Ski Areas Still Open Spring 2013 - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    106 are still open in the East from Thunder Bay ON to Labrador then down to Virginia. It's the ultimate list - took me a few hours to research and compile.

48 of them in Quebec. Complete list is in my blog post (I won't spam it here - check the link on the closing thread).

Over half the areas are calling this weekend their last, so go out and ski.

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    106 are still open in the East from Thunder Bay ON to Labrador then down to Virginia. It's the ultimate list - took me a few hours to research and compile.

48 of them in Quebec. Complete list is in my blog post (I won't spam it here - check the link on the closing thread).

Over half the areas are calling this weekend their last, so go out and ski.
    I think you made a mistake with Sugarloaf. I mean how can they be closing April 14 if their season pass-holders bbq is scheduled for April 21?
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    I think you made a mistake with Sugarloaf. I mean how can they be closing April 14 if their season pass-holders bbq is scheduled for April 21?
    That's what I thought when I first saw the date; I've seen it somewhere on their website and it has been mentioned online. So the date is out there, but I also hope its a mistake.

Going skiing now, have a nice weekend.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Yeah, no way the Loaf is done next weekend. From their snow report today (on how today is too cold for corn): "We're well into April, but we've got plenty of snow to last for weeks to come, and these nice cool days are just the trick for keeping the mountain white and coverage vast."
    '13-14: 12/18 Mt Agamenticus, 12/27 Crotched, 1/4 local, 1/5 local, 2/5 Bradford, 2/7 Bradford, 2/13 local, 2/16 local, 2/18 Magic, 3/1 Crotched, 3/5 local, 3/11 MRG, 3/12 MRG, 3/13 MRG, 3/14 MRG, 3/15 MRG, 3/16 MRG, 3/17 MRG, 4/6 MRG, 4/10 Mt. Cardigan, 4/18 Cannon
    TOTAL: 21 (7 earned, 7 POW, 3 spring corn, 3 different NELSAs, 2 Midnight Madness)

I'm avoiding the closings thread so apologies if these are already noted there, but MRG's morning report says both that today is their last day and "We May try and re-open for next weekend - stay tuned we'll make the call on Wednesday!"

Weather doesn't look too promising early this week but NWS-Burlington discussion this morning does say:

ALL OF THIS POINTS TO PERSISTENT FOCUSINGMECHANISMS FOR PRECIPITATION ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA WEDNESDAYTHROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT. MAJORITY OF THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD BE INTHE FORM OF RAIN...BUT THERE MAY BE SOME PERIODS WHERE THE HIGHERELEVATIONS PICK UP SOME SNOW.
    '13-14: 12/18 Mt Agamenticus, 12/27 Crotched, 1/4 local, 1/5 local, 2/5 Bradford, 2/7 Bradford, 2/13 local, 2/16 local, 2/18 Magic, 3/1 Crotched, 3/5 local, 3/11 MRG, 3/12 MRG, 3/13 MRG, 3/14 MRG, 3/15 MRG, 3/16 MRG, 3/17 MRG, 4/6 MRG, 4/10 Mt. Cardigan, 4/18 Cannon
    TOTAL: 21 (7 earned, 7 POW, 3 spring corn, 3 different NELSAs, 2 Midnight Madness)

Damn a lot of places closed today. WTF is up with closing with 90% terrain still open?

Didn't these ski areas want a decent spring skiing season? Apparently it makes no difference to areas unless they are Killington and devoted to staying open as late as possible.
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Damn a lot of places closed today. WTF is up with closing with 90% terrain still open?

Didn't these ski areas want a decent spring skiing season? Apparently it makes no difference to areas unless they are Killington and devoted to staying open as late as possible.
    If no one is spending money, they have to close, I love like everyone else for them still be open but then your talking more bankrupt places, and no one wants that.

Just skied Stratton this weekend. While the weather was a little tricky, coverage on the trails was wall to wall and midwinter like.

Weather was spring like though so we got frozen hardpack in morning and mashed potatoes in the afternoon.

Only disappointment was that they closed the sun bowl area and lifts with what looked like full coverage. Maybe they didn't have the staff to cover it.

Should last another week unless there's a massive warm up.

Sent from a Samsung Fascinate running CM 10.1
    wish i were skiing.....

Quote Originally Posted by tekweezle View Post
    Maybe they didn't have the staff to cover it.
    Same thing at Bolton Valley, however, I was talking to a manager at Bolton Valley and one of the problems they face are the employees leaving to find summer jobs! Many of the employees - obvoiusly - are not year round and the amount of business does not warrant it either! Many resorts are hanging in there and taking a shot at one more weekend. Of course there are the big boys who will play into May!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

sunapee has tons of snow and easy access to metro boston and they close next sunday...easily could go to pats day but no one was there on sunday...cold and frozen in am and soft and sunny in pm...great day overall with family.

Thread Information