• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

Bene288

Spring is bump skiing for me. I also tend to do a little park skiing since the snow is soft.

abc

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part.
That's your problem right there! As mentioned:
This couldn't be further from the truth. It's the opposite at most areas that remain open late into spring.

And,
While I will take anything just to keep going, he does not want to go any more since it is so boring! He will do pond skims! BTW, he is also not an early season skier since nothing is in the woods or on steeper chutes
You mention woods and chutes but not bumps? Bumps grow in spring! :)

Unless of course, he's so good at bumps he can straightline it so it's "boring" for him. Is he? A skiing god? ;)

mriceyman

ski season is over when the last of the snow melts. im trying to figure out where im going to hit and when in the coming weeks.

KevinF

First, if you can't find a way to challenge yourself on groomed terrain, then you have much left to learn.

Second, I wish more people had the attitude that skiing in the spring sucks. Less lift lines = more laps for me. :-D

NotEasyBeingGreen

My kids are welcome to park themselves in the lodge with a computer, but I'll be out until there's nothing left to be had. Then I'll cry, drink boat drinks, start counting down days until November and contemplating trips to Chile.

Cornhead

I loved the, "What the F happened to you?", looks I got today when I showed up looking like a red raccoon. 8)

Blockbuster at Platty was sublime yesterday. It did, however, kick my ass. I hobbled through work today, hey, I'm no Spring chicken, no pun intended, but what the hell, and I'm carrying a few extra lbs along for the ride. :wink:

Love Spring skiing, I can dilude myself into thinking I can ski bumps, any additional "scenery" is icing on the cake.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I loved the, "What the F happened to you?", looks I got today when I showed up looking like a red raccoon. 8)

Blockbuster at Platty was sublime yesterday. It did, however, kick my ass. I hobbled through work today, hey, I'm no Spring chicken, no pun intended, but what the hell, and I'm carrying a few extra lbs along for the ride. :wink:

Love Spring skiing, I can dilude myself into thinking I can ski bumps, any additional "scenery" is icing on the cake.

It's your namesake....and I can attest first hand! :beer::beer:

Last edited:

dlague

I am glad to see that I am in the majority here! My son suspected that I would be! Lots of great input and insight! So, I wasn't sayng that mountains are shutting down more difficult terrain in March, I was talking more about mid April to late April. In fact some resort close with good snow left! BTW, Jay Peak has kept Haynes open into May the last few years. We skied it on Mother's Day! I think resorts like Killington, Jay Peak, Stowe, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and the likes are good at keeping a variety open. I was talking to another friend of mine and their kids are also done for the season. What is that?

The trails that are available in spring are in his mind the easier trails, he is no ski god but loves hucking of things, tree skiing and the chutes at Jay. He also feels that too many ski areas close trials before there time is really up. Oh and he can ski the bumps but bump skiing is not his thing.

In any case I love spring skiing and making runs with just a single layer (t-shirts and shorts even) and hanging on the deck, the spring skiing parties etc. It is sad to see the mountains fade away the past winters fun. Spring skiing in my opinion is the celebration of the season past so I enjoy the hell out of it! My wife and I will also ski until the cows come out, so we are with every one here! We are also the type to hit up Killington on opening weekend! Funny thing is our son used to be that way too!

BTW I used to love bump skiing, but I tore my ACL and meniscus two years ago (spring skiing) and the bumps just seem hard on the knees now! Like the over fifty post!

MadMadWorld

I am glad to see that I am in the majority here! My son suspected that I would be! Lots of great input and insight! So, I wasn't sayng that mountains are shutting down more difficult terrain in March, I was talking more about mid April to late April. In fact some resort close with good snow left! BTW, Jay Peak has kept Haynes open into May the last few years. We skied it on Mother's Day! I think resorts like Killington, Jay Peak, Stowe, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and the likes are good at keeping a variety open. I was talking to another friend of mine and their kids are also done for the season. What is that?

The trails that are available in spring are in his mind the easier trails, he is no ski god but loves hucking of things, tree skiing and the chutes at Jay. He also feels that too many ski areas close trials before there time is really up. Oh and he can ski the bumps but bump skiing is not his thing.

In any case I love spring skiing and making runs with just a single layer (t-shirts and shorts even) and hanging on the deck, the spring skiing parties etc. It is sad to see the mountains fade away the past winters fun. Spring skiing in my opinion is the celebration of the season past so I enjoy the hell out of it! My wife and I will also ski until the cows come out, so we are with every one here! We are also the type to hit up Killington on opening weekend! Funny thing is our son used to be that way too!

BTW I used to love bump skiing, but I tore my ACL and meniscus two years ago (spring skiing) and the bumps just seem hard on the knees now! Like the over fifty post!

If hucking is his thing, check out Wildcat in the spring. They are probably the most liberal about keeping their expert terrain open deep into the spring. And god knows Wildcat has plenty of rocks to huck.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I think the 3, 4 time a year skiers, the very casual / occasional skiers, pretty much tune out from skiing starting right about now. Especially once a few 50 degree + days hit in the suburbs.

For the rest of us, not yet! !!!

Cornhead

I was there on Mother's Day, sorry Mom. Come again this year, Tmcc71 and I have shared turns at Jay on their last days the last two seasons, it's a tradition I have no problem continuing, seemed more like Winter last year. Spring skiing is always bittersweet to me, I love the corn snow, and the warm temps, and the "scenery", but I know the end is near. I always lament getting into good enough ski shape to handle skiing corn all day, then poof, season over. I took part in Time For Tuckerman's "Slackfest" on Memorial Day Weekend a couple years ago, it was great. Skied Sluice the next day at Tuck's. It was a great way to spend the holiday weekend, camping, hiking, skiing. I can remember everyone at work discussing their holiday plans prior to the weekend. Camping, going to the beach, etc. I got a lot of confused looks when I said I planned on skiing over the weekend.

hammer

I think the 3, 4 time a year skiers, the very casual / occasional skiers, pretty much tune out from skiing starting right about now. Especially once a few 50 degree + days hit in the suburbs.

For the rest of us, not yet! !!!
Over more or less for the rest of the family...I do want to get out again but spring activities will start to get in the way once the snow in the yard melts.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
It is much harder to get out in the spring, at least from here in Jersey. Daytrips aren't reasonable, so you have to take a whole weekend, and once you neglect the yardwork for a weekend or two, you're really fighting up uphill battle, especially in April.

Lame, I know, but it is what it is.

Morwax

My season goes into high gear after the febuary vacationers go home. Sun slush and lunch on the veranda
:beer:

4aprice

It is much harder to get out in the spring, at least from here in Jersey. Daytrips aren't reasonable, so you have to take a whole weekend, and once you neglect the yardwork for a weekend or two, you're really fighting up uphill battle, especially in April.

Lame, I know, but it is what it is.

The days (daylight at least) are longer and little bits of yard work can be done after work on weekdays. Anyways I'll fight that uphill battle to get more runs in. January and February are Pocono months for me, March and April are travel time. Will be doing the I-87 shuffle this weekend and then again most of April after returning from Utah. The lawn will recover, it always does.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
The days (daylight at least) are longer and little bits of yard work can be done after work on weekdays. Anyways I'll fight that uphill battle to get more runs in. January and February are Pocono months for me, March and April are travel time. Will be doing the I-87 shuffle this weekend and then again most of April after returning from Utah. The lawn will recover, it always does.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

There's always a 1-2 week stretch in late April to early May when I have to mow my lawn 3 times a week.

I'm not saying it won't get done, or that I won't fight the battle too. Just commenting that it is harder.