Ski Areas Still Open Spring 2013 - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 97
  1. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Jay Peak VT – April 29
    Mont St-Sauveur QC – May 6
    Correct. Last year was exceptional as it was the first time in over 38 years that no US NE ski areas opened in May.

    I should focus on previous season closing dates on next week's Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread Part 7. The fact that Killington seems to be back to it's old attitude to extend the season as long as it can will change the dynamic as they haven't been in the game this late in years.

    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

  2. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    Correct. Last year was exceptional as it was the first time in over 38 years that no US NE ski areas opened in May.

    I should focus on previous season closing dates on next week's Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread Part 7. The fact that Killington seems to be back to it's old attitude to extend the season as long as it can will change the dynamic as they haven't been in the game this late in years.
    I think years hot winter with no snow also contributed to know one staying open in MAy.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    Correct. Last year was exceptional as it was the first time in over 38 years that no US NE ski areas opened in May.

    I should focus on previous season closing dates on next week's Ski Mad World Eastern Closing Thread Part 7. The fact that Killington seems to be back to it's old attitude to extend the season as long as it can will change the dynamic as they haven't been in the game this late in years.

    Its always nice to see a resort stay open as long as they can. So painful to see places close when they still have a solid base.

  4. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by The Future View Post
    Its always nice to see a resort stay open as long as they can. So painful to see places close when they still have a solid base.
    +1

  5. #85
    I just updated my post with the latest info:

    MSS officially push for one extra weekend: May 17-18.
    Killington still June 2.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

  6. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    I just updated my post with the latest info:

    MSS officially push for one extra weekend: May 17-18.
    Killington still June 2.
    I screw up the date for MSS...it was May 18-19...regardless, they mentioned that they will open on Monday May 20. No word if its going to be their last day.


    Skiing Not Gone Yet Eastern Closing Thread 2012-2013 Part 7
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com/2013/...2-2013-part-7/


    Bunch of info and geek stuff on my latest update.


    Have fun this weekend...earned or not.


    BTW : IF someone is looking for a place to rent ... bachelor apt in Montreal (Rosemont), let me know. I have a place to rent. Negotiable rent for maggots.


    Advert in French is up.
    http://montreal.kijiji.ca/c-immobili...AdIdZ485255561
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

  7. #87
    SIKSKIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bedford and Franconia NH
    Posts
    3,667
    Sounds like they opened 1 more day in case Killington can't reopen this coming weekend they will be the last in the east.Oh wait,is it a holiday weekend?Victoria Day?
    SIKSKIER

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by SIKSKIER View Post
    Sounds like they opened 1 more day in case Killington can't reopen this coming weekend they will be the last in the east.Oh wait,is it a holiday weekend?Victoria Day?
    It's a Holiday, so it is normal. That being said, they are closed today. They will not open if it's crappy weather only to spin for less than a dozen skiers. Most people went out on Saturday, yesterday was fairly quiet with gray skies and rain in the forecast. If the weather (meaning crowd attracting weather vs snowpack) is going to determine if MSS opens next weekend. The snowpack is still very pretty thick...measured in feet, not inches.

    K being open or not isn't part of the equation on being open or not. They only look at Quebec and they are miles ahead of anyone else.

    The same can be said with MSS not being part of the equation in the eyes of K.

    That being said, there were people from St. Albans VT yesterday that came up to ski MSS. I asked them if they were in the area or it was planned for the skiing? They answered for the skiing. As for myself, I had business to take care of in MTL and couldn't leave the city before noon. Managed 2.5 hours of skiing before heading back to Ottawa.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

  9. #89
    From what I saw yesterday, I would say that there might be enough snow to make it to June. MSS will not open if it is walking required, so they would need to push some snow and the top to make that far.

    MSS has been burnt badly for mentioning a June closing into the Spring they fall short by 2-3 weekends. I guess they are playing it low key and no longer making crazy claims.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    From what I saw yesterday, I would say that there might be enough snow to make it to June. MSS will not open if it is walking required, so they would need to push some snow and the top to make that far.

    MSS has been burnt badly for mentioning a June closing into the Spring they fall short by 2-3 weekends. I guess they are playing it low key and no longer making crazy claims.
    MSS probably looked at the forecast and went...nope, that's it. We've had a good run, but we're calling it a season. Website and FB page talks that they are done. They still had 4-10 feet snow on Sunday, but too little skiers with the gray skies.

    K talking Fri-Mon for Memorial Day weekend.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:07 PM.