Lift Towers on Greenline=New lift?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lift Towers on Greenline=New lift?

So what's the deal with the lift towers over Greenline? I went to Magic for the first time over the weekend and as I explored the Greenline/Disapearing Act area I saw towers that seem ready for chairs. Are these new or a failed project of the past?

Last edited by Boston Bulldog; Mar 12, 2013 at 9:25 PM.
    Days on the Snow:

Pre 2011:~20 per year
    2011-2012: 19
    2012-2013: 34
    2013-2014: 25
    2014-2015: 23
    2015-2015: 17

i heard installing (reinstalling?) that lift is high on the priority list. sounded odd to me but the explanation was that they needed it to provide access to easy trails, not forcing people to the top.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Past project. The lift went bye-bye when Magic went bankrupt. See more here: http://www.chairlift.org/magic.html
    Conrad, what's up with the towers on the Green lift? Have you ever seen this design? It says it's a Hall but it sure doesn't look like it.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

There was a lift there back in the day. If its the one that I think it is, then it's a long drawn out ordeal from the previous owners. They bought a used Borvig chair from Stratton and started to put it up themselves back in the early and mid-2000's.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

It's unfortunate they got rid of the chairlift over on Little Dipper too. That was a nice little learning area. I learned how to Snowboard there back in the 1980s. At the time Magic and Stratton were the only areas that allowed snowboarding in VT. You had to get "Certified" on that learning terrain to ride the Upper Mountain lifts and IIRC they'd stamp your lift ticket when you were deemed proficient enough to ride the upper mountain. They were also super paranoid about leashes on snowboards and the lifties would grab the leash every lift ride to make sure it was securely attached to your leg. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that anyone on skis could go straight to the top their first day out, but a snowboarder had to jump through hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    It's unfortunate they got rid of the chairlift over on Little Dipper too. That was a nice little learning area. I learned how to Snowboard there back in the 1980s. At the time Magic and Stratton were the only areas that allowed snowboarding in VT. You had to get "Certified" on that learning terrain to ride the Upper Mountain lifts and IIRC they'd stamp your lift ticket when you were deemed proficient enough to ride the upper mountain. They were also super paranoid about leashes on snowboards and the lifties would grab the leash every lift ride to make sure it was securely attached to your leg. I remember thinking how ridiculous it was that anyone on skis could go straight to the top their first day out, but a snowboarder had to jump through hoops.
    Why leashes, how is a snowboard going to escape ones feet? I would not want to see that happen.

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I learned how to Snowboard there back in the 1980s.
    That explains a lot. .

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Why leashes, how is a snowboard going to escape ones feet? I would not want to see that happen.
    Might not be enforced but I thought that some states still require it.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

I agree with DHS that getting the lift over in the learning area would be a much better play than adding chairs on Green Line. To be honest I'm not sure I really see the value in Green Line at any time even if they were flush with cash. Magic Carpet is a nice area for ppl to learn on which funnels right into the terrain served by the Green Line pod.

To me the priority check list at Magic would go like this:
    1) Continue to expand snowmaking----I think those who have been the mtn this yr can recognize and appreciate the increased snowmaking that has gone on this yr. Getting Talisman and Wizard open and staying open all season on the west side is a really good thing. A family can now ski the West Side all year long together as a family with the advanced rippers going down the blacks and the intermediates taking Tali/Wizard and meeting at the trail junctions.

2) Ensure Red/Black are operational at all times....the mtn is slowly building up good will and more folks are discovering what makes it more special for all ability levels. The negative publicity of lifts going down for any extended period of time can really hurt for potential customers down the line. They are old lifts so I'm sure its not cheap to keep them going but it's key to have Red going at all times and Black as a back up option.

3) Lift on Little Dipper....I wonder if they could re-purpose some of the towers from Green Line to help save costs?

4) Continue marketing to families as a lower cost, more laid back alternative to the "McResorts" nearby.

I think they are on the right path for sure---I can say I've personally introduced 6 ppl to Magic in the last 2 yrs who all loved it. None of them had heard of Magic in the past but certainly now have it on their radar.
    2018-19
    Wildcat 11/10

2017-2018 Days: 51
    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Trailboss is correct on the green line story. The only reason its somewhat high on the list is because of how much has already been done. The only advantage I see is giving racers access to that chair which will clear some congestion and also open the possibility of offering them a summit lift ticket for some reduced amount. Id rather see the money used elsewhere too.

Their goal for little dipper and rabbit run is to get a magic carpet over there to make a true beginner area. This winter some kids from our condo complex built a terrain park in there which my kids enjoyed. It has some rails, barrels and jumps.

Thread Information