World Class Skiing

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

World Class Skiing

Couple of years ago a buddy of mine and I were gloating over a particularly good day at Killington. He said to me "How could you not love the sun, snow and world class skiing?". I had never really thought of New England in terms of "world class skiing". I have skied and thought of Europe and the west in those terms but after thinking about it for a while I have to agree that we do indeed have it here in the east. (we're talking NNY and NNE). My feeling is that the advent of woods skiing (yes we've always had it but its really taken off in recent years) has really added to our eastern experience and maybe some of the finest in the world. Agree or Disagree?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Disagree.

But I ski have a helluva great time.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    Couple of years ago a buddy of mine and I were gloating over a particularly good day at Killington. He said to me "How could you not love the sun, snow and world class skiing?". I had never really thought of New England in terms of "world class skiing". I have skied and thought of Europe and the west in those terms but after thinking about it for a while I have to agree that we do indeed have it here in the east. (we're talking NNY and NNE). My feeling is that the advent of woods skiing (yes we've always had it but its really taken off in recent years) has really added to our eastern experience and maybe some of the finest in the world. Agree or Disagree?

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    I think of Stowe,.Smuggs, Sugarloaf, Killington, Jay, sugarbush, as Maybe world class for east because of size and natural snow fall. But does not compare to the west, I heard about back country at Stowe migth but I need someone to please show me that spots.

I think it all depends what your perspective is - our hills here in NE are not that tall so comparing ski resorts to those that are three times the elevation well obviously there is more acreage, more vert and often more snow! But having skied similar resorts in Southern California and Germany - we do have resorts that do a fine job and are world class if you compare apples to apples! My list would be more like Sunday River, Stowe, Sugarloaf, Killington, Jay, Sugarbush and Okemo in no prefered order!

BTW conditions vary so much in the North East - one day can change the way you view your experience! A couple of examples -

Try driving 3 hours to get to Sunday River and find out that most of the lifts are on wind stoppage (Last Year)
    Then this year we drive the three hour stretch and the skiing was awesome.

or

Ski Jay Peak three times in a row and experience freezing rain, pelting snow/sleet and high winds
    Then going there last February 26th to experience a 51" dump (World Class Day)

Both of these are great resorts and we never let the bad days cancel the great days but even world class resorts will have bad days!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Northeast mountains can compete with the vertical of the majority of mountains out west, it's the acreage and sprawl where they can't compare.

The key word about the east is variability. Hell, northern VT gets almost the same amount of snow as many CO resorts, but we have events like last weekend where we need a few storms just to recover and get terrain open.
    I also do the Twitters.

I agree. The east has always been World Class! A BIG SCOTTY FOR THE EAST!!! YEAH! WOOOO!!
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

Plenty good here.. it snows sometimes, great beer, trail character like nowhere else

I feel like maybe Sugarloaf with the new expansion can be compared as a big resort and pretty close to world-class skiing. Just... it's gotta all be open...

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I think it all depends what your perspective is - our hills here in NE are not that tall so comparing ski resorts to those that are three times the elevation well obviously there is more acreage, more vert and often more snow! But having skied similar resorts in Southern California and Germany - we do have resorts that do a fine job and are world class if you compare apples to apples! My list would be more like Sunday River, Stowe, Sugarloaf, Killington, Jay, Sugarbush and Okemo in no prefered order!

BTW conditions vary so much in the North East - one day can change the way you view your experience! A couple of examples -

Try driving 3 hours to get to Sunday River and find out that most of the lifts are on wind stoppage (Last Year)
    Then this year we drive the three hour stretch and the skiing was awesome.

or

Ski Jay Peak three times in a row and experience freezing rain, pelting snow/sleet and high winds
    Then going there last February 26th to experience a 51" dump (World Class Day)

Both of these are great resorts and we never let the bad days cancel the great days but even world class resorts will have bad days!
    I wonder what temperatures were like when the north East hills were mountains millions a years ago that went to 12000, feet. Were lucky to be enjoyed the oldest mountains range in the county. I guess it was pretty dam cold.

Quote Originally Posted by St. Bear View Post

The key word about the east is variability. Hell, northern VT gets almost the same amount of snow as many CO resorts, but we have events like last weekend where we need a few storms just to recover and get terrain open.
    I am pretty sure Jay and Stowe average close to 350 inches of snow and that is more then Aspen and some other resorts in Colorado get. That why I like flying to SlC because more chance for great snow and snow fall.

Thread Information