Is ski season done once spring skiing starts? - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    I still want to go but it doesnt look good where I live. Basically our snow is gone but there is some left at the mountains. They may open on the weekend but it seems iffy.....

I'm looking forward to some spring skiing, but the webcam from Platty today vs Sunday is bumming me out.

image1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
    I'm looking forward to some spring skiing, but the webcam from Platty today vs Sunday is bumming me out.

image1.jpg
    I trying to not think about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable View Post
    Holy bare spots! Yikes. Might not be making it up for Saint Platty's Day if this rain/warmth continues. Hopefully they can get a few inches at the end of the week, but judging from that picture it may not be enough. Bottom of Freefall looks awful.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    This rain will definitely kill some of the natural snow terrain....Freefall included. The downside to not grooming and natural snow is that the base never gets hard and the warmer weather tends to kill those trails faster. It's all good, there will be plenty to ski this weekend. Don't forget...this was not a deep year despite the great conditions the last month. Platty is only reporting 93" to date out of a reported average of 175.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    BTW I used to love bump skiing, but I tore my ACL and meniscus two years ago (spring skiing) and the bumps just seem hard on the knees now! Like the over fifty post!
    You my friend need to get yourself to the gym. My doctor who is treating me now for a blown ACL & meniscus says that you should be able to leg press twice your weight so if you're 200lbs. you should be able to leg press 400lbs. He is a skier & has had a blown ACL for several years but can ski anything because he keeps his legs in shape. We are both in our late fifties & he didn't have surgery even though he is a surgeon & doesn't recommend surgery for me either. I'm only 4 weeks post injury plus I have a broken ankle also so I'm not there yet but fully plan on being 100% by next season. I just got the cast off my leg 2 hrs. ago but still have to wear a moon boot & use crutches to keep weight off my ankle so I can't do leg presses yet. I have been doing all kinds of non weight bearing exercises for my knee.

I love spring skiing, think it's the best time of the season. I fully expect this to be an exceptional spring season because I won't be able to ski until next year. I hope you all enjoy it.

Spring skiing is the best!
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by marcski View Post
    This rain will definitely kill some of the natural snow terrain....Freefall included. The downside to not grooming and natural snow is that the base never gets hard and the warmer weather tends to kill those trails faster. It's all good, there will be plenty to ski this weekend. Don't forget...this was not a deep year despite the great conditions the last month. Platty is only reporting 93" to date out of a reported average of 175.
    Their average is more like 30 inches right.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    You my friend need to get yourself to the gym. My doctor who is treating me now for a blown ACL & meniscus says that you should be able to leg press twice your weight so if you're 200lbs. you should be able to leg press 400lbs. He is a skier & has had a blown ACL for several years but can ski anything because he keeps his legs in shape. We are both in our late fifties & he didn't have surgery even though he is a surgeon & doesn't recommend surgery for me either. I'm only 4 weeks post injury plus I have a broken ankle also so I'm not there yet but fully plan on being 100% by next season. I just got the cast off my leg 2 hrs. ago but still have to wear a moon boot & use crutches to keep weight off my ankle so I can't do leg presses yet. I have been doing all kinds of non weight bearing exercises for my knee.

I love spring skiing, think it's the best time of the season. I fully expect this to be an exceptional spring season because I won't be able to ski until next year. I hope you all enjoy it.
    Your doctors knee never gives out on him? Are you going to take his advice and not fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    Your doctors knee never gives out on him? Are you going to take his advice and not fix it?
    According to him it doesn't because he keeps his leg strong. At our age it doesn't make sense to have surgery. He's been a joint surgeon for over 30 years. If he tells me I don't need surgery I'll take his advice especially since he's in the same boat as me. If it doesn't work out I can always have surgery at a later date.

Thread Information