• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 3-9-13

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
PP in morning, firm slush in PM
Skied 10 to 4
Sunny, 40 degrees

Booted up and exited the Sundance lodge to a slightly less crowded main base area than on a normal Saturday. I headed straight to the North Face, and found all the people. 7 minutes in the singles line to ride the Challenger Triple, yes, both chairs were running. Skied Ripcord for the first time ever! Yeah, I found out this trail is deserving of its Expert rating. Sides had nice, soft, powdery moguls, while the middle had ice moguls. Lapped it 4 times. Did the trees next to Oylimpic twice, still had thick coverage. By now it was 1 and I decided to head over to Sunbrook. Everyone followed me! 5 minutes in line for the Beartrap lift! The trail Beartrap, however, had puuuuuurrrrrrfect round, soft moguls. It was only 40 degrees, but it felt like 60. People were taking off their shirts! It was quite a scene! Thank you to the instructor who did a couple runs with me to work on my mogul skills. Skied Beartrap till 2, then went over to the main face. Canyon and One More Time laps ended my day. Great day to kick off spring skiing!

drjeff

Got that right! Standing atop that headwall, I felt my fear of heights kicking in! Steepest trail I ever skied! Next step: Outer Limits

Even though they're both essentially the same degree of steepness, Ripcord has always seemed steeper/tougher to me than outer limits- my guess is that it has much more to due with OL's wide width and atleast subconsciously that gives me a bit of a bailout zone, whereas Ripcord's relative narrowness doesn't give nearly as much lateral bailout zone should you miss a turn!

MadMadWorld

Got that right! Standing atop that headwall, I felt my fear of heights kicking in! Steepest trail I ever skied! Next step: Outer Limits

Actually, I think for once those pictures do the trail justice. Especially the 4th one.

vcunning

It was a spectacular weekend, except for my brilliant visiting nephew (full academic scholarship in Biomedical engineering, plays in a band at some pretty big venues and has girlfriends that are all models) forgot to put sunscreen on his Irish face. But conditions were just absolutely great. It was a perfect day for an old guy like me to tear up some very soft bumps. I'm still sore.

DrJeff, sorry to hear about E's DNQ. Knowing her competitive nature, I'm sure she was less than pleased.

MadMadWorld

It was a spectacular weekend, except for my brilliant visiting nephew (full academic scholarship in Biomedical engineering, plays in a band at some pretty big venues and has girlfriends that are all models) forgot to put sunscreen on his Irish face. But conditions were just absolutely great. It was a perfect day for an old guy like me to tear up some very soft bumps. I'm still sore.

DrJeff, sorry to hear about E's DNQ. Knowing her competitive nature, I'm sure she was less than pleased.

Wow college sure has changed

Cornhead

My face is only 1/4 Irish, that's enough, I look like a raccoon today, badge of honor. Mt Snow is on my hit list...some day. Ripcord looks yummy, Blockbuster at Platty was sublime yesterday.