• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Alyeska Resort - 3/4/2013 - 3/7/2013

WoodCore

Dates Skied: March 3, 2013 - March 8, 2013

Resort/Ski Area Skied: Alyeska Resort - Girdwood, AK

Conditions: Packed Powder, Powder, Deep Powder, Chugach Cement!

Had the pleasure of spending a great week in Alaska for our Honeymoon! The travel from the east coast is a bit on the brutal side with just about 9 hours of flight time and a 4 hour time difference but given the chance I would do it again at the drop of a hat!! We spent the first day in Anchorage and got to experience the ceremonial start of the Iditarod Dog Sled Race. Great to see this and some of the other craziness going on during the day including the "Running of the Reindeer!"

The skies cleared and we headed out of Anchorage late afternoon down the Seward Highway along the Turnagain Arm on or way up to Girdwood. Probably one of the most scenic roadways I've ever traveled!! The views of ocean to your left and huge mountains in every direction definitely made my neck hurt!

We hit the resort of Alyeska on Saturday night and grabbed a bunch of great skiing days! Conditions were good and pretty much got a little bit of everything! The terrain at Alyeska is pretty intense! Lots of steeps and plenty of acres to explore for sure. I was not disappointed and would rank it right up with some of the best in the continental 48! The North Face was a pretty amazing piece of real estate, very much like some of the aspects of the Cottonwood Canyons in Utah but bigger!! In general every thing in Alaska is bigger and Alyeska is not an exception to the rule! Best part is that this terrain is at sea level, so no altitude adjustment for us east coasters is needed!

Continued....

Cornhead

Congrats, on your marriage, and your honeymoon! Nice photos, looks like quite the adventure all-round. Now you can return to celebrate your anniversary!

jrmagic

Congratulations!! Um yeah. You could say I'm way jealous... well at least with the skiing ;). Seriously though, those pictures look fantastic. You and your Bride planned an awesome Honeymoon.

skiking4

Damn! Congrats on the honeymoon!
Now, did you buy out the mountain or something? Looks completely empty

Cannonball

This is an awesome trip report! Congrats and way to go! We did a nearly identical trip to Alyeska for our 10th anniversary. I can easily see repeating it at every milestone.

newskier

Cool pics. You just did one of the exact trips on my "wish list"---Iditarod and Alyeska combo.