• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Areas Still Open Spring 2013

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Jay Peak VT – April 29
Mont St-Sauveur QC – May 6

Correct. Last year was exceptional as it was the first time in over 38 years that no US NE ski areas opened in May.

I should focus on previous season closing dates on next week's Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread Part 7. The fact that Killington seems to be back to it's old attitude to extend the season as long as it can will change the dynamic as they haven't been in the game this late in years.

ScottySkis

Correct. Last year was exceptional as it was the first time in over 38 years that no US NE ski areas opened in May.

I should focus on previous season closing dates on next week's Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread Part 7. The fact that Killington seems to be back to it's old attitude to extend the season as long as it can will change the dynamic as they haven't been in the game this late in years.
I think years hot winter with no snow also contributed to know one staying open in MAy.

The Future

Website
www.snowboardprogression.com

Its always nice to see a resort stay open as long as they can. So painful to see places close when they still have a solid base.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
I just updated my post with the latest info:

MSS officially push for one extra weekend: May 17-18.
Killington still June 2.

I screw up the date for MSS...it was May 18-19...regardless, they mentioned that they will open on Monday May 20. No word if its going to be their last day.

Skiing Not Gone Yet – Eastern Closing Thread 2012-2013 Part 7
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013...-yet-eastern-closing-thread-2012-2013-part-7/

Bunch of info and geek stuff on my latest update.

Have fun this weekend...earned or not.

BTW : IF someone is looking for a place to rent ... bachelor apt in Montreal (Rosemont), let me know. I have a place to rent. Negotiable rent for maggots.

Advert in French is up.
http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-immobil...u-3-1-2-Rosemont-3e-avenue-W0QQAdIdZ485255561

SIKSKIER

Sounds like they opened 1 more day in case Killington can't reopen this coming weekend they will be the last in the east.Oh wait,is it a holiday weekend?Victoria Day?

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Sounds like they opened 1 more day in case Killington can't reopen this coming weekend they will be the last in the east.Oh wait,is it a holiday weekend?Victoria Day?

It's a Holiday, so it is normal. That being said, they are closed today. They will not open if it's crappy weather only to spin for less than a dozen skiers. Most people went out on Saturday, yesterday was fairly quiet with gray skies and rain in the forecast. If the weather (meaning crowd attracting weather vs snowpack) is going to determine if MSS opens next weekend. The snowpack is still very pretty thick...measured in feet, not inches.

K being open or not isn't part of the equation on being open or not. They only look at Quebec and they are miles ahead of anyone else.

The same can be said with MSS not being part of the equation in the eyes of K.

That being said, there were people from St. Albans VT yesterday that came up to ski MSS. I asked them if they were in the area or it was planned for the skiing? They answered for the skiing. As for myself, I had business to take care of in MTL and couldn't leave the city before noon. Managed 2.5 hours of skiing before heading back to Ottawa.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
From what I saw yesterday, I would say that there might be enough snow to make it to June. MSS will not open if it is walking required, so they would need to push some snow and the top to make that far.

MSS has been burnt badly for mentioning a June closing into the Spring they fall short by 2-3 weekends. I guess they are playing it low key and no longer making crazy claims.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
From what I saw yesterday, I would say that there might be enough snow to make it to June. MSS will not open if it is walking required, so they would need to push some snow and the top to make that far.

MSS has been burnt badly for mentioning a June closing into the Spring they fall short by 2-3 weekends. I guess they are playing it low key and no longer making crazy claims.

MSS probably looked at the forecast and went...nope, that's it. We've had a good run, but we're calling it a season. Website and FB page talks that they are done. They still had 4-10 feet snow on Sunday, but too little skiers with the gray skies.

K talking Fri-Mon for Memorial Day weekend.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
No Encore at St-Sauveur – Eastern Closing Thread 2012-13 Part 8
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013...sauveur-eastern-closing-thread-2012-13-part8/

The title says it all...I still think that MSS is throwing in the towel to easy after skiing there on Sunday. I've seen worst conditions for last weekends of them than 4-10 feet base. Yeah it's been pouring, but...

It's been mentioned elsewhere...but this is the thread so...

Last call for Killington. The blog post has been updated (see link above). Free skiing on Sat-Sun with walking required.

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
It's been mentioned elsewhere...but this is the thread so...

Last call for Killington. The blog post has been updated (see link above). Free skiing on Sat-Sun with walking required.

Okay here is my last post of the Eastern Closing Thread.

Thoughts on the end of season, Eastern liftserved and beyond (ie. Not East or not liftserved).

Some geeky analysis on previous dates and stuff. Some of you might be interested.

It’s a Wrap and the Storm – Eastern Closing Thread 2012-13- Part Last
http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013...orm-eastern-closing-thread-2012-13-part-last/

Kudos for Killington. They really earned it, they (in recent years) or any other ski areas wouldn't have spun the lifts in the shape that Superstar was this weekend. If it would have been with the normal standards, both MSS and K would have closed for the season the previous season.

Congrats to K. That being said, the ski season isn't over, you just have to be hungrier to get some turns now.

JimG.

Staff member
At 5:30 on Sunday I went to the webcam and watched folks making their last lift served turns. I was envious.

How pathetic am I?

dlague

At 5:30 on Sunday I went to the webcam and watched folks making their last lift served turns. I was envious.

How pathetic am I?

Not pathetic at all! We get it! The fact that we are posting on a forum for skiing and snowboarding on a day that is going to hit 90+ says it all - we miss WINTER!

It has been a great season - Started November 17th 2012 @ Killington and ended it on May 5th 2013 with 39 days of turns (new personal best)! Already looking forward to next year!