Is ski season done once spring skiing starts? - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 77
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...
    Classic!


  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I am glad to see that I am in the majority here! My son suspected that I would be! Lots of great input and insight! So, I wasn't sayng that mountains are shutting down more difficult terrain in March, I was talking more about mid April to late April. In fact some resort close with good snow left! BTW, Jay Peak has kept Haynes open into May the last few years. We skied it on Mother's Day! I think resorts like Killington, Jay Peak, Stowe, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and the likes are good at keeping a variety open. I was talking to another friend of mine and their kids are also done for the season. What is that?

    The trails that are available in spring are in his mind the easier trails, he is no ski god but loves hucking of things, tree skiing and the chutes at Jay. He also feels that too many ski areas close trials before there time is really up. Oh and he can ski the bumps but bump skiing is not his thing.

    In any case I love spring skiing and making runs with just a single layer (t-shirts and shorts even) and hanging on the deck, the spring skiing parties etc. It is sad to see the mountains fade away the past winters fun. Spring skiing in my opinion is the celebration of the season past so I enjoy the hell out of it! My wife and I will also ski until the cows come out, so we are with every one here! We are also the type to hit up Killington on opening weekend! Funny thing is our son used to be that way too!

    BTW I used to love bump skiing, but I tore my ACL and meniscus two years ago (spring skiing) and the bumps just seem hard on the knees now! Like the over fifty post!
    If hucking is his thing, check out Wildcat in the spring. They are probably the most liberal about keeping their expert terrain open deep into the spring. And god knows Wildcat has plenty of rocks to huck.

  3. #33
    I think the 3, 4 time a year skiers, the very casual / occasional skiers, pretty much tune out from skiing starting right about now. Especially once a few 50 degree + days hit in the suburbs.

    For the rest of us, not yet! !!!
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

    Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

    Get AZ on your mobile phone!

  4. #34
    I was there on Mother's Day, sorry Mom. Come again this year, Tmcc71 and I have shared turns at Jay on their last days the last two seasons, it's a tradition I have no problem continuing, seemed more like Winter last year. Spring skiing is always bittersweet to me, I love the corn snow, and the warm temps, and the "scenery", but I know the end is near. I always lament getting into good enough ski shape to handle skiing corn all day, then poof, season over. I took part in Time For Tuckerman's "Slackfest" on Memorial Day Weekend a couple years ago, it was great. Skied Sluice the next day at Tuck's. It was a great way to spend the holiday weekend, camping, hiking, skiing. I can remember everyone at work discussing their holiday plans prior to the weekend. Camping, going to the beach, etc. I got a lot of confused looks when I said I planned on skiing over the weekend.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    I was there on Mother's Day, sorry Mom.
    I've spent my fair share of Mom's Days at Tuckerman Ravine...

    She's cool with it..

  6. #36
    hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    flatlands of Mass.
    Posts
    5,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think the 3, 4 time a year skiers, the very casual / occasional skiers, pretty much tune out from skiing starting right about now. Especially once a few 50 degree + days hit in the suburbs.

    For the rest of us, not yet! !!!
    Over more or less for the rest of the family...I do want to get out again but spring activities will start to get in the way once the snow in the yard melts.

  7. #37
    It is much harder to get out in the spring, at least from here in Jersey. Daytrips aren't reasonable, so you have to take a whole weekend, and once you neglect the yardwork for a weekend or two, you're really fighting up uphill battle, especially in April.

    Lame, I know, but it is what it is.

  8. #38
    My season goes into high gear after the febuary vacationers go home. Sun slush and lunch on the veranda

  9. #39

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Posts
    3,636
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post
    It is much harder to get out in the spring, at least from here in Jersey. Daytrips aren't reasonable, so you have to take a whole weekend, and once you neglect the yardwork for a weekend or two, you're really fighting up uphill battle, especially in April.

    Lame, I know, but it is what it is.
    The days (daylight at least) are longer and little bits of yard work can be done after work on weekdays. Anyways I'll fight that uphill battle to get more runs in. January and February are Pocono months for me, March and April are travel time. Will be doing the I-87 shuffle this weekend and then again most of April after returning from Utah. The lawn will recover, it always does.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    The days (daylight at least) are longer and little bits of yard work can be done after work on weekdays. Anyways I'll fight that uphill battle to get more runs in. January and February are Pocono months for me, March and April are travel time. Will be doing the I-87 shuffle this weekend and then again most of April after returning from Utah. The lawn will recover, it always does.

    Alex

    Lake Hopatcong, NJ

    There's always a 1-2 week stretch in late April to early May when I have to mow my lawn 3 times a week.

    I'm not saying it won't get done, or that I won't fight the battle too. Just commenting that it is harder.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:45 AM.