• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is ski season done once spring skiing starts?

dlague

I was talking about skiing into April and our son chimed in stating that the ski season is done! From his point of view, all of the best days of February are over and what is left will either be super soft wet snow or snow that has frozen and not carveable. Keep in mind he does not ski groomers unless he has to!

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part. While I will take anything just to keep going, he does not want to go any more since it is so boring! He will do pond skims! BTW, he is also not an early season skier since nothing is in the woods or on steeper chutes!

So how many see ski season as January to early March and how many will ski in November through May if they can?

I, for one, will ski in May if there is something open! If not, then Tucks!

dmc

Is my life over because I'm turning 50?

Hardly... It's over when it's over... :)

snowmonster

I'm an October to June skier. As far as I'm concerned, spring skiing is a whole different ball game. There's skiing in the heart of winter and there's spring skiing. Skiing in corn snow, in a t-shirt and girl watching on the porch. I'll ski the resorts until the last lift stops spinning in May then hike for turns until no turns can be had on Mt. Washington in June.

fbrissette

I was talking about skiing into April and our son chimed in stating that the ski season is done! From his point of view, all of the best days of February are over and what is left will either be super soft wet snow or snow that has frozen and not carveable. Keep in mind he does not ski groomers unless he has to!

The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part. While I will take anything just to keep going, he does not want to go any more since it is so boring! He will do pond skims! BTW, he is also not an early season skier since nothing is in the woods or on steeper chutes!

So how many see ski season as January to early March and how many will ski in November through May if they can?

First it will snow again. At least one more big dump. While I partly agree with your son, especially the refreezing part after an early thaw like we're experiencing now, some of the best skiing is usually in March. April (and hopefully May) skiing is definitely spring mode. Not the best time (think beer and burger on the hill) but definitely better than no skiing !

crank

+1 on above. I too have a gut feeling that we will get one more big dump. I remember one year back in the mid '80s Vt, NH and Maine got about 3' of snow right around St. Patty's day. I skied Sugarloaf mid-april - 100% open and Tuckermans Ravine in late May.

steamboat1

One of the best powder days I ever had was about 4-5 years ago on April 5 at the Loaf. Almost 3 ft fell overnight & there was no wind so the snow stayed were it fell. The best part was nobody was there because unless you were staying on the mountain you couldn't get there.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

I was under the impression that spring skiing is for the diehards, when the mountains bump up.

Bring your son to Wildcat anytime in April, and see if he gets bored.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The tough part of spring is the fact the the most challenging terrain goes first and by April we are left with easy blues or greens for the most part.

This couldn't be further from the truth. It's the opposite at most areas that remain open late into spring.

Angus

ski December, January and February to get ready for March, April and May.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
This past weekend I skied at Mount Snow. Every trail had excellent coverage, the trees were supurb, and it was nearly 50 degrees. So, no, spring skiing doesn't mean all the harder trails are closed. But, I do prefer to ski when the temperature is below freezing. Some people like true winter skiing better than spring skiing.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This couldn't be further from the truth. It's the opposite at most areas that remain open late into spring.
Exactly. Green circle terrain and lower intermediate terrain always melt out first.

Many skiers might suggest that the season is only just really beginning in March.

I've had numerous spring skiing days that were better than powder days.

You have to be more selective of what days you ski. Conditions will be rather poor during spring skiing if the temperature and sun exposure are not sufficient to soften the snow. However, it always snows in March and April so there is still powder to be had.

ScottySkis

All I know is the two days of spring conditions at my favorite place this past weekend, was probably some of the best snow days for me this year.

MadMadWorld

Sugarbush more often than not closes with Steins. Killington closes with Superstar. If you love bumps there is no better time!

bobbutts

Spring skiing is more my pace. Moguls, soft snow, sunny afternoons, light crowds, bbq, beer, babes, bring it.

skiking4

I love spring skiing. It's the best time to learn bumps + there's warm weather. I hate ice too.