• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bike Log 2013

BackLoafRiver

That a being said, I upgraded my wheels on my road bike last season (moving from the stock mavics) and saw an instant difference in handling/ speed/ and efficiency. In your stated budget you can get some pretty decent wheel sets (and probably have enough left over to swap the few tiagra components up to 105s to match the rest of the group)

kendall

Website
www.foresthillsrunners.org
That a being said, I upgraded my wheels on my road bike last season (moving from the stock mavics) and saw an instant difference in handling/ speed/ and efficiency. In your stated budget you can get some pretty decent wheel sets (and probably have enough left over to swap the few tiagra components up to 105s to match the rest of the group)

Great thought and thanks for the response.

mlctvt

For my road bike, I ride a 2012 Fuji Roubaix SL with Tiagra/105 components and stock wheels.

I'm primarily a triathlete, though, and have a Scott Plasma 2 frame with SRAM Red groupset and stock wheels. So I'd be getting the wheels for the tri bike primarily... something pretty deep since I race at 23+ mph and can therefore get some decent advantage that way.

If you're a triathlete you might want to read this article on wind tunnel testing of bikes/riders. They found that what you wear and your position on the bike is much more important than aero wheels etc.
I agree that working on position isn't nearly as fun as shopping for new gear though!

http://janheine.wordpress.com/2012/05/02/aerodynamics-of-real-world-bicycles/

Interesting that moving your stem down just 3/4" decreased drag by 5%! Time to flip the stem if it already isn't and ditch the baggy clothes.

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't been out since Oct 3rd. Hopefully I'll get out a few more times before ski season gets into full swing down here...

I never did end up getting out after Oct 3rd, pretty sure I ended up with 341.6 MTB miles for the year.