World Class Skiing - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hippiechick View Post
    I've only gone skiing here on good snow days, and I've been fairly impressed so far. I know several people who've skied in Europe, and I don't think we have a hill in the US that would consistently hold up to comparison.

IMHO.
    And IMHO, I think US easily holds a hand to the European resorts. Sure, it might not have the terrain, but I find the snow to be drier and in much, much larger quantities. The conditions are generally much, much better at US resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
    The conditions are generally much, much better at US resorts.
    Possibly out west, not in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by skiking4 View Post
    And IMHO, I think US easily holds a hand to the European resorts. Sure, it might not have the terrain, but I find the snow to be drier and in much, much larger quantities. The conditions are generally much, much better at US resorts.
    Give me the name of the US resort that compares to this. I'd love to go there. You may include snow quantities and snow density as criteria.

piste-map-les-trois-vallees-a53.jpg

^^^That map is fairly amazing. I understand you can connect many of the Utah resorts (Alta/SB is obvious), but it takes work.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Give me the name of the US resort that compares to this. I'd love to go there. You may include snow quantities and snow density as criteria.

piste-map-les-trois-vallees-a53.jpg
    Honestly, the snow really only compares to US resorts at the top 1 to 2 thousand vertical ft at the highest resorts. The snow is denser and in lesser quantities. Also, it's way less consistent, and more like comes in huge, massive, dumps.

The alps easily have the hand at vertical and size and terrain. But, IMHO, the snow is heavier and less consistent and overall, worse. With the exception of the top 1000 vertical or so, where snow stays dry and always cold

Sources: I have skied in Verbier, Swiss; Kitzbuhel, Austria; Val D'Isere/Tignes, France.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    Come on. Let's get serious. As much as i like skiing out east, we are not even in the same league as real world-class skiing resorts. We can have world class days, but if you really think we have world-class skiing out east, you really ought to go try Whistler-Blackcomb or les Trois-Vallées in France. Les trois vallées alone have nearly 200 lifts. You can ski there a week and never take the same lift twice (let alone the same run). Chamonix has nearly 10000' vertical in good snow conditions.
    I pretty much share the same sentiment. If skiing in the east was truly world-class, we should be seeing a lot more people travelling from around the world to ski here. We don't. Isn't that the definition of world class?

Do I feel blessed that I have so many skiing options within 4 hours of driving? Absolutely. Do I wish 4 hours of driving got me to Vail and Aspen instead of Killington or Stowe? You bet.

Title of thread is World Class Skiing.. Just the skiing part.. yes we have world class skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by Morwax View Post
    Title of thread is World Class Skiing.. Just the skiing part.. yes we have world class skiing.
    Definition of world class:

>> Ranking among the foremost in the world; of an international standard of excellence; of the highest order: a world-class figure skater

There is always some subjectivity involved in a topic like this. If you think that this definition applies to eastern ski resorts that's fine. My definition is simply a little bit more exclusive.

Other than the Brits, how many people from around the world take off time from work, travel and spend lots of money to ski/board in the northeast USA?
    Sent from my TACPOD (Tactical Airborne Command, Control, Communications and Intelligence Pod) using Satellite TADIL J Alternate Gateway Controller (Alternate STGC) via Blackjack

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    But if I'm not living in the east, I wouldn't travel half way around the world to ski Killington! World class my a**s
    This is what it all comes down to, IMO. The East does get some international visits and I don't quite understand that. But I'll be damned the last time I rode a lift from someone that lived in the west and was skiing the east just to try a new world class mountain. Maybe visiting relatives or traveling for business. International, I guess I can get that since they are traveling internationally, they are probably doing more than just skiing and the east is closer than the west. But I don't think there are nearly enough visitors coming here to truly be considered world class.
    -Steve
    TheSnowWay.com "Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Thread Information