• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

4aprice

There's always a 1-2 week stretch in late April to early May when I have to mow my lawn 3 times a week.

I'm not saying it won't get done, or that I won't fight the battle too. Just commenting that it is harder.

No doubt SB. I have an excuse to go to VT (daughter) and plan to use it this year. I know there are years when the weather starts to break down here that its easy to put the boards away. (last year for example) This is not one of them for me. Mowing is out of my mind right now.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

drjeff

I'm good usually up until the kids soccer games start on the weekends typically in late April. Then with both kids with games on Saturday and 1 kid also with a game on Sunday, logistically it gets VERY challenging :(

Edd

Absolutely loooove spring skiing. I'm hoping my best days of the season are yet to come.

2knees

season is just starting for me. cant wait for soft sunny bump days. best time of the year hands down.

Cannonball

It is much harder to get out in the spring, at least from here in Jersey. Daytrips aren't reasonable, so you have to take a whole weekend, and once you neglect the yardwork for a weekend or two, you're really fighting up uphill battle, especially in April.

Lame, I know, but it is what it is.

F*** the lawn! Get dlague's kid to mow your lawn, he doesn't want to go at this point anyway.

Edd

I'm good usually up until the kids soccer games start on the weekends typically in late April. Then with both kids with games on Saturday and 1 kid also with a game on Sunday, logistically it gets VERY challenging :(

Honestly curious I'm not a parent so forgive my cluelessness: would the kids rather go skiing than to games? I would pull every trick in the book to just hit the slopes and blow off that crap. The snow will be gone soon.

I would be a horrible parent.

4aprice

Honestly curious I'm not a parent so forgive my cluelessness: would the kids rather go skiing than to games? I would pull every trick in the book to just hit the slopes and blow off that crap. The snow will be gone soon.

I would be a horrible parent.

Parenting is hard and there are alot of times where it is best to go with the flow. If the kid is into spring and warm weather sports you have to be supportive. The other option I took and I'm lucky is to make skiing their end all, be all. My wife will stop as soon as we get back from Utah (Easter), but my boy is 1st and foremost a skier and would go all year if he could. You can't force kids to do anything. My daughter pretty much gave up skiing for a while and we made other arrangements and let her. Again I'm lucky she came back to it and is more into it then ever.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mister moose

Is dinner over once dessert begins? I mean, c'mon. The roast beef is off the table. The pop n serve rolls are all gone. Why hang around for dessert?

Why indeed.

At Killington they will groom the last blue trail deep into mid April. Wider skis help. After that, you need good skills in the bumps, a love of inclined water skiing, a charcoal grill, and a few friends to enjoy it with.

Morwax

is dinner over once dessert begins? I mean, c'mon. The roast beef is off the table. The pop n serve rolls are all gone. Why hang around for dessert?

Why indeed.

At killington they will groom the last blue trail deep into mid april. Wider skis help. After that, you need good skills in the bumps, a love of inclined water skiing, a charcoal grill, and a few friends to enjoy it with.

lol

Mpdsnowman

I still want to go but it doesnt look good where I live. Basically our snow is gone but there is some left at the mountains. They may open on the weekend but it seems iffy.....

Abominable

I'm looking forward to some spring skiing, but the webcam from Platty today vs Sunday is bumming me out.

image1.jpg

BenedictGomez

I'm looking forward to some spring skiing, but the webcam from Platty today vs Sunday is bumming me out.

Holy bare spots! Yikes. Might not be making it up for Saint Platty's Day if this rain/warmth continues. Hopefully they can get a few inches at the end of the week, but judging from that picture it may not be enough. Bottom of Freefall looks awful.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
This rain will definitely kill some of the natural snow terrain....Freefall included. The downside to not grooming and natural snow is that the base never gets hard and the warmer weather tends to kill those trails faster. It's all good, there will be plenty to ski this weekend. Don't forget...this was not a deep year despite the great conditions the last month. Platty is only reporting 93" to date out of a reported average of 175.

steamboat1

BTW I used to love bump skiing, but I tore my ACL and meniscus two years ago (spring skiing) and the bumps just seem hard on the knees now! Like the over fifty post!
You my friend need to get yourself to the gym. My doctor who is treating me now for a blown ACL & meniscus says that you should be able to leg press twice your weight so if you're 200lbs. you should be able to leg press 400lbs. He is a skier & has had a blown ACL for several years but can ski anything because he keeps his legs in shape. We are both in our late fifties & he didn't have surgery even though he is a surgeon & doesn't recommend surgery for me either. I'm only 4 weeks post injury plus I have a broken ankle also so I'm not there yet but fully plan on being 100% by next season. I just got the cast off my leg 2 hrs. ago but still have to wear a moon boot & use crutches to keep weight off my ankle so I can't do leg presses yet. I have been doing all kinds of non weight bearing exercises for my knee.

I love spring skiing, think it's the best time of the season. I fully expect this to be an exceptional spring season because I won't be able to ski until next year. I hope you all enjoy it.

ScottySkis

This rain will definitely kill some of the natural snow terrain....Freefall included. The downside to not grooming and natural snow is that the base never gets hard and the warmer weather tends to kill those trails faster. It's all good, there will be plenty to ski this weekend. Don't forget...this was not a deep year despite the great conditions the last month. Platty is only reporting 93" to date out of a reported average of 175.

Their average is more like 30 inches right.:D

Edd

You my friend need to get yourself to the gym. My doctor who is treating me now for a blown ACL & meniscus says that you should be able to leg press twice your weight so if you're 200lbs. you should be able to leg press 400lbs. He is a skier & has had a blown ACL for several years but can ski anything because he keeps his legs in shape. We are both in our late fifties & he didn't have surgery even though he is a surgeon & doesn't recommend surgery for me either. I'm only 4 weeks post injury plus I have a broken ankle also so I'm not there yet but fully plan on being 100% by next season. I just got the cast off my leg 2 hrs. ago but still have to wear a moon boot & use crutches to keep weight off my ankle so I can't do leg presses yet. I have been doing all kinds of non weight bearing exercises for my knee.

I love spring skiing, think it's the best time of the season. I fully expect this to be an exceptional spring season because I won't be able to ski until next year. I hope you all enjoy it.

Your doctors knee never gives out on him? Are you going to take his advice and not fix it?

steamboat1

Your doctors knee never gives out on him? Are you going to take his advice and not fix it?
According to him it doesn't because he keeps his leg strong. At our age it doesn't make sense to have surgery. He's been a joint surgeon for over 30 years. If he tells me I don't need surgery I'll take his advice especially since he's in the same boat as me. If it doesn't work out I can always have surgery at a later date.