• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Owl's Head - 3/13/2013

snowmonster

Date Skied: 3/13/2013
Ski Area: Owl's Head, Eastern Townships, Quebec
Conditions: Temps in the low 30's; Partly cloudy; Packed Powder and hardpacked (icy in spots); Minimal wind
Trip Report:

I drove into Magog the night before and it was pouring rain like crazy. This was the start of my second invasion of Quebec and I was fearing the worst for the snowpack. As I drove the country lanes into Owl's Head, it looked from a distance that it had good cover but I was worried that it may be closed due to a power failure that hit it from the day before.

When I got there, I was surprised that the parking lot had quite a good number of cars. Lift tickets every Tuesday and Wednesday sold for CAN$20 and that was a steal. Of the main lifts, only the Summit Quad, the Black Chair, the Lake Chair and a couple other chairs serving beginner terrain were running (Green Chair was shut) but that was enough to let you access all of the terrain. Basically, everything was open except the glades and some narrow natural snow trails. But, considering the deluge the night before, I was surprised that things held up well.

Snow surface alternated from soft and spring-y snow on the Lake Chair (Lake View, Couloir) to icy and bullet-proof on Colorado and Kamikazee (sic). Nice bumps were forming on Kormans Dive and Allee. The glades were not skiable and were really pounded by the rain but I still tried my hand at some short shots in the trees. Not worth it though unless you want to risk base damage.

Got off the mountain at around two to make the final push into Quebec City. Made a sidetrip to the Abbey at St. Benoit du Lac nearby just as the bells started ringing non-stop to announce the election of a new Pope!

Glad that I finally got to ski Owl's Head. I've now skied every ski area in the Eastern Townships. It's a small mountain but it's got lots of vertical. I would return. By the way, the views of the lake are simply amazing. Every run has you looking into this spectacular view. Best views are from Lilly's Leap and Lake View. Definitely bring a camera if you go!

On to Quebec City and Charlevoix!

Approaching Owl's Head
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363233564.676847.jpg

The lake view from Lake View
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363233620.811587.jpg

Upward Trail
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363233716.910598.jpg

Colorado
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363233767.681814.jpg

Hello Jay Cloud!
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363233813.843856.jpg

Last edited:

Edd

Very nice. You haven't been up this whole time I assume? You went back again?

snowmonster

^ I'm falling in love with Quebec so I had to make another trip. By the way, the Red Bull Crashed Ice skate race will start tomorrow (Thursday) through Saturday. Another reason to visit!

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1363236043.833215.jpg

snowmonster

Ace, I was surprised it held up so well. I was expecting huge brown spots.

Scotty, thanks, man. Aside from the skiing, you'll love the food in Montreal. And the people are so nice. Really nice.

ScottySkis

I hope to next winter for both culture and skiing thanks sounds like a chill place. Also got to find some " coffee shops" when I go.:thumbup: