• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 3/21/13

Zand

A beautiful sunny afternoon on the hill with temps around 30. Powder was all packed down on the trails but there were still untouched areas in the woods. Did a mix of woods, natural trails, and groomers all afternoon. All the groomers, specifically Big Dipper, were absolute soft butter. Willoughby had a few slightly scratchy spots but as also mainly butter as were Warrens and some other various recently groomed trails (Powderhorn, McHargs, Marshland).

Hit lots of woods including Sasquatch, Throbulator, Y-Knot, Lee's Loop, Jungle, and Hibernator. Sasquatch was actually pretty nice which is unusual. The old tree runs (Throb, Y-Knot, Jungle) were understandably shaky because the snow fell on little to no base, but all had a few untouched shots of powder which made hitting rocks and stumps worth it. The newer glades like Lee's Loop and Hibernator, which were added to the map this year, had better coverage but man are those trees tight.

Naturals like Doug's, Rerun, Fox's, and Wilderness were all pretty nice. A few icy spots in the usual skied off areas but tons of fun.

Taking tomorrow off, but then up to Jay Saturday (3 feet in the past 2 days) and more Burke Sunday. Trying to get out as much as possible over the next few weeks to enjoy the best conditions of the season.

ScottySkis

Sorry about lack of snow, I think we got it just past March in the Catskills and lower New England. Your trip reports are always awesome and I was wondering were they were this winter.

Zand

Yeah... I just didn't have the motivation to post about my once a week trip up to ski a couple groomers. The good news is that Burke looks poised to stay open a few weeks into April, then hopefully Jay makes it a couple weeks into May. Hell, the way Killington is rolling maybe I can ski there on my birthday in June this year.

legalskier

I've wanted to hit Burke for a long time but it's so far away for me that I always seem to get derailed along the way.

Taking tomorrow off, but then up to Jay Saturday (3 feet in the past 2 days)

Can we expect a TR with pics?

Last edited:

Zand

I've wanted to hit Burke for a long time but it's so far away for me that I always seem to get derailed along the way.

Can we expect a TR with pics?

You know... I take pics almost every time I go (including about 7 yesterday) but I can never successfully post them on here so I gave up trying lol.