Ski Areas Still Open Spring 2013 - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    How busy are the Canadian areas this time of year?
    Not much difference with the US, they are pretty empty.

I know they obviously have a temperature advantage for preserving snow. It's just puzzling to me that so many areas up there are still going for it in comparison to down here in New England, despite New England having a major population advantage to draw business from.
    We get generally less snow than places in New England, but it is definitely colder. Unlike last season, many areas closed due to lack of customers. I skied outside Ottawa last Sunday and everything was skiable (I still need to write TR and many others).

Well, look at the size of the territory. Very few ski areas are in the same market.

For example, this weekend:
    Major ski areas in term of drawing power:
    - St-Sauveur and Avila in the Laurentians are connected, under the same ownership and the closest ski areas north of Montreal.
    - Orford and Sutton are in the Townships and slightly over 1 hour from Montreal.
    - Ste-Anne's mountain is close to Quebec City and similar to Tremblant without the Disneyfied Village.

Smaller places:
    - Massif du Sud, south shore of Quebec City in the Appalachians.
    - In the Saguenay you have Mont Édouard and Le Valinouet (which pulled the plug on their season today due the rain forecast - they had 100% open terrain last weekend)
    - Mont Comi and Mont Miller are in the Gaspe. First one near the town of Rimouski, the other one is hours area from the Comi or Rimouski in the remote inland on the edge of the Chic Chocs in the town of Murdochville, an old mining town with great snow.

Real small places:
    - Mont Video (near Amos) and Mont Chalco (Chibougamau) are small local hill in remote area of the province.

So you would see, some of these are just real small operations, similar to Smokey Mountain in Labrador City, NL. Now that is remote and deserted compare to the south.

Are Canadians just more down with spring skiing than Americans?
    So my answer would be 'no', but it helps when they is snow in your backyard. Reminds you that they might still be some skiing. BTW, Ottawa got something like 4 inches last Friday. The last patch of Winter snow has just disappeared from my lawn this week.

There is also the number of ski areas in operations. I know I've gotten a wide eye response on a "How Many Ski Areas you've skied" thread, it might have been here or on Harvey Road. Someone mentioned they didn't even think that they were so many ski areas in Quebec. The official count is somewhere around 85 ski areas (that number was above 110 in 1980), so they what we are looking at this weekend is something like 14% of the ski areas open, which is probably worst than Vermont's ratio.

Edit: decided to look how long google calculated the travel time to some of these areas.

Montreal to Mont Video (NW) - 6 1/2 hours
    Quebec City to Mont Video (NW) - 8 3/4 hours
    Montreal to Mont Chalco or Mont Miller - 9 hours
    Quebec City to Mont Chalco (N) or Mont Miller (E) - 7 hours
    Mont Comi to Mont Miller in the same region - 3h45
    Mont Video to Mont Miller - 15 1/2!!!
    Last edited by MadPatSki; Apr 20, 2013 at 12:04 AM.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

One more question. How late into Spring/Summer are folks still earning turns up in the Chic Chocs?

One more question. How late into Spring/Summer are folks still earning turns up in the Chic Chocs?
    Hard to say, the area is remote and I believe that places in the Park are off-limits (April 15?) due to the caribou population in the Spring time. There are places just outside the park that will have people skiing in late May, maybe early June. I know I've seen picture from people crossing a patch of snow on the high plateau in June or early July. On that note, a few of us here on AZ have skied Tuckerman in July. I know one member that write rarely even skied on a big snow year in Tux in August.
    Ski Mad World

Looks like we're down to four ski areas in New England and probably the entire eastern United States, but the ski areas that are open will probably all stay open into May.
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Looks like we're down to four ski areas in New England and probably the entire eastern United States, but the ski areas that are open will probably all stay open into May.
    That is what I saw last night. Loaf, Bush, Jay and Kmart. A huge contrast with no one making it to May in the Eastern US last season.

Quebec is down to 2-3 for next weekend (St-Sauveur, Ste-Anne and maybe Miller). Ontario's Blue was still a maybe for next weekend.

I should be able to post an update on Ski Mad World in the next few days.
    Ski Mad World

Little change from last week except that Killington is the only ski area going daily.
    2013-2014 Season
    Mt. Abram 4/4
    Sunday River: 12/26, 1/4, 1/5, 2/15, 4/4
    Wildcat: 4/1
    Sugarloaf: 3/1, 3/16
    Titcomb: 3/15
    Black Mountain NH: 1/13

"A Maine Ski Lift Enthusiast" page
    2012-2013 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad View Post
    Little change from last week except that Killington is the only ski area going daily.
    MSS is also going daily and is also the last Eastern ski area still spinning. This past weekend saw Sutton, Ste-Anne and Blue in Ontario end their season. Mt Miller in a remote town in the Gaspé, despite being potential 75% open this weekend, didn't reopen due to the weather.

So, some change in Canada.

Five are wilds - Here is my weekly lift update for May. May Five - Part Five!!!

May Five – Eastern Closing Thread 2012-2013 Part 5
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/...2-2013-part-5/
    Ski Mad World

Part 6 - Corn Deep in May - Down to two ski areas spinning on weekends (and Fri for K). MSS and K

http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/...012-13-part-6/

A couple of interesting stats for the last 8 seasons:

MSS has made 8 times in May, followed by Loaf, Bush and Killington at 5 times.

I should work on a TR about MSS this Sunday. It was hot.
    Last edited by MadPatSki; May 7, 2013 at 8:46 AM.
    Ski Mad World

What a change from last season. What was the final closing date for NE resorts last year out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    What a change from last season. What was the final closing date for NE resorts last year out of curiosity?
    Jay Peak VT – April 29
    Mont St-Sauveur QC – May 6

Thread Information