• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2013

mlctvt

I'm up to 318.3 miles on the MTB for the year. Much better than last year so far!

That's 318.3 more miles than me on the MTB. I hope to use my cross bike for some fall double-track then get back on my MTB for the first time in years later this fall and winter. It's an old hard tail Rockhopper from the mid 90s but it's still like new. I'll start out with some not too difficult trails near my house , I'm not sure I want to get into real technical stuff like you guys do though.

ScottySkis

Went Mountain biking today at Walnut Mountain in Liberty NY lots of great one track trails and fun, probably ride 12 miles I guess. Loving being near so many great hills.
561392_732991273383749_1161307450_n.jpg
Used to be a ski hill in the 1920s.

Last edited:

BackLoafRiver

Not so much a "total mileage" check-in. Rather a "wow, has it really been that long" post.

Got out today for my first time in weeks. Work has been impossible and when I have had time, the weather hasn't been cooperating.

Did a quick 12 miler at Bradbury. Gorgeous afternoon for a ride, albeit a little cool. No bugs. Tons of standing water however. A few sections of mandatory "hike-a-bike". This past Saturday was the 12-hour race and, since I am sure it rained all day, it did a severe number on the system. Still, found a new favorite loop on the mountain side. They have improved a bunch of the features over the past few months including this new system of bridges.

1239000_10153230737665276_643151911_n.jpg

My only gripe is that the old bridge (you can see on the right) was much more challenging and actually required decent placement/ skill to ride. The new group, however, I am sure addresses some of the environmental concerns more so than the prior structure.

bvibert

Staff member
My only gripe is that the old bridge (you can see on the right) was much more challenging and actually required decent placement/ skill to ride. The new group, however, I am sure addresses some of the environmental concerns more so than the prior structure.

I hate it when that happens! Sometimes it's for the best though...

bvibert

Staff member
Yeah, so my season is quickly falling apart, as it typical this time of year, for a variety of reasons (kid's soccer season, kid's school, deferred maintenance (auto/home) catching up to me, work, etc..). I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks.. :(

I'm up to 327 miles for the year.

Hopefully I can get back in the saddle this week!

BackLoafRiver

Yeah, so my season is quickly falling apart, as it typical this time of year, for a variety of reasons (kid's soccer season, kid's school, deferred maintenance (auto/home) catching up to me, work, etc..). I haven't ridden in almost 3 weeks.. :(

I'm up to 327 miles for the year.

Hopefully I can get back in the saddle this week!

I feel you homie. Today was my first road ride in over 2 weeks and yesterday was my first MTB ride in over 2. Not good. I was hoping I would be way above where I am. Actually, I was on pace for an awesome season. As it is, my "seat" is so sore and out of shape from the past two days. Ugh. I am grossly out of riding shape despite being in fine physical shape. It's amazing what a difference taking some time off makes. (and not in a good way)

fahz

Car was in the shop yesterday due to the check engine light blues, so I hoped on the mb and rode it to work. Nice way to squeeze in a 11.27 mile ride on a crisp fall morning. Shorter days and the jam packed weekends are making it harder to get a few last rides in. Anyone use Endomondo?

BackLoafRiver

Last club ride of the year last night. Its too dark by 6:30 to run a group ride safely. We averaged 21 mph for 19 miles. I rode 6 miles or so before hand just to warm up. It was sad to end the season with them. Riding with a group of fast guys on a weekly basis was pushing me to get out on my road bike and work hard.

o3jeff

I don't think I broke 100 miles between road and mountain biking this year. Am getting a lot of hiking in though.

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't been out since Oct 3rd. Hopefully I'll get out a few more times before ski season gets into full swing down here...

mlctvt

Anyone else still out riding?

Me and my wife are. Up until last week we were still riding 100+ miles per week although it's getting tough to fit it in. Tomorrow we'll ride 65 - 70 miles but we'll have to take Sunday off to rake leaves/yard cleanup. Weekday rides are about once week when I take long lunch and ride.

