Arcadia National Park - Maine - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Are there poisonous mushrooms around there too? Hate to grab the wrong ones!
    Yeah, don't pick any if you don't know what you are doing. Not sure if there is anything that will kill you, but plenty that can make you very sick.

    Lots of Chanterelles grow in the area. Those are the only ones I'm confident picking.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post
    Yeah, don't pick any if you don't know what you are doing. Not sure if there is anything that will kill you, but plenty that can make you very sick.

    Lots of Chanterelles grow in the area. Those are the only ones I'm confident picking.
    I've seen on the news that they can wreck havoc on your stomach and digestive system. My grandmother used to pick wild mushrooms at their cottage and I remember them being real good!
    2009/2010 - 28

    2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

    2008/09 - 33

  3. #23
    Also, there are a couple 1000 foot mtns near Tunk Lake that's maybe 30 mins NE of Acadia. They make a great hike, have virtually no tourists, and spectacular views of the island.

    http://www.mainetrailfinder.com/trai...lack-mountain/

    You can play with this website and find a bunch of nice hikes in the area.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Are there poisonous mushrooms around there too? Hate to grab the wrong ones!
    If you need to ask, this is not the pasttime for you.

    Last edited by David Metsky; Apr 9, 2013 at 4:21 PM.

  5. #25
    bigbog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Bangor and the state's woodlands
    Posts
    4,871
    Jeff...are you seriously going to trust a bumpqueen's dietary recs? Will you write me into your will for your skis...y/n?
    SteveD

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    Jeff...are you seriously going to trust a bumpqueen's dietary recs? Will you write me into your will for your skis...y/n?
    Hell no!

    Actually no one's has dibbs on the skis yet, my 11 yo nephew already claimed my car, TV, iPhone, iPad an Macbook if something happens to me!
    2009/2010 - 28

    2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

    2008/09 - 33

  7. #27

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    It helps to get the name right - it's Acadia.

    But... but.... Mainers are always messing with the "R's". It's Bah Hahbah that you drive into with your cah. Gotta do something with all those missing "r's", might as well put em into Arcadiar
    lovin life,

    Bob

  9. #29
    Don't forget the buses either. I like how you can do one way hikes; and there are numerous options and the buses make them viable unless you have someone picking you up on the other side. Sure, Acadia can be busy during July and August but the point is there's always somewhere to get away from the crowds. Sand Beach can be amazing especially on a very hot day. On a streak of a couple hot days, that's when the beach is at it's best and it's far better than anything I've been to otherwise in Southern ME or NH. Taking the bus can have it's own headaches (like 5-10 minute layovers at Blackwoods Campground but that's one of the best campgrounds to stay in and you can't go wrong at $20 a night even though you'll spend a few dollars of it each night on showers even if you take every other day off from showering; showers are $1.50 for 4 minutes). One of the most amazing mountain hikes is hiking up Dorr from Sieur De Monts and traversing to Cadillac and then either decend North or West ridge. Let the bus pick you up in the end. Buses end a bit early from the North Ridge stop but if they do, hike towards the nearby two way road to catch the Jordan Pond bus which runs late.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southington, CT
    Posts
    9,792
    Quote Originally Posted by mlkrgr View Post
    Don't forget the buses either. I like how you can do one way hikes; and there are numerous options and the buses make them viable unless you have someone picking you up on the other side. Sure, Acadia can be busy during July and August but the point is there's always somewhere to get away from the crowds. Sand Beach can be amazing especially on a very hot day. On a streak of a couple hot days, that's when the beach is at it's best and it's far better than anything I've been to otherwise in Southern ME or NH. Taking the bus can have it's own headaches (like 5-10 minute layovers at Blackwoods Campground but that's one of the best campgrounds to stay in and you can't go wrong at $20 a night even though you'll spend a few dollars of it each night on showers even if you take every other day off from showering; showers are $1.50 for 4 minutes). One of the most amazing mountain hikes is hiking up Dorr from Sieur De Monts and traversing to Cadillac and then either decend North or West ridge. Let the bus pick you up in the end. Buses end a bit early from the North Ridge stop but if they do, hike towards the nearby two way road to catch the Jordan Pond bus which runs late.
    Thanks for the tip on using the buses.

    Does the ocean water get warm enough to go swimming in there?
    2009/2010 - 28

    2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

    2008/09 - 33

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:25 AM.