. I know ratings are all specific to each mountain, but I don't find their double black terrain much if anymore difficult than the single blacks. The trails are steep, but weren't as steep/challenging as I was expecting judging by the map.