• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Belleayre 3-10-13

skiking4

Real fun day. 50 degrees, sun shining, no lines, arguably 100% open. I wouldn't head into the trees around Glen/Cathedral without at least 100 mm+ underfoot and you like sierra cement, but I could see some awesome lines in there though either after friday that were left untracked or with some wide boys. Trees were a lot of fun, I really like the trees near the top of Superchief. Soft and cuddly in there. Bumps were spectacular today. I will say skiing was extremely slow today, however, and that's a big problem for belleayre.

I got a problem with Belleayre - it's 200 vertical ft of black diamond pitches into some extremely flat blues for the next 600-1000 vertical. Combined with the extra snow today made for some extra slow speed and really hard to build up any sort of speed on the grippy snow on the groomers. Using the skitracks app, I maxed out at 43.7 mph, and that was after zooming down runs like Don Nebel or Belleayre run where I think I might otherwise have still only hit low 50s on a faster day. It's a real slow, flat mountain, but perfect for beginners, intermediates, and intermediates advancing into black diamond terrain.

legalskier

I got a problem with Belleayre - it's 200 vertical ft of black diamond pitches into some extremely flat blues for the next 600-1000 vertical....It's a real slow, flat mountain, but perfect for beginners, intermediates, and intermediates advancing into black diamond terrain.

Too bad you don't know where to look. Oh well, better luck next time.

photo (7).jpg

photo (8).jpg

photo (10).jpg

photo (11).jpg

photo (9).jpg

Too slow? Maybe you're using the wrong wax.

Bene288

Are you sure you weren't hanging out on the lower slopes? Belleayre isn't that flat..

skiking4

I know a bit about Belleayre stashes - over by Cathedral area, Highmount, Dreamcatcher, Pine Hill. I don't know, I think Platty and Hunter are way superior.

skiking4

Dunno if those are the best pics to prove your point. Other than maybe the last photo, those are pretty low-angle trees.

+1
Where are these steeps you speak of (besides, arguably, Highmount, which you can't even get back from)?

ScottySkis

To each his own. I find the parking lot at Platty to have a steeper sustained pitch than almost anything at Belle.

I love skiing to the car at end of the days their.

I will go to Bell when my dad is their with his team that for sure:):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::):thumbup:

Last edited:

dmc

Too bad you don't know where to look. Oh well, better luck next time.

How someone can stop so much to document a few turns in a glad is beyond my comprehension..

Less documentation.... more skiing!!!

BenedictGomez

To each his own. I find the parking lot at Platty to have a steeper sustained pitch than almost anything at Belle.

You can ski to your car? I've never seen anyone do this, but it sounds genius if true; do you cut through the woods somewhere off of Powderpuff?

BenedictGomez

Come up for Bumpin' Blockbuster this weekend, I'll show you the way! My girls love "parking lot runs" ;).

We're thinking about coming up for St. Platty's Day. It depends on the weather and how much rain and/or punishment the potential upcoming thaw/freeze cycle may bring thiws week. Fingers crossed.

legalskier

Dunno if those are the best pics to prove your point. Other than maybe the last photo, those are pretty low-angle trees.

For whatever reason my cellphone cam tends to flatten things- it would make Blockbuster or Claire's look like intermediate runs (you'll see that in my prior TR pics of them). The point just was that he shouldn't have summarily written off the best stuff on the mountain which was the trees/glades.

How someone can stop so much to document a few turns in a glad is beyond my comprehension..
Less documentation.... more skiing!!!

You're probably younger than me, D. 5 hours of nonstop tree skiing requires me to take a few secs here & there to catch my breath, good time for a pic.
;-)