• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
According to him it doesn't because he keeps his leg strong. At our age it doesn't make sense to have surgery. He's been a joint surgeon for over 30 years. If he tells me I don't need surgery I'll take his advice especially since he's in the same boat as me. If it doesn't work out I can always have surgery at a later date.

Thurman Thomas played most of his NFL career without ACLs.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Thurman Thomas played most of his NFL career without ACLs.

Didn't know about Thomas. John Elway played his entire College and Pro career without an ACL in his left knee. He trashed it in High School and back then it was considered a career ending injury, so he didn't get it repaired.

Cannonball

Didn't know about Thomas. John Elway played his entire College and Pro career without an ACL in his left knee. He trashed it in High School and back then it was considered a career ending injury, so he didn't get it repaired.

Yeah, I used to see Elway at Copper all the time when I worked there. He wasn't allowed to ski. He'd hang out and watch his family. That just blows....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, I used to see Elway at Copper all the time when I worked there. He wasn't allowed to ski. He'd hang out and watch his family. That just blows....

Bledsoe had it in his Patriots contract that he couldn't ski. I wouldn't be surprised if skiing was part of the reason why he retired as young as he did. He could have hung on as a back up QB for a few more years if he wanted to.

I wonder if his custom skis are any good?

MadMadWorld

Bledsoe had it in his Patriots contract that he couldn't ski. I wouldn't be surprised if skiing was part of the reason why he retired as young as he did. He could have hung on as a back up QB for a few more years if he wanted to.

I wonder if his custom skis are any good?

Count me out as being a Bledsoe fan. Terrible pocket presence....terrible at reading defenses.....long delivery. They figured him out pretty quickly. On the bright side, we could have drafted Rick Mirer instead.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Count me out as being a Bledsoe fan. Terrible pocket presence....terrible at reading defenses.....long delivery. They figured him out pretty quickly. On the bright side, we could have drafted Rick Mirer instead.

Figured him out quickly? That's kind of harsh. He had a 6-7 year run where he was among the best QBs in the league, then had 1 more great year in Buf and another solid year in Dal.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BledDr00.htm

C-Rex

Spring is park time for me. Since bumps are really not much fun on a board. But it's great to hit big jumps without the threat of shattering your face on a boilerplate landing. If the coverage is good, the woods are awesome in the spring. I'll ride until its just not worth the 2+ hour drive anymore, then I switch to mountain biking. I love when the two seasons overlap. One year we started downhilling at Mt. Snow when we had to cross huge patches of snow in shady spots on the trails. Definitely added a new element of difficulty to the trails!

dlague

My wife is the Mom that was with her kids skiing Haynes! She loves Mother's Day at Jay Peak! My son is a ski instructor, skis twice per weekend between Christmas vacation up to the winter break that ends at the beginning of March, yet for him he is done! Obviously we did not raise him right!

Well - yard work has to wait if it does not get done during the week! A few of our favorite stops are Ragged for the pond skim, Bretton Woods - great deck for spring and Jay Peak every Easter!

Puck it

I blew out my ACL when I was in my late 20's playing intramural hockey in grad school. I had it repaired in my late 30's per doctor telling that he would be doing a knee replacment in a few years. I wore a custom brace to ski and play hockey and even golf. Knee would still pop out. It would hurt like a bastard for a few minutes and then I was good to go again. After the repair, it is night and day. It is still due to lack of cartilidge but as long as I move. No problems.

Get it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!

dlague

You my friend need to get yourself to the gym.

My legs are fine - I bike 12 - 20 miles several times per week. Along with an ACL replacement, 1/3 of my menicus was removed on the inner side of the leg that got repaired so I ski the bumps when I need to, ski them when I want to but I don't go looking for them as much any more! But after a day of too much bump skiing or skiing glades that get bumped out - I feel it! That is just the way it is and it really does not bother me! There are plenty of ways to have fun skiing that do not involve moguls!

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
My left ACL is partially torn, and I was told the same thing, strengthen it and you won't have any issues. Since then, I wrestled in college, played rugby for 6 years, and now ski and run without any real issue. Sometimes it bothers me, but I think that has more to do with my dislocated patella (twice) than the ACL.

Cheese

But it's great to hit big jumps without the threat of shattering your face on a boilerplate landing.

Sadly I ended my spring skiing a few years back this way. Slower snow meant I got almost all the height but didn't get the distance and cased the big one at Waterville. Phuque that hurt! Bruised my heel, couldn't ski another run that day and couldn't ski the remaining month after that. Should have stuck to the bumps.

Saddleback & Crotched Mountain - 2/3/2013

Night skiing after a long a$$ drive?

dlague

F*** the lawn! Get dlague's kid to mow your lawn, he doesn't want to go at this point anyway.

100% agree! Actually - I really do not do much to mine until May - I try not to encourage grass growth! That would be counter-skiing! However, we will have another son in soccer which throws a wrench but hopefully only once per weekend! Thankfully our our oldest at home son plays HS Lacrosse and games are during the week!