We'll continue riding as long as it's above about 40 degrees and there's no skiing at Mount Snow

mlctvt

I skied at Mount Snow yesterday but had to come home for the weekend for family commitments. I had sore legs from skiing with five 18 year olds yesterday so I thought I'd hit the roads for a few hours to loosen them up. 38 miles today, 55 degrees , felt like a spring day. This will probably be my last road ride of the year unless this warm weather continues. total for 2013 , 4378 miles

2010 Road miles_____________ 2011 Road miles__________ 2012 Road miles_______2013 Road miles
February 0 miles_____________ February 24 miles_________ February 24 miles______February 0 miles
March 114 miles_____________ March 129 miles __________ March 248 miles_______ March 142 miles
April 271 miles______________ April 360 miles____________ April 386 miles________ April 366 miles
May 585 miles_______________May 582 miles____________ May 457 miles ________ May 479 miles
June 790 miles_______________June 668 miles___________ June 416 miles ________ June 593 miles
July 621 miles________________July 923 miles___________ July 673 miles _________ July 671 miles
August 657 miles_____________ August 472 miles_________ August 612 miles ______ August 903 miles
September 691 miles__________ Sept 572 miles___________ Sept 644 miles________ Sept 723 miles
October 335 miles ____________ October 239 miles________ October 242 miles______ October 361 miles
November 238 miles___________ November 139 miles______ November 117 miles ____November 102 miles
2010 season total 4302 miles----- 2011 total 4108 miles-------- 2012 total 3819 miles-----December 38 miles

BackLoafRiver

Wow. Good for you. That is an impressive total.

As an aside, do you ever go through a phase where you want nothing to do with your road rig? At the end of my season, all I wanted to do was MTB. The thought of pounding pavement was so unappealing that I passed on several fantastic days to ride. I probably only got out a handful of times in October. How do you overcome it?

mlctvt

Wow. Good for you. That is an impressive total.

As an aside, do you ever go through a phase where you want nothing to do with your road rig? At the end of my season, all I wanted to do was MTB. The thought of pounding pavement was so unappealing that I passed on several fantastic days to ride. I probably only got out a handful of times in October. How do you overcome it?

Yes, I started to get a little burned out earlier this fall after the 1600 miles I rode in August and September. But I think this was due to the fact that we usually ride from home or work and the same roads for every ride started to get monotonous. So we got out the cross bikes and did some dirt road riding in the fall to break it up. We also took out the tandem more in Sept and Oct , this really mixes it up too.
Overall though both my wife and I love riding- when we retire in 5-10 years we'll probably ride cross country.
We've only done tours up to 10-days so far. We may try to do an extended trip this summer to see what a couple of weeks on a touring bike is really like. Possibly a tour up into Quebec .

kendall

Website
www.foresthillsrunners.org
Any advice on winter riding when the weather is vacillating so wildly from cold to warm and ice seems to be in the most unlikely of places?

Also, posted this elsewhere, but would appreciate some perspective:

I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade my groupset on my roadbike or my wheels. I only have $1500 and therefore can't do both.

Thanks for any advice.

mlctvt

Any advice on winter riding when the weather is vacillating so wildly from cold to warm and ice seems to be in the most unlikely of places?

Also, posted this elsewhere, but would appreciate some perspective:

I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade my groupset on my roadbike or my wheels. I only have $1500 and therefore can't do both.

Thanks for any advice.

What road bike do you have? What components /wheels are currently on it?

kendall

Website
www.foresthillsrunners.org
What road bike do you have? What components /wheels are currently on it?

For my road bike, I ride a 2012 Fuji Roubaix SL with Tiagra/105 components and stock wheels.

I'm primarily a triathlete, though, and have a Scott Plasma 2 frame with SRAM Red groupset and stock wheels. So I'd be getting the wheels for the tri bike primarily... something pretty deep since I race at 23+ mph and can therefore get some decent advantage that way.