• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nighttime sled poach=death at Carinthia

deadheadskier

Staff member
bummer

I can't recall ever hearing about people dying while sledding at ski hills. This makes 2 in 1 season.

drjeff

Its about 100 feet from the bottom of the 1/2 pipe to the deck on the front of the Carinthia lodge. I took a little closer look at it this past weekend and right now theres about a 2 to maybe 3 foot difference between the top of the snowpack and the bottom of the deck framing. When there's no snow on the ground infront of the deck, the deck is about 10 feet off the ground

Wow, that sucks. I have the standard thoughts about safety and advisability of sledding in the dark, but it's really sad to see people injured or killed a) having fun in the snow and b) doing something that usually isn't life-threateningly dangerous.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
It's funny, growing up sledding you think it's not really that dangerous. But a ski slope is (usually) so much steeper / longer / bigger / faster than typical sledding hill. I mean when you think about it if you barrel down on skis most runs, even blues, you can very very easily hit 35 - 40 mph in short time. That's above typical sledding speeds.

skiNEwhere

if you barrel down on skis most runs, even blues, you can very very easily hit 35 - 40 mph in short time. That's above typical sledding speeds.

Yup. Except you can't really stop on a sled. Which that guy probably didn't realize until it was too late.

o3jeff

It's funny, growing up sledding you think it's not really that dangerous. But a ski slope is (usually) so much steeper / longer / bigger / faster than typical sledding hill. I mean when you think about it if you barrel down on skis most runs, even blues, you can very very easily hit 35 - 40 mph in short time. That's above typical sledding speeds.

Sad story.

I've sledded down Mt Southington during my younger drunken days. On a plastic sled on packed snow that is frozen over, you end up with a ton of speed and you have very little control other than bailing off to stop.

wa-loaf

A couple years ago some company was promoting these back country sleds and had some vids of them sledding the woods. So some dudes got some and decided to sled the woods at Wachusett. One of them of course hit something and didn't make it.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Yeah, and when you're hitting those kind of speeds you can be just a few feet from a tree or a lift tower. Not to mention skiing next to a cliff that can be hundreds of feet down to the ground.

C-Rex

Not to sound insensitive to the guys family but this is Darwin Award material. I mean, that was just really dumb. Alcohol had to be involved. I am a bit surprised that it was an older guy with a family. I would have expected someone in their late teens/early twenties and single. Most people with families have better self preservation instincts.

bvibert

Staff member
A couple years ago some company was promoting these back country sleds and had some vids of them sledding the woods. So some dudes got some and decided to sled the woods at Wachusett. One of them of course hit something and didn't make it.

That company was based in the MRV, if I remember correctly.

when i was a kid we went to bolton valley alot and would sled down the very end of the (very flat) condo run and would get going so fast we'd crash into the condos...i guess my point is you can get going reallllly fast in a very short distance even on a mellow slope with a sled on hardpack