• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Week of March 17 to 23 2013

Puck it

Burke's cam is currently showing heavy snowfall :)

At Cannon too!!!!!

Cannon.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Another late season winter storm hit southern New England hard over the past 24 hours. Below is a map displaying the latest snowfall totals from this storm.

Quiet but chilly weather will be the story on Wed, but there is the risk for more accumulating snow across portions of the southeast New England Coast Thu afternoon into Thu night.

nws boston

206405_422518011175909_1421256564_n.jpg

polski

Website
twitter.com
I've got lodging booked in the MRV Mon and Tue nights and as is often the case my big concern, for Tue at least, is wind. From this afternoon's summit forecast for the Greens:

.TUESDAY...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS IN THE MORNING...THEN SUMMITS BECOMING OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. SNOW. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURES IN THE UPPER TEENS. SOUTHEAST WINDS 35 TO 45 MPH...DECREASING TO 25 TO 40 MPH IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES IN THE SINGLE DIGITS BELOW ZERO.

I realize that's the summits but the forecasts for the valleys don't call for wind to be much lighter. Appreciate intel from anyone familiar with effects of strong SE winds on lifts at MRG and SB. Looks like those would be crosswinds for most chairs at both places, with possible exception of Gatehouse and maybe North Lynx at SB.

I'll answer my own question retrospectively:

On Tuesday at MRG both the single and double opened around 10:30. The single spun for the rest of the day but I am told the double only ran for about an hour. (Using that actionable intelligence I stuck mostly to the double yesterday a.m. and indeed it was quite lightly tracked early in the day.) At SB all upper mountain lifts were on wind hold all day Tues (though as I noted in my TR there was plenty of great snow to keep us entertained off the Green Mountain Express at Mt Ellen all day).

So, short answer, strongish SE winds produced a mixed bag as far as wind holds at MRG and SB.

I'll also say the storm unfolded not quite as forecast for the N Greens. We were supposed to get a front-end thump Monday overnight with a lull most of the day Tues and then a bigger thump Tuesday overnight and nothing more than snow showers yesterday (Wed). SB/MRG got in the area of 4-5" by opening bell Tues but it kept snowing all day, at times heavy; we had at least 8" at Mt Ellen base by the end of the day. Kept snowing into the evening, got, I dunno, another 4" or so overnight but not the 1-2"/hr dumping some had forecast and not a foot of fresh first thing Wed. But it kept snowing most of the day Wed at MRG including 2-3 hrs of moderate to borderline heavy in the early afternoon, adding probably 4" or so over the course of the day. Some lightly skied areas definitely got refills.

ALL GOOD!

Last edited:

polski

Website
twitter.com
p.s. yesterday morning it stopped snowing a little before sunrise half a mile down the road from MRG at the Mad River Barn, and by 8 a.m. the sun was trying to peek through the clouds. As we drove to MRG it started snowing right at the parking lot :) so I figure there was upslope action going on. Similar situation at midday when we did a run down that left us back at the Barn - no snow, sun trying to break through; drive back to the mountain and moderate snowfall there. By late afternoon the snow was more widespread though, moderate to heavy (1"/hr at least) from the mountain to the other side of Roxbury gap, easing up a bit by I-89. Last snow we saw was in W Lebanon.

tekweezle

Its snowed on the way up your Stratton. Could be a good sign.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1

drjeff

"Chronic flurries" most of the day at Mount Snow today! Nice on top of the 3-4" of fluff that fell overnight that fell ontop of the 19" that fell earlier this week :) It's mighty good skiing in SoVt right now!